50 Gallon Mixed Spaceballs The Reef Tank

MichaelScotch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is the latest on my reef tank build...
Started around August 2019 with my wife's old 50 gallon freshwater, Forza FZ5 canister filter, Fluval sea 25000k light, and Eshopps PSK-75H skimmer, with a fluval heater, and a powerhead (I can't remember the name but does the job)
Today I am still running the same setup and after a few rocks moves and fish in and (literally out) of my aquarium I have finally settled on an acceptable rock layout and glued a few of my frags down and committed. I also removed the cover on top to let more light in (not sure if good or bad but I felt good)

First picture is of the initial setup a couple weeks in...
Second is about 2 months in...
Third is in January when I was treating for algae... (but I have learned to control it for the least part)
Last picture was taken yesterday...

I have 3 Damsels, 1 Chromis, 2 Snails and 1 Halloween hermit.
Corals are 1 Encrusting coral, 1 Birdsnest, 2 Trumpets, 1 Flowerpot.

I was on a regular feeding schedule with my fish: once daily of frozen shrimp. I was disappointed last month to realize that my corals just weren't growing... at the time I just had the encrusting and the birdsnest so I did some research and noted that people were using "reef roids." After an amazon purchase and about a month of feeding every other day to every three days I can report that they are responding amazingly and seem happier than ever and are even growing. I even had the pleasure of feeding one of my trumpet corals a large piece of brine shrimp and watched it devour it. But, I think that since I start using the roids I have reached a turning point in my reef keeping and and starting to get the hang of it... as well as the itch for more and bigger.

I change my water with the red RPM reef pro mix on my water changes every Sunday about 30%( Just switched from instant ocean salt crystals last month too), I use a prime water conditioner and I add some fluval seal 3 ions to the mix as well, get my sg to 1.023 in my mixing tub which is about 20 gallons and dump it into my aquarium which is typically around 1.025... those are really the only things I do regularly.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to improve my setup in a small baby step manner? I am playing with the idea of getting a RODI unit but I am not sure what size to get or even type since the next tank I will be getting is my wife's 125.

TLDR; Getting addicted... be gentle.

IMG_20190831_074547.jpg 00000IMG_00000_BURST20191023184329719_COVER.jpg IMG_20200105_115340_MP.jpg MVIMG_20200623_125558.jpg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We really need a full set of your water parameters (nitrate/phosphate/alkalinity/calcium/magnesium) to see if we can help, and also I would invest in a RODI system and produce your own 0 TDS water. This is one of the basics for a reef tank.

Stability is the key and 30% water changes are fairly large unless there is a reason.

The last picture looks ok though.

OP
OP
MichaelScotch

MichaelScotch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We really need a full set of your water parameters (nitrate/phosphate/alkalinity/calcium/magnesium) to see if we can help, and also I would invest in a RODI system and produce your own 0 TDS water. This is one of the basics for a reef tank.

Stability is the key and 30% water changes are fairly large unless there is a reason.

The last picture looks ok though.
I have testing for calcium, and nitrates I honestly don't know what products to rely on for testing so its a hodge podge at this point...

Do you have recommendations for easiest testing? Because I figured since I was changing such a large amount at a time it would negate any testing that I was doing since it was weekly... but understand you cannot make recommendations without parameters and making changes.

So, a better testing schedule is what I would need to focus on on at the moment?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back