Red Sea Reef Mat 500 or 1200 for Waterbox 130.4?

K9Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for advice from anyone that has modified their Waterbox 130.4 sump cutting out the filter sock section and installing a Reef Mat. I plan on doing this over the weekend and I am debating on installing the Reef Mat 500 or 1200. Anyone out there with a 1200 installed?

wheelz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank size is probably right over the recommended max size for the 500. I’d say you may be able to get away with the cheaper 500 if your flow is less than 1,500 gallons per hour. If that’s the case you may find yourself switching out rollers more often then if you just go with the 1200.

OP
OP
K

K9Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank size is probably right over the recommended max size for the 500. I’d say you may be able to get away with the cheaper 500 if your flow is less than 1,500 gallons per hour. If that’s the case you may find yourself switching out rollers more often then if you just go with the 1200.
Thanks. I’d like to go with 1200 really only debating the size of the unit after the required sump mod. Hoping someone has done it and has some advice. Obviously still need room for skimmer, etc.

wheelz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’d like to go with 1200 really only debating the size of the unit after the required sump mod. Hoping someone has done it and has some advice. Obviously still need room for skimmer, etc.
I do have a 500 in a synergy reef sump but it is not the most efficient set up as I have it in the main compartment right next to the skimmer. Hopefully someone else can show the 1200 for you!

OP
OP
K

K9Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because of physical size i went ahead with the ReefMat 500. Modifying the Waterbox sump was easy with the RedSea sump modification kit (it’s a must) and worth the $15.

The RedSea 500 is a game changer for me. After a few days of running my water is MUCH cleaner vs filter socks. Also, my daily average is approx 21” a day of the filter roll material. At this rate a roll will last me 6-7 weeks. Very satisfied great product. I do have my skimmer in same section with a carbon/GFO reactor and the ReefMat with no issues,

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back