5 gallon Clam/sps tank. New build.

Aeiyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few clams, 3 small maxima and a small crocea. Recently the smallest maxima (1.5") has shown signs of malnourishment and is on the mend since I took all clams and put them in a nem box just under the lights, 400+PAR.

The current tank is Softie and lps, and I don't wanna bleach those out keeping the clams. While I admit my mistake in trying to keep a mixed reef with clams and lps, it's time to do something about it.

Enter the Evo 5 gallon kit. I will be setting this tank up for the clams and a snail crew. No crabs. The stock pump is 83gph. Not amazing but I think find for clams with an rfg nozzle.

I'm going to be purchasing an AI Prime with deflectors to shape the light into more of a band as the tank is narrow, and since the tank is maybe 9 or 10 inches tall this should provide more than enough for them. But it got me wondering about some beginner friendly sps.

Would it be possible to keep something like pavona cactus in this as well with the clams? What about a digital, birdsnest, or stylo? I have never kept sps before and never thought I would to be honest. But setting up a clam lighting tank got the gears turning a little. I assume I would need to up the flow a bit. If anyone is aware of a pump that'll fit this small aio and kick up the gph a bit I'd be happy to hear of it. All feedback is appreciated, in both regards to equipment suggestions and animal education.

P.s., for those that may be concerned about the long term keeping of clams in this tank size, I will be dosing nanocode A and B for elements and alk, as I do with my other tank. In the next year I will also be moving to a much larger lagoon tank and will create a heavily lit spot for the clams and everything will join that tank.

Diastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds cool. I don't know much about clams but this sounds like an interesting tank and I would like to follow along. Not really any coral experience either so I hope someone chimes in to see what you can add to this tank.

OP
OP
A

Aeiyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds cool. I don't know much about clams but this sounds like an interesting tank and I would like to follow along. Not really any coral experience either so I hope someone chimes in to see what you can add to this tank.
Me too. It's 100% for the clams, but knowing it's going to be high PAR, it's got me thinking about cheesing some low end sps into it. Nothing fancy like acro but just a little razzle dazzle if I can get away with it. The plan is no fish, just clams. I MIGHT move my blood shrimp over to scavenge and have a reason to feed so the clams have nitrates in the water. But other than that I'm sticking low to the ground.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting tank, following. I have birdnest and a monti cap growing at much lower par. Check the high end par for these. Tidal Gardens has in depth of care , par, flow, feeding etc., for just about every coral.

OP
OP
A

Aeiyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting tank, following. I have birdnest and a monti cap growing at much lower par. Check the high end par for these. Tidal Gardens has in depth of care , par, flow, feeding etc., for just about every coral.
Noted, I did just that and gave things a quick peak on tidal gardens. Some of the sps I'm interested in seems like like things around 150 to 200 PAR. That being said I'm sure given a decent acclimation time they could adjust to 300+. The lowest seems to be pavona, which they recommend around 100.

I've seen some 3d printed blinders made for AI primes that allow you to shape the light, so I'm going to mess with those when this all gets delivered to see what kind of light zones I can create. My biggest concern is the stock 83gph pump. AI has their new axis pumps. And the smallest model comes in at 2.1" diameter. I THINK it will fit, but at 100 bucks I'm hesitant to drop the cash just to find out.

Diastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too. It's 100% for the clams, but knowing it's going to be high PAR, it's got me thinking about cheesing some low end sps into it. Nothing fancy like acro but just a little razzle dazzle if I can get away with it. The plan is no fish, just clams. I MIGHT move my blood shrimp over to scavenge and have a reason to feed so the clams have nitrates in the water. But other than that I'm sticking low to the ground.
I wonder if you could do macroalgae in that light. I feel like it would love it. Also loves high nitrate water.

OP
OP
A

Aeiyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if you could do macroalgae in that light. I feel like it would love it. Also loves high nitrate water.
That thought had occurred to me me as well. I may have to add a single fish, maybe clown goby if I go that route (but without sps) just to have something to feed and put nitrates into the system. Otherwise I think I'd need to consider dosing nitrates for the clams as well as the macros. So many ideas, and I'm open to all of them as long as the clams remain the focus.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 81 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back