5 fish way too much for a 15g?

ocag07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am currently cycling a 15g cube and am thinking about what I'd like to stock the tank with in the future. Its hard choosing as you can only keep so many.

Heres what I was thinking :
Firefish
Royal gramma
Blenny/goby of some sort
And either a single or pair of clowns

I'd ideally go with just the one clown but I've heard they are much better in pairs so it's hard making a decision. I realise I would be pushing it at this many fish so I'd like to get the opinion of more experienced hobbyists wheather this will likely be ok or way too many fish.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am currently cycling a 15g cube and am thinking about what I'd like to stock the tank with in the future. Its hard choosing as you can only keep so many.

Heres what I was thinking :
Firefish
Royal gramma
Blenny/goby of some sort
And either a single or pair of clowns

I'd ideally go with just the one clown but I've heard they are much better in pairs so it's hard making a decision. I realise I would be pushing it at this many fish so I'd like to get the opinion of more experienced hobbyists wheather this will likely be ok or way too many fish.

Ah, the Emerald Isle. Where abouts?

Anyway you will get a lot of different opinions on that list so won't go there. However one thing to keep in mind is that the display is roughly 15 gallons empty. Add in rock, substrate, corals, and it is less. Then depending on what support equipment you keep in there like a power head or heater it is less again. Then we must factor in coral growth and type over the years and we have even less space! You see the pattern? Plan the display for long term and not short. Upgrades of course play a roll but whatever the size is - plan for long term as our animals, when healthy, can live a long, long, time.

A display that size would be cool with smaller fish like Links or Starry Gobies. They wouldn't get lost in a display that size even as the tank matures. There are a few other gobies that would be great. Links on the bottom sifting sand, upside down or starry on the rocks, etc.

Hope your day is well.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 is going to be too much unless they are all low waste fish like gobies.
Clowns are just pigs, and get very aggressive. Based on my own experience, the blenny is the only fish that has a shot with the clowns long term in a 15 gallon.

OP
OP
O

ocag07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, the Emerald Isle. Where abouts?

Anyway you will get a lot of different opinions on that list so won't go there. However one thing to keep in mind is that the display is roughly 15 gallons empty. Add in rock, substrate, corals, and it is less. Then depending on what support equipment you keep in there like a power head or heater it is less again. Then we must factor in coral growth and type over the years and we have even less space! You see the pattern? Plan the display for long term and not short. Upgrades of course play a roll but whatever the size is - plan for long term as our animals, when healthy, can live a long, long, time.

A display that size would be cool with smaller fish like Links or Starry Gobies. They wouldn't get lost in a display that size even as the tank matures. There are a few other gobies that would be great. Links on the bottom sifting sand, upside down or starry on the rocks, etc.

Hope your day is well.
I'm on the east coast in Co.Louth!

Completely forgot to factor in the fact that it isn't actually 15g when full, my bad!

Thanks for the valuable advice. I think a more realistic choice for stocking would be the Royal gramma, firefish and a small goby/blenny? Do you reckon it's best to add the firefish first seeing as they're quite timid?

OP
OP
O

ocag07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 is going to be too much unless they are all low waste fish like gobies.
Clowns are just pigs, and get very aggressive. Based on my own experience, the blenny is the only fish that has a shot with the clowns long term in a 15 gallon.
I actually had a clown in my last tank and he got pretty aggressive. Couldn't put my hand anywhere near the tank without getting brutally attacked by him!

I think maybe just the 3 excluding the clowns could work if I space out adding them in?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add them very slowly and see how they get along. You might get lucky and each fish chooses his own corner, or might get an aggressive fish that wants the whole tank to himself. Its a small space so you would have to be very lucky.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had a clown in my last tank and he got pretty aggressive. Couldn't put my hand anywhere near the tank without getting brutally attacked by him!

I think maybe just the 3 excluding the clowns could work if I space out adding them in?
The rest of the fish you mentioned would all be a good fit together. Just have plenty of rock space as all are primarily cave dwellers (might be better to go with a fish for each area of the tank).

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on the east coast in Co.Louth!

Nice. I have not made it up that far North in my travels there. Good to see a fellow hobbyist there.

Completely forgot to factor in the fact that it isn't actually 15g when full, my bad!

No fault or bad. It is often over looked. I only mentioned it because it can take up space. Not immediate but over time as the display matures.

Thanks for the valuable advice. I think a more realistic choice for stocking would be the Royal gramma, firefish and a small goby/blenny? Do you reckon it's best to add the firefish first seeing as they're quite timid?

You are welcome. It has been a very long time since I've had a small display so am not really a good person to answer. I have owned Royal Gramma's before but in my 100 gallon display and it was a while ago. I'm trying to remember its habits but drawing a blank. Sorry.

If you do go the route of a firefish, which is pretty, I would add it first. You are right in that they can be somewhat timid at the start. Smaller gobies like the upside down or starry or links won't care one way or another nor are they aggressive. Aquascape would be important though as they like nooks, crannies, and cave like structures.

The challenge you are facing is the tanks usable real estate the fish can use for swimming, sleeping, and hanging out.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back