55 gallon display refugium

Samsquanch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy y'all

I'm setting up a 55 gallon display refugium for my 125 reef. It's going to have a 5" - 6" sand bed with minimal rock rock with the tank primary being dominated by sea grass and macro algae.

I've been having a hard time deciding on what live stock to put in there. Originally I was planning to put sea horses in there but after doing some reading it's best to kept in cooler water than what's in my reef.

I've thought from garden eels or putting a mantis shrimp or a big hermit crab in there, but im now wondering about putting a school of pipe fish in there.

Im not worried about pods, I have a refugium in my sump and my tank is already exploding with pods. The display refugium is for nutrient export.

It's powered with a 550 gph pump with 2 adjustable powerheads, the plan is have more of a wave flow in there vs the turbulent reef.

What do you guys think about pipe fish or if I should do something different. If pipe fish, how many would be happy together. Should I change anything with the build to better accommodate them?

20210426_164652.jpg

Inspirational pictures im going for

2418jr4.jpg

image.jpeg

LuisPerez711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Following along as I am in the process of setting up a seagrass fuge as well. Mine is a measly 10 gallons but you have to start somewhere haha

Where will you be sourcing your seagrass? What types will you be keeping? What light are you planning to use?

LuisPerez711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a humble little 10 gallon petco tank. I couldn't fit anything bigger. If this goes well I'm thinking of building a custom sump that includes a large refugium section for the main filtration.

It is fed by the return pump to my main tank and it empties into the same sump. One system.

Attachments

• 20210529_074753.jpg
    20210529_074753.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 50
  • 20210529_074822.jpg
    20210529_074822.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 51

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's a good idea and looks good great looking reef tank also! i was wanting to have a similar set up with a display fuge next to my d.t exactly like the ref. pictures you put up! those examples are perfect for inspiration!

ive just had a hard time figuring out how to plumb both together, or if it would even be worth it for my situation, and just keep them separate. im curious how this goes for you, i hope you can give a few tips and updates for us later on

OP
OP
Samsquanch

Samsquanch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of a sump size are you working with?

are both returns to the same sump ? with separate return pumps for each display?

I use the Trigger system CR-44

Both the 125 and 55 drain into it. I have a 568gph Sicce pump in the first compartment next to my skimmer for the fuge return, the drains run into the next compartment.

20210426_114815.jpg

20210530_105641.jpg

Waterponies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you getting the seagrass from?
I'm looking for some to replenish my 40 gallon lagoon but the usual online stores are out of stock.
My sand bed is 4-6" deep and about 5 years old (well established). I had shoal, manatee and turtle grass all doing very well until that arctic storm hit Texas last February.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you getting the seagrass from?
I'm looking for some to replenish my 40 gallon lagoon but the usual online stores are out of stock.
My sand bed is 4-6" deep and about 5 years old (well established). I had shoal, manatee and turtle grass all doing very well until that arctic storm hit Texas last February.
Your in Texas, the sea grasses are south in the gulf

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back