View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello Reefer ,
I've been working on my tank now for the past 6 months .. 500 gallon system

500 gallon ( main tank)
skimmer tank
heater tank with pex coil in it ( 65 gallon tank )
rerurn pump tank ( 75 gallon with 3200 gph )

I tapped into the home hot water system .. using pex tubing ,taco circulating pump and regular heater controller ..right now system is runnin ok at 75degrees ... andi think I'm going to save a lot on electricity bill ..

my current tank is 265 gallon with 1200 watts just for the heater alone .. and these tanks are located in my garage 50 percent insulated .. and its too cold here .. ill post some picture of everything to show you guys .. this is my first thread here ..

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, your home water heater eats up about 30% of your monthly bill, and if you put extra demand on it your bill will go higher. If you were to try to heat I would try solar.

OP
OP
organic corals

organic corals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look forward to pics. How did you tap into your hot water tank?

I run copper pipes from my home heater , 2 pipes actually 1 going to my 65 gallon tank , where it is connected to pex coil about 100' .. with taco circulating pump .. the 2nd pipe is a return back to the home water heater .. this week end ill take some good picture and ill post it in here by Monday ..

OP
OP
organic corals

organic corals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, your home water heater eats up about 30% of your monthly bill, and if you put extra demand on it your bill will go higher. If you were to try to heat I would try solar.

I'm using gas heater .. I'm thinking to do solar but the location of my house is not getting a good sunlight due to bunch of trees .. I had a solar company already look at my place ..

OP
OP
organic corals

organic corals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello Reefer ,
I've been working on my tank now for the past 6 months .. 500 gallon system

500 gallon ( main tank)
skimmer tank
heater tank with pex coil in it ( 65 gallon tank )
rerurn pump tank ( 75 gallon with 3200 gph )

I tapped into the home hot water system .. using pex tubing ,taco circulating pump and regular heater controller ..right now system is runnin ok at 75degrees ... andi think I'm going to save a lot on electricity bill ..

my current tank is 265 gallon with 1200 watts just for the heater alone .. and these tanks are located in my garage 50 percent insulated .. and its too cold here .. ill post some picture of everything to show you guys .. this is my first thread here ..

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_4162.JPG

IMG_4163.JPG

IMG_4164.JPG

IMG_4166.JPG

IMG_4168.JPG

taco.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back