54 gallon stocking plan

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

While my tank finishes cycling, I’m trying to put together a stocking plan. For those that haven’t seen my other threads, I’ve got a 54 gallon corner with about 55ish lbs of live rock and 50 lbs of live sand.

Tank will eventually have plenty of inverts, as well as some macro algae and soft corals in it.

Looking for fish that will be invert safe and reef safe.

So far I’m not settled on anything specific. I would really like 1 or 2 of the “Blizzard” clownfish (mostly white ones). I’d also like a purple firefish or similar Firefish.

I’m a fan of royal grammas as well as cardinalfish, but that said, neither are must haves.

I’d also like a “centerpiece” that’s a bit bigger than everyone else, maybe a dwarf angel or something like that?

I love gobies would love one brighter colored than the lawnmower goby, but still an aggressive algae eater.

Any stocking list suggestions or single fish suggestions would be fantastic! Thanks!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that dwarf angels can be a little "pushy" to more peaceful fish in tanks around that size.

A medium sized fairy wrasse species could be quite "showy."

Most gobies aren't great algea eaters. I think your mixing them up with blennies. The orange spotted blenny is a more colorful algae eater.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just me but I find firefish to be too timid for my tastes I would go with a Royal Gramma or Black Cap Basslet instead. They will also be able to hold their own against the clowns if they get really territorial.

If you want reef safe a small fairy wrasse (ie lubbock's) would be a great choice.

BGrand

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I in Indiana too. I also have a 54 corner from the Reef in Indy. My tank page is list below. Please feel free to reach out to me with questions about what I have going on.

Current stock in mine is:
Diamond Watchman Goby (Named Neil)
2 Clown Fish (Names Money and Space - Nemo Space and Nemo Money)
3 Kupang Damsels
Peppermint Shrimp
Powder Blue Tang (Name Wu)

They all have plenty of space. Eventually the tang will out grow the tank and I will have to move him to a bigger one or sell him.

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So I’m looking at wrasses, and really quite like the look of the six line, but I’m reading that they aren’t always good for a more peaceful environment.

Any specific recommendations on a medium sized, tank appropriate wrasse that isn’t purple?

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I in Indiana too. I also have a 54 corner from the Reef in Indy. My tank page is list below. Please feel free to reach out to me with questions about what I have going on.

Current stock in mine is:
Diamond Watchman Goby (Named Neil)
2 Clown Fish (Names Money and Space - Nemo Space and Nemo Money)
3 Kupang Damsels
Peppermint Shrimp
Powder Blue Tang (Name Wu)

They all have plenty of space. Eventually the tang will out grow the tank and I will have to move him to a bigger one or sell him.

I used to live in the city, but now live on the northern edge of the state. Clever names for the clowns!!

Do you find the 54 to be challenging to light/filter/clean? The only way I could do anything bigger than a nano in that room was with the corner tank, but I’m already finding space for filters and things like that to be troublesome.

Ciepierball

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

While my tank finishes cycling, I’m trying to put together a stocking plan. For those that haven’t seen my other threads, I’ve got a 54 gallon corner with about 55ish lbs of live rock and 50 lbs of live sand.

Tank will eventually have plenty of inverts, as well as some macro algae and soft corals in it.

Looking for fish that will be invert safe and reef safe.

So far I’m not settled on anything specific. I would really like 1 or 2 of the “Blizzard” clownfish (mostly white ones). I’d also like a purple firefish or similar Firefish.

I’m a fan of royal grammas as well as cardinalfish, but that said, neither are must haves.

I’d also like a “centerpiece” that’s a bit bigger than everyone else, maybe a dwarf angel or something like that?

I love gobies would love one brighter colored than the lawnmower goby, but still an aggressive algae eater.

Any stocking list suggestions or single fish suggestions would be fantastic! Thanks!
A foxface would be a great addition. They are amazing algae eaters, hardy as all get out, the smaller version would be fine in that size tank, and while venomous, I've never been stung once in the three years I had my guy. They are peaceful and serve a purpose. It's the great alternative to a tang.

Also, six line wrasses can be very territorial, however if added last, without adding others for awhile, I think are pretty tame with other community fish. I have has two, and they keep to themselves.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So I’m looking at wrasses, and really quite like the look of the six line, but I’m reading that they aren’t always good for a more peaceful environment.

Any specific recommendations on a medium sized, tank appropriate wrasse that isn’t purple?

sixline bad, along with the rest of their lined genus

halichoeres, flasher, and fairy are all good choices. most aren't purple

https://fishybusinessaquatics.com/fish/wrasse-reef-safe/page/5/

not all of those are great choices due to size, but it gives you an idea

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the wrasse advice everyone! I think it’ll take some time to pin down and find a specific fish, but that’s ok. The more I read about them, the more I think a medium sized fish fairy or flasher wrasse would be the perfect “centerpiece”.

So... I think I’ve got the 2 clowns, the wrasse and a blenny figured out. I’m also heavily leaning toward a small group of cardinals and some combo of gramma/basslet/firefish.

With the wrasse I’m looking at topping out at 4-4.5 inches, I think that’s the one medium sized fish I want. Preferably everything else is smaller.

Assuming I don’t go with a firefish, are there any gobies that you think would go well in this setup?

I know most damsels are jerks, but they are colorful and I’ve seen a few types listed in with reef setups. Any recommendations on them, such as the Kupang/azure listed above?

Any oddballs like a small filefish or something that would be recommended?

Anything else I should consider or you think would do well or add to the fun of this tank before I get settled on anything? I’d rather “kick out” a fish or species now while I’m planning than when I actually start stocking. Sorry for all the questions, but I always wished I’d setup a tank and fully planned out the livestock, so that’s what I’m trying to do now!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the wrasse advice everyone! I think it’ll take some time to pin down and find a specific fish, but that’s ok. The more I read about them, the more I think a medium sized fish fairy or flasher wrasse would be the perfect “centerpiece”.

So... I think I’ve got the 2 clowns, the wrasse and a blenny figured out. I’m also heavily leaning toward a small group of cardinals and some combo of gramma/basslet/firefish.

With the wrasse I’m looking at topping out at 4-4.5 inches, I think that’s the one medium sized fish I want. Preferably everything else is smaller.

Assuming I don’t go with a firefish, are there any gobies that you think would go well in this setup?

I know most damsels are jerks, but they are colorful and I’ve seen a few types listed in with reef setups. Any recommendations on them, such as the Kupang/azure listed above?

Any oddballs like a small filefish or something that would be recommended?

Anything else I should consider or you think would do well or add to the fun of this tank before I get settled on anything? I’d rather “kick out” a fish or species now while I’m planning than when I actually start stocking. Sorry for all the questions, but I always wished I’d setup a tank and fully planned out the livestock, so that’s what I’m trying to do now!
What kind of cardinal group are you thinking? Bangaiis don't do well in groups.

Most gobies are pretty peaceful. Watchman gobies in particular are well suited.

Certain Chrysiptera species of damsel are better behaved than their damsel brethren. Azure, talbots, springeri, and rollands are good choices.

Matted filefish may work, but I've found many also nip at fleshy brain corals.

Lomgnose or flame hawkfish are highly personable.

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of cardinal group are you thinking? Bangaiis don't do well in groups.

Most gobies are pretty peaceful. Watchman gobies in particular are well suited.

Certain Chrysiptera species of damsel are better behaved than their damsel brethren. Azure, talbots, springeri, and rollands are good choices.

Matted filefish may work, but I've found many also nip at fleshy brain corals.

Lomgnose or flame hawkfish are highly personable.

If I go with cardinals, it would be pajama cardinals. I see divers den likes to sell them in groups of 3, so that would be ideal.

Both the azure and springeri damsels are attractive options.

The Hawkfish are definitely something to keep in mind. Both are very unique looking.

I see LiveAquaria has a captive bred radial filefish that looks interesting too!

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here's what I'm thinking:

A) For sure:
1 fairy or flasher wrasse
2 Maine Blizzard clownfish
1 orange spot or red finned blenny

and

B) One group of 3 fishes consisting of:
pajama cardinals
azure damsel
or
springeri damsel

and

C) Either a single or bonded pair of small gobies, dartfish or firefish

and

D) 1 or 2 fish from the following:
pygmy or flame hawkfish
radial filefish
black cap basslet
royal gramma

So, if it were you, add everything in group A (if you can, specify the wrasse you'd add), then select 1 option from group B,C, and D (2 if you have room). What would the list look like if you were stocking it?

Anything I'm missing? Anyone on here terribly not compatible? Anything else I should consider, especially for group B?

***Yes I know this entire list won't fit, and no I'm not planning on adding them all at once***

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here's what I'm thinking:

A) For sure:
1 fairy or flasher wrasse
2 Maine Blizzard clownfish
1 orange spot or red finned blenny

and

B) One group of 3 fishes consisting of:
pajama cardinals
azure damsel
or
springeri damsel

and

C) Either a single or bonded pair of small gobies, dartfish or firefish

and

D) 1 or 2 fish from the following:
pygmy or flame hawkfish
radial filefish
black cap basslet
royal gramma

So, if it were you, add everything in group A (if you can, specify the wrasse you'd add), then select 1 option from group B,C, and D (2 if you have room). What would the list look like if you were stocking it?

Anything I'm missing? Anyone on here terribly not compatible? Anything else I should consider, especially for group B?

***Yes I know this entire list won't fit, and no I'm not planning on adding them all at once***
In group A, the wrasse I would add would be Cirrhilabrus isosceles, the pintail fairy wrasse.

In group B it would be the azure damsels.

In group C I would do a trio of zebra dartfish, as the firefish are more easily intimidated.

In group D my choice would be the flame hawk and royal gramma.

I would suggest adding the damsels last.

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In group A, the wrasse I would add would be Cirrhilabrus isosceles, the pintail fairy wrasse.

In group B it would be the azure damsels.

In group C I would do a trio of zebra dartfish, as the firefish are more easily intimidated.

In group D my choice would be the flame hawk and royal gramma.

I would suggest adding the damsels last.
That’s a really colorful group! This is really fun to see what kind of stocking options I have. The best part is finding out about all kinds of fish I’ve never seen before that will make great additions. About half the fish on your list I was unaware of before starting this thread!

BGrand

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to live in the city, but now live on the northern edge of the state. Clever names for the clowns!!

Do you find the 54 to be challenging to light/filter/clean? The only way I could do anything bigger than a nano in that room was with the corner tank, but I’m already finding space for filters and things like that to be troublesome.

It is extremely challenging. I use the magnetic flipper every other day to clean the glass and perform 6 gallon water changes weekly, including a sock change. I have the sock in my sump, a skimmer, and an algae scrubber. The light that I have works great I just need to hang it from the ceiling to get better coverage of the full tank. If I were doing it over again i would get two Kessil A360X and mount one from each side. My light is great I just really didn't want to hang it. I created a bracket to mount it in the back corner but the arm is long enough to put it over the front of the tank. The Eshopps RS-75 sump fits great in the cabinet. The Eshopps X-120 skimmer is great. The two EcoTech Vortech MP 10WQD move a bunch of water.

To sum it all up. It's a challenge but I love it.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 54g corner tank for a while, and found it pretty easy to care for. The front being curved and being the longest stretch of glass was great to get good flow. The front glass being further from. The center of the tank also meant less algae growth on the glass.

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 54g corner tank for a while, and found it pretty easy to care for. The front being curved and being the longest stretch of glass was great to get good flow. The front glass being further from. The center of the tank also meant less algae growth on the glass.

I’m seeing that water movement already. The powerheads along with that “meh” HOB filter create a pretty substantial current. I haven’t noticed any dead spots to speak of, and if the HOB starts throwing bubbles for any reason, they make it to the sand bed before finally getting to move back up.

I think my issue with this tank is due to space/visual constraints, one side has to be flat against a wall, leaving me HOB access to one side, which with the lid is about 11”.

I also didn’t get the reef ready version, so I’ve got to be extremely careful on what I select for filtration.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 23.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%

Back