5 Day old Apex - Salinity/Conductivity Probe Already Going South

burton14e7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I had been reading as the possible culprit for this is temp compensation but looking at my chart you can see there is no correlation between the two. I'm thinking the probe has already malfunctioned but thought I would check with the collective experience in the forum before I hit up Neptune. What are your guys thoughts? User error that I can correct or bad probe?

Things I already checked:
  1. auto top off - sump level has been rock solid stable at the optical sensors on my ATK
  2. my salinity is miraculously dropping for no reason - checked with my Milwaukee digital refractometer which has temp compensation and my salinity is rocking a solid 1.025
  3. Something I did today is causing the salinity to drop -
    1. All I've done is fed the fish.
    2. I do wet skim but that would cause salinity to rise

salinity temp.jpg

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wet skim will cause salinity to go down not up.
as you skim water with nasty's your skimmer is throwing out some saltwater into the drain and in order to replace that saltwater that left the system ATO will try to compensate with rodi water which has not salt in it. thus over time salinity will start to drop.

OP
OP
burton14e7

burton14e7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wet skim will cause salinity to go down not up.
as you skim water with nasty's your skimmer is throwing out some saltwater into the drain and in order to replace that saltwater that left the system ATO will try to compensate with rodi water which has not salt in it. thus over time salinity will start to drop.

Ah I misunderstood that. You think it would make it drop from 35 to 29 in one day randomly? It's been holding steady at 29 since last night, according to the probe that is. My digital refractometer is still saying 1.025 on the money.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depending on how much water is skimmed it is possible to shift salinity slightly but in order to drop from 1.026 to 1.021 it will take several gals of saltwater to be dumped/replaced by rodi water. unless it was a very small tank. my feeling is your probe needs calibration. if refrac is well calibrated with a standard salinity solution then i would trust it over the probe. (worse case if salinity standard is not available use rodi water and check the salinity)

OP
OP
burton14e7

burton14e7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If their probe requires calibration every 5 days it's being pulled and tossed, I already turned off the alerts. It's now down in the 28s according to the probe, but my Milwaukee is calibrated with 0.00 and 1.025 solution and it's still pulling 1.025 from the aquarium. My aquarium is only a 75 gallon and the skimmer is definitely not pulling gallons. I am kind of bummed to get this expensive new toy and have it not working within a week but I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something completely wrong.

OP
OP
burton14e7

burton14e7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you can see where I set it up and calibrated it and it was stable until yesterday, and then the last 24 hours it continues to drop.

sal all.jpg

sal today.jpg

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make sure there are no air bubbles trapped in the probe. It may help to re calibrate as well. I had issues at first too but has been rock solid for a year now.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could microbubbles be interfering with the probe. Dip the probe fully underwater and do a slight angle with the end up to see if any bubbles escape the probe? Just a guess.

rlman41299

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my salinity probe it drove me crazy for it keeps changing the reading after every few days and I have ATO so salinity does not fluctuate so bad. So I thought that my probe or the module itself was faulty but what was causing my fluctuations was the probe cable is sensitive to interference by my other electrical cables. It will be such a hassle for me to reroute the salinity cable so I just pulled it out and not used it again.

OP
OP
burton14e7

burton14e7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my salinity probe it drove me crazy for it keeps changing the reading after every few days and I have ATO so salinity does not fluctuate so bad. So I thought that my probe or the module itself was faulty but what was causing my fluctuations was the probe cable is sensitive to interference by my other electrical cables. It will be such a hassle for me to reroute the salinity cable so I just pulled it out and not used it again.

I saw that in the calibration and setup guide by Apex so I routed the cable around the front in between the doors and the stand instead of through the back with all my other cables. I thought it was working since the readings were stable for a few days. I think I'm going to go your route and just pull the thing out. It doesn't seem to be worth the hassle since I have an ATO and alerts set up if it fills up too much or doesn't turn on at all.

FFFishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very likely that electrical interference is causing your inaccurate salinity readings. One method to check for electrical interference is to put the probe in a cup of tank water, away from your tank / sump. If the salinity reading appears to be accurate, you've found the problem.

OP
OP
burton14e7

burton14e7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very likely that electrical interference is causing your inaccurate salinity readings. One method to check for electrical interference is to put the probe in a cup of tank water, away from your tank / sump. If the salinity reading appears to be accurate, you've found the problem.

Do you think just like 3-4 feet away? I don't think I can do anything more different than I am now to prohibit interference but it would be interesting to see if that's the cause. Personally what I'm more interested in is temp and PH but I was pumped to get a new toy and then bummed when everything wasn't working as intended. #firstworldproblems right? haha

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think just like 3-4 feet away? I don't think I can do anything more different than I am now to prohibit interference but it would be interesting to see if that's the cause. Personally what I'm more interested in is temp and PH but I was pumped to get a new toy and then bummed when everything wasn't working as intended. #firstworldproblems right? haha
as long as the power is not running with the power and if you need to cross power cross at a 90 degree, at least that works for data cables like cat5. my water tests perfect at 1.026 or 35 all the time and i have a ATO and auto water change via DOS so it changes 5 gallons a day. i am going to take the probe out and put it back to see if bubbles and i will check power around other cables. i am still very pleased with the APEX and have faith i will work the kinks out. Last time i had a tank many years ago the only automation was dial timers so it is really great to have as much as we do.

just my two cents. i will check the bubbles tonight

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a quick update, i walked in to the sump, tapped on the probe rack and a bunch of bubbles flew out....might be something to it but i will monitor

FFFishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The interference might be in tank or sump. In my case, I have a DC-powered Return Pump. Whenever it's running, the Salinity reading is not accurate. Turn-off that pump, and I get a stable and accurate Salinity reading within a minute.

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubbles in the probe. Give it a good shake keeping it under water when you do so. Nothing violent, just shake it back and forth to dislodge any bubbles trapped in there. Then make sure there are no sources of bubbles in the area that the probe is placed.
If that doesn't get it to pop right back up there's something else going on.

Usually interference is a sudden drop when something comes on. Like T5's, the ballasts can cause a good bit of noise, especially lower quality ones. DC motors are another source. Again it's a sudden drop, not a slow prolonged decrease. That is a sign of bubbles in the probe.

A sudden increase would be from the probe clearing itself or a piece of equipment that's interfering with it turning off.

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed a new 2016 model at the beginning of the month. The probes went online on the 6th.

Here's the begin graph and then the last day or two after 7 days. In the first one the jumps up are after me giving it a shake. Then after a week it stabilized. I keep my salinity at 1.025 or 33.3ppt.
e2abaca30e63ee28572e330362b423f6.jpg
ea04cc3281719e6369de416d5f6bd2eb.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back