50 gallon "1-year " build

Kruse47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. about a year ago I posted about working on my 150 gallon at a store that I own. Well COVID hit and we shut the store down and I haven't been back full time since. The tank is still up and running, just doing the basic things to keep things alive. So I decided to setup a small tank that I had in storage. The plan is to have a reef tank at home and the store tank become a fish only system. I am currently waiting to order a skimmer, heater, return pump, and hose and fittings. My stock list for fish is going to be simple with a pair of Clowns, Lawnmower Blenny, Sixline Wrasse, and a Royal Gramma Basslet. It's going to be a mixed reef but heavier on the LPS side.
This is what I have so far:
IMG_2553.jpg

Im working on a solution for the lights, I do plan on upgrading soon, but having the wood support them has already caused some problems. The stand has been reinforced, it's nothing pretty but it's functional.

IMG_2554.jpg

As you see there is a lot of dust, I will be cleaning everything off. The sump has been scrubbed once I plan on doing one more good cleaning. My thoughts on the sump are to have my skimmer in the first chamber, a refugium in the second, and return and heater in the third. ATO is to the right, ill be using an Aqualifter pump and a float valve. The LED above the middle chamber is a grow light, we will see how well it works.
IMG_2552.jpg

Rock work is pretty simple, I have tree "showcase" rocks at the front for some Zoas. Ill have two powerheads at the back in each corner, I may add a third in the middle. The only downfall to this system is the HOB overflow, I would have preferred to drill the tank but since this is only going to be a "year" tank I figured I could put up with it, and it was free.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you are enjoying it, it's worth it.

OP
OP
Kruse47

Kruse47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much happing on the reef yet. I do have a shopping list ready to go and made so decisions of what equipment I'm getting. First I'm going with the Aquatic Life 36" T5 fixture with a Kessil A360X in the middle. I have had great success in the past with a T5 Kessil combo. I will also be upgrading my Apex to the current model with the ORP, PH, and Salinity senors. I'm hoping by next week I can get an order placed.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great so far! I used to be a firefighter back many years ago! LOVED IT! Thanks for your service.

OP
OP
Kruse47

Kruse47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this weekend I slapped somthing together for a QT tank. The top is drilled on the bottom and the bottom will be the sump. I have never really had a separate system like this, so it will be an experience. My hope is since it's right next to the main tank will be able to hook the ATO up, as well as some controllers. This will probably double as a frag tank at some point too. If anyone has any pointers with QT setups I would love to hear them.
I also have a shipment of stuff coming on Wednesday.
IMG_2588.jpg

OP
OP
Kruse47

Kruse47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First water change today, Tank is looking really good. I put Dr. Tim's one and only in last Saturday, and I'm hoping to go to my LFS and get a pair of clowns. I added a mushroom to the QT tank from my 150 the another day and it's looking pretty good, no signs of ill health.
DJI_20210217_111651_330.JPG
DJI_20210217_111758_054.JPG
DJI_20210217_111828_594.JPG

OP
OP
Kruse47

Kruse47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3CB3D737-1164-4A97-B3ED-3D6E15C6FB8F.jpg
Added a pair of clowns on Friday. They are doing remarked well, already trained to come to the surface for feeding. I also picked a couple of Zoa frags up. I have been thinking of getting a HOB skimmer for the frag/QT tank, does anyone have any experience with using a skimmer on a small system? Is it worth the investment?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back