55 gallon filtration

Peli45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a classic 55 gallon regular tank be run without a skimmer for filtration (mostly HOB filtration)? This seems actually cheaper than a fully fledged 40g AIO, even if I have to get the tank drilled for a sump.

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo simple answer is yes. Having said that a skimmer will make your job easier. If you have the room and funds set the sump up from day 1. I didnt and went with a 25g AIO and lasted 3 months before upgrading to a sump and 50g

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but unless you have a really old school tank, I wouldn't count on a regular 55 gal being drillable. Good excuse to get a 40 or 60 breeder, which have way better footprints anyway :)

BringingThatDottyback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely, this is my tank using only a seachem 75 hob filter and a small diy refugium (I dont think the refugium does much and I plan on saving up and getting a CPR.)

I actually have had better luck with my tanks using HOB filtration then the one tank I have using a sump.

Katherine Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a classic 55 gallon regular tank be run without a skimmer for filtration (mostly HOB filtration)? This seems actually cheaper than a fully fledged 40g AIO, even if I have to get the tank drilled for a sump.
I ran a LPS dominant 75 gallon tank with HOB skimmer set up and everything looked great in there! That being said though, I prefer a "cleaner" look without having the back filled with equipment and heaters standing out everywhere. Once you go sump, you never go back to HOB lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back