Purple Tang Becoming a Predator!!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter richserpe
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

richserpe

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 3, 2023
Messages
160
Reaction score
141
Location
Clark
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all:

I just got a Dendro from Tidal Gardens. It came in fat and happy and after dipping and acclimating, he got his permanent spot on top of the rockwork. After a couple of days, I saw that half of him had disappeared and skeleton was showing. I saw my purple tang nipping in and around his area. I know these guys get bored or hungry and start getting into mischief. I also know that they nip at dead or dying coral tissue on occasion. The Dendro was doing fine. I would target feed him during regular feedings when the fish were distracted/occupied. My next move is to offer nori on a clip on the other side of the tank. Has anyone else experienced this and what did you do about it? Thanks
 
To protect your Dendro, immediately move it to a higher-flow area away from the tang’s main paths or use a temporary shield while increasing nori feedings 2-3 times daily on the opposite side of the tank, continue aggressive target feeding of the coral, monitor closely for further damage, and consider rehoming one of them if the nipping persists despite these changes
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new