5 gallon stocking ideas

smhray

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I’m planning on getting a 5 gallon tank setup and am just wondering how I should stock it. I’m looking for ideas for fish, CUC, and corals. Would I be able to put torches?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe torch frags? But don't torch corals get rather large? I'd be worried about keeping calcium and alkalinity and basically stability of any sort stable within that small of a water volume. If it was hooked up to, say, a 10-15+ gallon sump, then I'd say it'd be doable, but if it was just a 5 gallon stand alone...I'd be iffy. Soft corals would be best. This is assuming you're not planning on doing weekly tear downs and reassembles.

Fish: Trimma gobies, Eviota blennies, and basically any small fish that stays under 1". Or, go invert, and keep sexy shrimp.

CUC: Maybe a few cerith snails?

Corals: I'd really only do mushrooms and easy softies like GSP/Xenia. Unless you're highly comfortable with all the dodads and nuts and bolts and have a couple of years under your belt.

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe torch frags? But don't torch corals get rather large? I'd be worried about keeping calcium and alkalinity and basically stability of any sort stable within that small of a water volume. If it was hooked up to, say, a 10-15+ gallon sump, then I'd say it'd be doable, but if it was just a 5 gallon stand alone...I'd be iffy. Soft corals would be best. This is assuming you're not planning on doing weekly tear downs and reassembles.

Fish: Trimma gobies, Eviota blennies, and basically any small fish that stays under 1". Or, go invert, and keep sexy shrimp.

CUC: Maybe a few cerith snails?

Corals: I'd really only do mushrooms and easy softies like GSP/Xenia. Unless you're highly comfortable with all the dodads and nuts and bolts and have a couple of years under your belt.

+1 on the good advice!

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 5-gallon fish tank, you can consider the list below:
Fish: Betta Fish, Dwarf Rasbora, Dwarf Frog, Endler's Livebearer, Nerite Snails, Shrimp such as Cherry Shrimp, and Ghost Shrimp.
CUC: Corydoras, Platies or some snails
Coral: I have no idea about this
There's also CPDs and mystery snails^^ But those are freshwater things, not for a saltwater tank.

I would not keep most corydoras or platys in a 5 gallon tank. Maybe the dwarf corydoras if they were the only fish in the tank. But definitely not platys, they get too big. They certainly don't deserve the title of "clean up crew", as they can't just subsist off of what the other fish are fed and will actively compete with the other fish for food.

Back