How much light for a clam...?

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know different clams (Maxima, Crocea, Derasa) have different light requirements...

I have a softy/LPS that requires low to moderate light.

If I wanted to get a Maxima (or Crocea) clam what is the simplest way to get it enough light on the sand bed?

Tank is 26" tall.

I thought about just adding a Kessil light - 160, 360...? - and just spotlighting the clam?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know different clams (Maxima, Crocea, Derasa) have different light requirements...

I have a softy/LPS that requires low to moderate light.

If I wanted to get a Maxima (or Crocea) clam what is the simplest way to get it enough light on the sand bed?

Tank is 26" tall.

I thought about just adding a Kessil light - 160, 360...? - and just spotlighting the clam?
This crocea in the middle does good for years in the same light that my hammers get which is 100-150 ish.

I try where possible, to “vault” them as well.

These clams not so light demanding like Dersa and Noae.

The issue with putting on the bottom is they will drop the bysal thread and hold fast to the glass over time.

So if on the bottom, still put it on a piece of substrate so you can move them.

IMG_1494.jpeg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only way to get more light on the bottom is to crank em up. Maximas can be placed up in rocks which will get them closer so more par. I'm not sure about crocea. I keep a derasa and 2 maximas all under 300 par. I have heard of people keeping them under less.
I could not keep clams alive untill getting a par meter. My lights were no where near as bright as I thought they were.
PXL_20240326_220416135.jpg

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clams are individuals and each will require different light levels, but there are some starting baselines with intensity for each species. The one thing that everyone should remember, especially new reefers starting with clams, all of these clams come from shallow waters or if they are found slightly deeper, they're in pristine, clear water, so the light intensity is very strong. At depths where gigas, squamosa and derasa are found they're getting 400+ micro moles. The spectrum matters as well, a full spectrum and not blue heavy is preferred. For derasa, squamosa & gigas I would start in the low 200's (this can fluctuate in both directions), maxima/noae around the low 300's (give or take a little), hippopus around 300 (hippopus are found in very shallow waters like crocea) and crocea low 300's. These are starting points and the more you keep clams, the more you'll notice that these numbers are not fixed and are based on the individual clam. I've had a derasa that wanted more light than my croceas, so it's something that you'll have to pay attention to. I will say this, because one person keeps a clam at a certain intensity doesn't mean that you can keep that same species at that level. Maintain proper water quality and observe the clam's growth. As long as you're feeding your fish (throughout the day) your clams are receiving nitrogen/phosphorus, so light is the main requirement and should be the focus for their longterm health.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back