5017 Osmolator blinking Too High and Too Low red lights

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the water damage indicator, unfortunately, this is a very old Osmolator so I cannot repair it as the circuitry is very different from what is made today and what I have parts for. This appears to be a unit made between 2009-2011 and besides repairability with this age often capacitors on the board are failing and that alone could be a culprit. You could try a 3 step cleaning, remove the board from the housing, first dip it in distilled water, ideally that has been warmed to about 120F, this will help it evaporate faster, then clean it with Deoxit D5, agitate the cleaner with a brush. Then spray it down with 99% isopropy alcohol. Place it in front of a fan so air flow around the board and leave it for several hours, keep in mind the speaker will hold water, so if possible cover the opening in the speaker with tape and make sure it is empty of water/fluid. Any corroded section have to be completely cleaned and retouched with fresh solder. Keep in mind that the Osmolator 3 launches in a month, so you might wait to replace it, this is a fairly old unit and it is just not practical to repair outside of trying some basic cleaning.

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the water damage indicator, unfortunately, this is a very old Osmolator so I cannot repair it as the circuitry is very different from what is made today and what I have parts for. This appears to be a unit made between 2009-2011 and besides repairability with this age often capacitors on the board are failing and that alone could be a culprit. You could try a 3 step cleaning, remove the board from the housing, first dip it in distilled water, ideally that has been warmed to about 120F, this will help it evaporate faster, then clean it with Deoxit D5, agitate the cleaner with a brush. Then spray it down with 99% isopropy alcohol. Place it in front of a fan so air flow around the board and leave it for several hours, keep in mind the speaker will hold water, so if possible cover the opening in the speaker with tape and make sure it is empty of water/fluid. Any corroded section have to be completely cleaned and retouched with fresh solder. Keep in mind that the Osmolator 3 launches in a month, so you might wait to replace it, this is a fairly old unit and it is just not practical to repair outside of trying some basic cleaning.
Thanks Roger. I couldn't remember how old it was but I could tell from other photos of controllers that might was older. I will try and clean it but most likely going to wait for the new osmolator to release. I haven't gone through the thread yet but do you know price? It's for my classroom tank which I try to keep cost down. And would I need just a new controller or whole new setup?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get the new one, everything has changed, especially the pump, so a full replacement is the only path, non of your current parts wouldbe compatible. While you can buy just the controller, it is 75% of what a full unit costs and with this age, I would change everything as other parts will be worn and likely to fail soon.

danielb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but I would generally suggest opening it and checking first, water damage that is widespread or affects the upper portion of the circuit board will not be repairable and in that case, shipping is just an additional expense. You are welcome to send a photo before sending it in, I can usually assess repairability from a clear photo.
Hi

I have the same error appearing. I'm based in Australia so is there any way you could walk me through fixing this myself?

Dan

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing to do is fine where the water damage is, 90% of the time it is under the power socket, you may be able to see this around the edges, to repair it you will need to desolder the socket, you will need a good soldering iron with a smaller tip and high enough wattage to work fast, ideally something somewhat professional like Hakko that you can set the temperature, work hot and fast to avoid any damage. A very basic soldering iron in low wattage is likely to melt the plastic of the socket and damage connections as it will heat so slowly the heat is conducted away overheating components. You will need a solder vacuum and or solder wick. Once you have the socket out, I use Deoxit D5 and 600 grit sand paper applying very light pressure to get to shiny copper and remove all corrosion and salt residue, clean this down with 99% isopropyl alcohol, once dry, retin the exposed copper traces with fresh solder. Resolder the power socket in place. Any sort of widespread damage, damage near the processor or LEDs is not likely repairable. I attach a very stereotypical example of 90+% of the cause of this issue, it is due to plugging in a wet power supply tip, the other cause that makes up most of the remaining 10% is water that came in on a sensor cable and is where the cables enter. Anything that was actually sprayed, splashed, fell in water is usually a lost cause.
IMG_5586.jpeg

chriscarper_21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing to do is fine where the water damage is, 90% of the time it is under the power socket, you may be able to see this around the edges, to repair it you will need to desolder the socket, you will need a good soldering iron with a smaller tip and high enough wattage to work fast, ideally something somewhat professional like Hakko that you can set the temperature, work hot and fast to avoid any damage. A very basic soldering iron in low wattage is likely to melt the plastic of the socket and damage connections as it will heat so slowly the heat is conducted away overheating components. You will need a solder vacuum and or solder wick. Once you have the socket out, I use Deoxit D5 and 600 grit sand paper applying very light pressure to get to shiny copper and remove all corrosion and salt residue, clean this down with 99% isopropyl alcohol, once dry, retin the exposed copper traces with fresh solder. Resolder the power socket in place. Any sort of widespread damage, damage near the processor or LEDs is not likely repairable. I attach a very stereotypical example of 90+% of the cause of this issue, it is due to plugging in a wet power supply tip, the other cause that makes up most of the remaining 10% is water that came in on a sensor cable and is where the cables enter. Anything that was actually sprayed, splashed, fell in water is usually a lost cause.
IMG_5586.jpeg
IMG_5586.jpeg
I have 2 5017s to send for repair both are doing the same thing. Can I have the address to send for repair?

chriscarper_21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_9568.jpeg
    IMG_9568.jpeg
    371.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9567.jpeg
    IMG_9567.jpeg
    394.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9566.jpeg
    IMG_9566.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9564.jpeg
    IMG_9564.jpeg
    402.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9565.jpeg
    IMG_9565.jpeg
    311.2 KB · Views: 18

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same request as others. My osmolator definitely got wet in a leak but I let it dry out and I don’t see water damage. However it is still throwing the sensor error. Pics are here

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze USA
2121 Cole Springs Rd
Buda TX 78610

Use this address to send it in for repair

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back