500G barn find.... Here goes!

SueAbu

Forever Newb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my "go big or go home" hubby into the hobby... He's so cute now that he's researching things like live rock and water parameters. (Things I've known for years. But I just smile at each new thing he "discovers")

So he decided to look at craigslist for what may be in our area (Maine) for sale. He didn't figure there would be much, because Maine is known for lobsters, not reefs. Surprise, honey!!!

In the next 2 weeks. We are getting a 220G fish/LPs/SPS mixed tank with a Rose BTA that prolifically multiplied. We are getting a 95G FOWLR setup. We are getting a 55G mixed LPS and fish setup.

Why??

Because my King Of Craigslist found THIS only 3 towns over... Waiting for us in a barn:
received_313015345180438.jpeg

500G acrylic, drilled for sump, with a 2x6 framed cabinet base, a single 40G sump (needs another) and about 8 totes of equipment, lighting and supplies. Those other setups will provide us the livestock, rock and corals to populate this big boy!

Good thing the dining room was already empty!

For the record, I was going to be perfectly happy with the 220 and my existing 95... Holding on to the 500G until we could build it into the new house we are designing. But not hubby... Bless him. That's why I love him. He gets me.

OP
OP
SueAbu

SueAbu

Forever Newb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was so excited that
1) hubby is finally getting into it.
2) all of his finds are coming together
3) that barn find was so awesome and inexpensive (and the guy super cool- and VERY happy it's going to someone who'll have a clue)
And
4) so busy wondering how to reinforce the floor...

That I completely forgot to think about fish comparability, how they'll need to quarantine, how to de-pest the rock (one guy was actually offended that I'd ask if he has aiptasia, bad nudibranchs or spiders... Which I'm sure he did cuz one picture has a super healthy 6 line wrasse.... Then he told me broke his UV light he used for dinos)

I'm starting to think I'm in big trouble...

OP
OP
SueAbu

SueAbu

Forever Newb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just told Hubby that we have "followers". He said, "yeah. Because they want to watch on, in horror... Like when we post pictures of the first floor caved into the basement."

(Seriously, thank you for your interest... I'll have to find a thesaurus to find a family-friendly word for what a **** show this may actually become)

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just told Hubby that we have "followers". He said, "yeah. Because they want to watch on, in horror... Like when we post pictures of the first floor caved into the basement."

(Seriously, thank you for your interest... I'll have to find a thesaurus to find a family-friendly word for what a **** show this may actually become)
Clown show...

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun Yes GIF by Lilly Singh

My hubs is the extact same way except I haven't figured out how to direct him to reef stuff yet.

TELL ME YOUR SECRETS!

But yes, also following do I can pick up on whatever secret sauce you're using to get him into reefs.

OP
OP
SueAbu

SueAbu

Forever Newb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun Yes GIF by Lilly Singh

My hubs is the extact same way except I haven't figured out how to direct him to reef stuff yet.

TELL ME YOUR SECRETS!

But yes, also following do I can pick up on whatever secret sauce you're using to get him into reefs.
We've been married 7 years and had 2 attempts at the tank in that time. Last weekend, I was chatting with folks during the living reef Orlando sale, which he's seen me do before. But this time, he watched for a bit ... Then later, sleepily rolled over and said, "get the expensive ones if you want, we'll cover it." Mind blown.

In the days following he'd come to me saying magic words
"I
Was
Reading...." And starts telling me all these things he learned about reef tanks. So adorable.

Then he came to me with his phone. "Hear me out... (Rut roh) Look what I found." And shows me the sales listings he'd found.

I have no idea what aliens abducted my husband... As much as I loved him, I'll take it!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 68 45.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.6%
Back