5 new acans. Are these locations okay??

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, i have an odd tank thats almost 5 ft deep. Horzonal real estate is tight, so ive been trying to grow corals on the vertical pillar instead.

Wednesday morning i bought a 5 acan mystery pack on impulse (whoops) and now have zero idea where to place these buggers. You will see i have one thats been in the tank 3 weeks and is very happy, so i tried to kinda sorta emulate those conditions with these 5. Again, no idea why i decided to get 5 more!

My big question.... Can Acans grow upside down?! Haha....

please forgive the terrible mounting job... doing this on a ladder with a claw isnt a good time!! Haah

20200124_175758.jpg

20200124_175823.jpg

20200124_175647.jpg

20200124_175846.jpg

20200124_175718.jpg

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience with acans, they will grow almost anywhere. They don't require much light to thrive. I put mine in the corner of my tank where they receive indirect light. I think you should be fine.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that tank is insane how do you clean it? Honestly surprised it even holds together the pressure at the bottom must be 2-3x that of typical tanks

OP
OP
Passedyouby

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience with acans, they will grow almost anywhere. They don't require much light to thrive. I put mine in the corner of my tank where they receive indirect light. I think you should be fine.
Thanks for the tip. My fear is the ones "upside down" will try and twist atound to grow towards the light. Any experiences there?

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip. My fear is the ones "upside down" will try and twist atound to grow towards the light. Any experiences there?

I have to admit I've never glued my acans upside down. o_O But new heads form in a circular pattern around the mother head. They don't seem to grow towards the light. I think it will be fine but am looking forward to you letting us know. I am curious.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure hope you use sinking pellets!

OP
OP
Passedyouby

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that tank is insane how do you clean it? Honestly surprised it even holds together the pressure at the bottom must be 2-3x that of typical tanks

Haha! Yes! The pressure absolutely had me a little worried! Plus i pretty much hang on the sides of it at times trying to mount corals near the bottom using one of those claws for picking stuff up off the ground. not very gentle to this thing.

Honestly its been running 13 months and im at the point where it really isnt ever cleaned. Had the typical hair and diatom outbreaks since im a new reefer, but now that its dialed in all i have is a diamond goby to keep the sand turned over. 2 turbos and 3 boring snails!

Had to become a hardware junky to make it self sustainable though. 2 MP40s 2 MP10s a Klir automatic filter sock, a kinda sorta automated water change system, etc. Maybe an hour a week maintenance. Stays clean!

OP
OP
Passedyouby

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a thread with the story of this tank? That thing is mind boggling..

What made you go with such a unique design?

Thanks dopey!
Honestly i needed an end table and some artwork next to a chair in my family room. Thought a very tall tank would be a cool substitute... LOL...

I also have a wierd trait where if i dont understand something i will jump in with two feet and go waaayyy too far in an effort to immerse myself. This was a prime example. While it really is an awesome tank and shocks me how easy the maintenance has finaly become, it 100% was NOT the right tank for my FIRST ever tank...

I didnt use this forum much prior, so the build thread didnt start until after the day i filled it with water, but i did make one.. please forgive my terrible original design and my embarrassing lack of understanding! I made every mistake a novice could make off the bat including a massive plumbing failure leading to the loss of all my livestock on the 3rd month or so..

No judgement :) still learning!

OP
OP
Passedyouby

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure hope you use sinking pellets!

Honestly i dont need to target feed corals this way! Simply feeding the top shelf means the excess falls do the bottom dwellers! Kinda great

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts ,, and I am not a acan expert ,, but corals need a certain amount of Par, all coral are different ,, find out what that Par number needs to be for acans ,, then put your hands on a Par meter ,,, with a "" very long "" extension arm on it :) or you can just mount them where you want and take your chances ,,

OP
OP
Passedyouby

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the acans are happy in this ridiculous tank in case anyone was wondering! Waiting to rent a PAR meter atm

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back