55 Gal. Diy Stand 2x4 is uneven, would plywood level/flatten it?

cmoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My frame is square & flush except this imperfection in the wood. Is this something that plywood would solve? This is my first wood working project so I want to make sure I don't do anything that will hurt my tank.

20240206_011043.jpg 20240205_222815.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are asking will a plywood top on the stand fix the small imperfections, the answer is yes. Will it level it, impossible to say. But you should be able to try it and if it's not level, take it off and add some kind of 'shim' to the frame and reinstall the plywood.

Is your tank frame-less or with a frame?

If it's frame-less, consider something soft under the bottom glass. I always use a yoga mat, but most people use some kind of foam.

OP
OP
C

cmoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are asking will a plywood top on the stand fix the small imperfections, the answer is yes. Will it level it, impossible to say. But you should be able to try it and if it's not level, take it off and add some kind of 'shim' to the frame and reinstall the plywood.

Is your tank frame-less or with a frame?

If it's frame-less, consider something soft under the bottom glass. I always use a yoga mat, but most people use some kind of foam.
Thank you for the insight, as I wanted to be sure before I purchased plywood and installed it. Is replacing the 2x4 something to consider? Would putting wood filler in the corner help the same as shims?

Last edited:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd shim it too. Then you don't have to worry about it later.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the insight, as I wanted to be sure before I purchased plywood and installed it. Is replacing the 2x4 something to consider? Would putting wood filler in the corner help the same as shims?
I wouldn't use filler. It's too brittle and is mostly for cosmetic purposes. Skin it with a sheet of plywood and/or use a shim.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back