OP
OP
bellsphaselacey

bellsphaselacey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I lived in CA and was planning a large build, I looked into having water delivered. The guy would take his boat several miles off the coast pump it onto the boat through a pre filter then onto his truck to deliver it and pump it right into the tank. When factoring the cost of salt and time for the rodi, it became more worthwhile. I don’t know if it’s still as good of a deal but might be worth it for the first fill up.
At the Scripps institute of oceanography you can actually fill up with ocean water free!.
I have a 600 gallon in bed water container I’m planning on using to fill her up when the time comes :)

MyFirstCar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thank you for the info!, my plan is to use Scripps water so I feel that will give the kelp the best fighting chance and I’m about a 3 minute drive from beach so hopefully the trip won’t be to harsh on it haha.

In regards to the kelp stripping tanks of their nutrients, I’m not sure it would necessarily be a bad thing for the species I plan to keep however really good to keep in mind.
do you know what happens once nutrients are depleted?, does the kelp die off?
Depends on the situation, low nutrients can starve it, but too long without nutrients will cause it to turn white and die. In terms of transplanting, wherever possible try to keep the holdfast and whatever its attached to.

Also, and it's too late for this year but depending on your timeline, try to harvest in dead of winter whereever possible. If you harvest now, you might along a bunch of kelp eating organisms (small crabs, bryzoans, etc.) And your kelp will be eaten pretty quickly.

OP
OP
bellsphaselacey

bellsphaselacey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately nothing worthwhile posting for now.
had a big issue with stand builder taking my deposit and ghosting me so I’m trying to work that out… however new stand from different builder is in the works as of last Wednesday and should be ready for delivery 3 weeks from today!

All equipment is lined up for the tank though and the only thing in question is where to find 500 lbs of sand for a decent price lol

OP
OP
bellsphaselacey

bellsphaselacey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1778.png
Tank has landed!, got it in the house and leveled off.. next few weeks of free time Will be working on a nsa aqua scape!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 39.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back