5017 Osmolator blinking Too High and Too Low red lights

Tim Olson

Love to Learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
@rvitko - Yesterday, my 5017 Osmolator quit working and the "Too Low" and "Too High" lights started blinking red.

From what I've read, the cause is most likely some saltwater got in the controller and messed up the circuit board. So I removed the circuit board and did notice what could be residual saltwater on the back of the board. So I did my best to clean it up with isopropyl alcohol, but it didn't work.
IMG_20200521_095233.jpg

So does it look like I have to send the controller in to get fixed, or maybe get a new circuit board?

Thanks for any help :)

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Usually the issue is this as shown, the power supply tip was plugged in after it landed in water, the water damage is under the power socket, if not, it followed a sensor wire into the controller, the other side is where I would check more closely. Minor water damage I can usually fix and nothing jumps out at me in either the video or the picture as being just totally ruined.

IMG_2150.jpeg

OP
Tim Olson

Tim Olson

Love to Learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Usually the issue is this as shown, the power supply tip was plugged in after it landed in water, the water damage is under the power socket, if not, it followed a sensor wire into the controller, the other side is where I would check more closely. Minor water damage I can usually fix and nothing jumps out at me in either the video or the picture as being just totally ruined.

IMG_2150.jpeg
Thanks for the instantaneous response!

On the power supply tip ... The controller is on the outside of my sump and I hadn't take out the power supply tip in months, so could it still be the problem you mentioned?

FYI, after it quit working, I also cleaned the sensors in citric acid for about 15 minutes. They were really encrusted with calcium deposits, so I wouldn't be surprised if the optical sensor wasn't working. But that didn't fix it either.
1590091397206.png

So should I send it to you to fix, or is there something else I should try? If so, would I just send the controller?

Thanks again!

Also, here's some pics of the top of the board, that might help.
IMG_20200521_161159.jpg

IMG_20200521_161213.jpg

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I believe I can see the water damage is under the power socket, it is barely visible on the right side of the socket.

Please send the controller for repair-

Tunze USA
305 Victor St
Austin TX 78753

Include a note with return address and phone number.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you!

OP
Tim Olson

Tim Olson

Love to Learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
As follow-up, Roger repaired the circuit board and the Controller now works perfectly.

There's a reason the Tunze Osmolator is the best selling ATO out there, and that reason is Roger.

Thanks again and all the best. :)

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Roger,
Im having the same issue with my controller where it blinks too high and too low. Is it possible to send my controller in?

How's your tank currently looking?

• Never better

Votes: 26 17.7%
  • Pretty good

Votes: 68 46.3%
  • Just OK

Votes: 35 23.8%
  • Not great

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Prett Bad

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Yuck