54 Gallon Corner Reef Tank Start Up

Rikki248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to begin my very first reef tank build and am getting myself confused with YouTube videos! I have a corner tank, making lighting (and mounting) difficult at times. I plan to have minimal fish (no more than 8) but do plan to do soft corals eventually diving into lps. I was given an Aqueon LED that came with the tank, fits perfect, but was told by 3 LFS to stay away from Aqueon lighting. Unfortunately I don’t have the budget for Kissel/AI type products, and did purchase a “black box” last week resale for $30 that I’m learning was more than likely a mistake on my part and probably just a way for the LFS to get rid of it. I am buying pieces one at a time, lighting is my next step, followed by Wave Makers. (Have brand new Fluval 407 and Eheim heater, RODI filter, cleaning/maintenance supplies, etc). Any suggestions or guidance anyone can provide on either topic would be incredibly appreciated!! ☺️

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this thread by @Brewers best

Also, in my very humble opinion, 8 fish in a 54 is the max you should add. I have a 65 and the most fish I’ve ever had was 6. I know that not all fish are the same, you can’t go by numbers-only, size of each fish is a factor, etc., but for a corner shaped 54 I might consider fewer. Again, it’s just one person’s opinion.

Upvote 0

kred47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to begin my very first reef tank build and am getting myself confused with YouTube videos! I have a corner tank, making lighting (and mounting) difficult at times. I plan to have minimal fish (no more than 8) but do plan to do soft corals eventually diving into lps. I was given an Aqueon LED that came with the tank, fits perfect, but was told by 3 LFS to stay away from Aqueon lighting. Unfortunately I don’t have the budget for Kissel/AI type products, and did purchase a “black box” last week resale for $30 that I’m learning was more than likely a mistake on my part and probably just a way for the LFS to get rid of it. I am buying pieces one at a time, lighting is my next step, followed by Wave Makers. (Have brand new Fluval 407 and Eheim heater, RODI filter, cleaning/maintenance supplies, etc). Any suggestions or guidance anyone can provide on either topic would be incredibly appreciated!! ☺️
This is just a personal opinion, but I feel a lot of people are quick to overlook the cheaper options in reefing. I only have a year and a half into the hobby but all the products I use are not name brand. Don’t get me wrong, going name brand will get you the best of the best quality and reliability, but Chinese companies like Jebao can offer a good product at a fraction of the price. So I would stick to the black box (I use one and it has been doing well on my mixed reef 40 breeder) and based on your dimensions maybe get one more. All I’m saying is don’t overlook the lower end products on Amazon some of them do an amazing job.

also it might help to post dimensions, rock/ sand details about the tank, equipment list, etc. to give people more to go off of when giving their advice. Either way congrats on the first tank and best of luck, you’re gonna have a ton of fun!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rikki248

Rikki248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this thread by @Brewers best

Also, in my very humble opinion, 8 fish in a 54 is the max you should add. I have a 65 and the most fish I’ve ever had was 6. I know that not all fish are the same, you can’t go by numbers-only, size of each fish is a factor, etc., but for

a corner shaped 54 I might consider fewer. Again, it’s just one person’s opinion.
Hi there! Thanks so much for your reply! I do definitely plan on doing about 6, just wanted to make sure I shared that I was more interested in soft corals than fish on the livestock spectrum! (2 clown, 1 royal gramma, 1 lawnmower goby, and potentially 2 smaller fish I haven’t picked out yet). I actually saw your same post with that link on another person’s thread, thank you for sharing!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rikki248

Rikki248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just a personal opinion, but I feel a lot of people are quick to overlook the cheaper options in reefing. I only have a year and a half into the hobby but all the products I use are not name brand. Don’t get me wrong, going name brand will get you the best of the best quality and reliability, but Chinese companies like Jebao can offer a good product at a fraction of the price. So I would stick to the black box (I use one and it has been doing well on my mixed reef 40 breeder) and based on your dimensions maybe get one more. All I’m saying is don’t overlook the lower end products on Amazon some of them do an amazing job.

also it might help to post dimensions, rock/ sand details about the tank, equipment list, etc. to give people more to go off of when giving their advice. Either way congrats on the first tank and best of luck, you’re gonna have a ton of fun!
Thanks so much for your reply and suggestions! I am very new to this and didn’t even think of sharing that list. Sorry about that! I personally don’t mind the “not name brand” products. My only concern with the black box is how to mount it on my corner tank, actually, as well as this “fire hazard” situation I keep hearing about. I’m glad to hear you’ve had good luck, I actually don’t mind the light at all just unsure on mounting it since I live in an apartment and cannot mount anything from the ceiling per my lease. Any thoughts on DIY? The black box I have is listed below if this helps!

TaoTronics TT-AL09 120w Dimmable LED Reef Aquarium Light

I haven’t physically started the actual tank yet, however the dimensions are 39" x 27.25" x 23" placed on a stand made to fit (came as a kit). I do have a glass top on the tank as well, which I will need to keep my Mainecoon cat from going swimming. When it comes to materials I do already have the following:

2-20lb CaribSea Fiji Pink Live Live Sand
Fluval 407 Cannister
200w Eheim Heater
Flipper Algae Scraper

Plan to do live rock, but looking into the differences between dry live rock (with a few wet live rock staggered throughout) and just all wet live rock. Corals themselves I do not plan to add for about 6-8 months minimum after I put together, cycle, and move the fish in. Thank you again your post was so helpful I truly appreciate any suggestions anyone can offer!

Upvote 0

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! Thanks so much for your reply! I do definitely plan on doing about 6, just wanted to make sure I shared that I was more interested in soft corals than fish on the livestock spectrum! (2 clown, 1 royal gramma, 1 lawnmower goby, and potentially 2 smaller fish I haven’t picked out yet). I actually saw your same post with that link on another person’s thread, thank you for sharing!
I’m on record on this forum… many times in fact… that the RG is the best fish in the hobby. Excellent choice!

Good luck with everything moving forward!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rikki248

Rikki248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on record on this forum… many times in fact… that the RG is the best fish in the hobby. Excellent choice!

Good luck with everything moving forward!
I am very much looking forward to having that beautiful fish in my tank! I am also very much looking forward to the inverts, as they are actually so cool to me. Some shrimp, one or two starfish and definitely have to have some snails. Thank you so much again, everyone is so helpful here

Upvote 0

kred47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for your reply and suggestions! I am very new to this and didn’t even think of sharing that list. Sorry about that! I personally don’t mind the “not name brand” products. My only concern with the black box is how to mount it on my corner tank, actually, as well as this “fire hazard” situation I keep hearing about. I’m glad to hear you’ve had good luck, I actually don’t mind the light at all just unsure on mounting it since I live in an apartment and cannot mount anything from the ceiling per my lease. Any thoughts on DIY? The black box I have is listed below if this helps!

TaoTronics TT-AL09 120w Dimmable LED Reef Aquarium Light

I haven’t physically started the actual tank yet, however the dimensions are 39" x 27.25" x 23" placed on a stand made to fit (came as a kit). I do have a glass top on the tank as well, which I will need to keep my Mainecoon cat from going swimming. When it comes to materials I do already have the following:

2-20lb CaribSea Fiji Pink Live Live Sand
Fluval 407 Cannister
200w Eheim Heater
Flipper Algae Scraper

Plan to do live rock, but looking into the differences between dry live rock (with a few wet live rock staggered throughout) and just all wet live rock. Corals themselves I do not plan to add for about 6-8 months minimum after I put together, cycle, and move the fish in. Thank you again your post was so helpful I truly appreciate any suggestions anyone can offer!
No worries at all! Just happy to help! So for my black box, I was in a similar situation where I could not drill into the wall/ceiling to hand the light. I instead used EMT conduit in order to create a hanging solution. If you look up diy black box hanging solutions on the forum the thread should pop up.

as far as live rock vs dry rock, I think seeding dry rock with a few pieces of live rock is more than sufficient. Especially if you have the patience to let the cycle take it’s time and for the micro biome to fully form. It seems like you do since you said no corals for 6-8 months. Everyone has different opinions, but I find full live rock to just be a tad bit excessive. To each their own though! Only thing with live rock I would just recommend to quarantine the rock for a couple weeks to see if you can identify any hitchhikers that could become potentially dangerous in the future

Edit: also dry live rock is not actually alive. The only true live rock that will help with seeding a reef is wet live rock. If the rock was allowed to dry then most of the bacteria would die.

Upvote 0

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tip for your Fluval FX6 - canister filters are loaded with way too much sponge - you’re going to want to get rid of pretty much all of it and load the filter with Ceramic Bio Balls or Rings (you can buy on amazon)

Also set up the outtake a little closer to the surface and point them up to help make more surface agitation.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rikki248

Rikki248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries at all! Just happy to help! So for my black box, I was in a similar situation where I could not drill into the wall/ceiling to hand the light. I instead used EMT conduit in order to create a hanging solution. If you look up diy black box hanging solutions on the forum the thread should pop up.

as far as live rock vs dry rock, I think seeding dry rock with a few pieces of live rock is more than sufficient. Especially if you have the patience to let the cycle take it’s time and for the micro biome to fully form. It seems like you do since you said no corals for 6-8 months. Everyone has different opinions, but I find full live rock to just be a tad bit excessive. To each their own though! Only thing with live rock I would just recommend to quarantine the rock for a couple weeks to see if you can identify any hitchhikers that could become potentially dangerous in the future

Edit: also dry live rock is not actually alive. The only true live rock that will help with seeding a reef is wet live rock. If the rock was allowed to dry then most of the bacteria would die.
This was so very helpful. I did look up the diy hanging solutions and was actually thinking of something very similar so that’s great! I decided I am definitely going to supplement the dry rock with pieces of live rock, I was quoted almost $800 for full live rock at my LFS and definitely will not be spending more than my entire tank build combined on rocks! And yes, sorry for the confusion dry rock is not alive. I misspoke earlier. Thanks again you have been so insanely helpful honestly! I got myself so confused and so turned around watching videos and reading articles and this forum has just been so great!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rikki248

Rikki248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tip for your Fluval FX6 - canister filters are loaded with way too much sponge - you’re going to want to get rid of pretty much all of it and load the filter with Ceramic Bio Balls or Rings (you can buy on amazon)

Also set up the outtake a little closer to the surface and point them up to help make more surface agitation.
Hi! Thanks for this tip - question though! Is the 407 I purchased the same as the FX6? I have zero knowledge on canister filters so any type of suggestions like these are super helpful! I did see a ton of people in videos making that same switch and using the ceramic bio balls. Some even took out the activated carbon as well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rikki248

Rikki248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to dry rock, I went with the "Marco Dry Rock". Looks good and you can get foundation, shelf, and normal rocks.
I actually looked into this as well, it’s highly recommended on BRS videos and website. I’d like to supplement with some live rock, so was thinking 40lbs dry and 15-20lbs live mixed up together. They say about 1lb per gallon tank of rock is a good base, did I understand that properly? Also obviously not cycling with fish, just rock once I do start this build!

Upvote 0

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Thanks for this tip - question though! Is the 407 I purchased the same as the FX6? I have zero knowledge on canister filters so any type of suggestions like these are super helpful! I did see a ton of people in videos making that same switch and using the ceramic bio balls. Some even took out the activated carbon as well.
Well i'm a dummy - I thought I read Fx6. The Fx6 is a big drum like canister, basically like 4x the size of the 407.

The same suggestion still applies that you should consider filling the stackable chambers with ceramic rings (bio balls are a little too big for the 407 chambers).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rikki248

Rikki248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i'm a dummy - I thought I read Fx6. The Fx6 is a big drum like canister, basically like 4x the size of the 407.

The same suggestion still applies that you should consider filling the stackable chambers with ceramic rings (bio balls are a little too big for the 407 chambers).
Oh no, no worries! I did look at the FX6 also but it was massive, I wouldn’t be able to fit anything else under my tank if I went with that beast! Thanks for confirming the same still applies with the ceramic rings. Setting the outtake closer to the surface is a great tip as well. I’m still trying to figure out what to do with these wavemakers. Currently looking at SunSun JVP-131 8w 1585gph… I was told to do two of those pointed from the corners of the tank because it’s a bow front. Thoughts on this by chance since you brought up tank flow? I don’t need crazy expensive ones, was told the SunSuns are actually pretty great so hopefully that was true!

Upvote 0

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually looked into this as well, it’s highly recommended on BRS videos and website. I’d like to supplement with some live rock, so was thinking 40lbs dry and 15-20lbs live mixed up together. They say about 1lb per gallon tank of rock is a good base, did I understand that properly? Also obviously not cycling with fish, just rock once I do start this build!
1lb-1.25lb or rock per gallon is a rule of thumb, but also need to take into consideration the overall aquascape, available swimming room and make sure you like how it looks.

You don't want it to be too cluttered as more detritus can get stuck in areas of the rockwork with low flow.

Also, you want to make sure you like the overall look. Get the pieces you and make the rockwork something you like. Don't feel like you have to force extra rock in the tank to hit a goal or target.

Upvote 0

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no, no worries! I did look at the FX6 also but it was massive, I wouldn’t be able to fit anything else under my tank if I went with that beast! Thanks for confirming the same still applies with the ceramic rings. Setting the outtake closer to the surface is a great tip as well. I’m still trying to figure out what to do with these wavemakers. Currently looking at SunSun JVP-131 8w 1585gph… I was told to do two of those pointed from the corners of the tank because it’s a bow front. Thoughts on this by chance since you brought up tank flow? I don’t need crazy expensive ones, was told the SunSuns are actually pretty great so hopefully that was true!
I haven't used the Sunsun, but yes, I would put them in the corner and point them towards the bow. You should put one a little close to the top/pointed upwards to make some surface movement, and then the other kind of in the middle so you can get a little movement towards the bottom of the sand bed.

You'll kind of have to adjust with the wavemakers as you go. You're going to find some areas with too much flow (sand getting kicked up), some areas with not enough (detritus/algae build up). Just need to see what work's best.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rikki248

Rikki248

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't used the Sunsun, but yes, I would put them in the corner and point them towards the bow. You should put one a little close to the top/pointed upwards to make some surface movement, and then the other kind of in the middle so you can get a little movement towards the bottom of the sand bed.

You'll kind of have to adjust with the wavemakers as you go. You're going to find some areas with too much flow (sand getting kicked up), some areas with not enough (detritus/algae build up). Just need to see what work's best.
Perfect thank you again so much! This is so helpful to consider when I start building.

Side note- I’m seeing a lot of people are suggesting taking a lot of the Fluval media out and replacing with ceramic rings completely. Some others are taking out ceramic rings and using the Biohome Ultimate Marine, saying the ceramic rings aren’t enough. Is this just a personal preference for some or should I actually take a look into the Biohome versus Ceramic Rings?

Upvote 0

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect thank you again so much! This is so helpful to consider when I start building.

Side note- I’m seeing a lot of people are suggesting taking a lot of the Fluval media out and replacing with ceramic rings completely. Some others are taking out ceramic rings and using the Biohome Ultimate Marine, saying the ceramic rings aren’t enough. Is this just a personal preference for some or should I actually take a look into the Biohome versus Ceramic Rings?
The Biohome media definitely is better, but a bit more pricy per pound.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back