55 GALLON TANK Set Up Help

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a small 13.5 evo all in on tank and I have the itch to get a bigger tank now. I don't have the fund to do a traditional 55 gallon with a sump and all that fancy stuff. I have a 55 gallon Aquan Tank. My set up I plan to do fish only to start off with. I am going to have 2 power heads and a HOB filter. The power heads I have not decided on and I am looking for some recommendations for good ones for the tank. I am trying to decide the best HOB currently and have settled on one of the two.

The Aqua Max is a little more expensive but has a protein skimmer with it which would be nice if in the future I decide to do corals and so on so forth. I have looked at reviews on this one and alot of people seem to like it. Does anyone have any experience with this filter as well as media they use in it.

The AquaClear filter I have used before on my freshwater tanks and know its a great filter and I can add some biological stuff for me tank.

I am just looking for some advice with those two things because I have always envisioned me having a big tank with a sump and all that fancy gear and realize its just not a realistic option for me and I have to go this route with a more basic set up.

Merry Christmas everyone and tank you for any advice or help you can provide.

Speaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont need media for the protein skimmer. The aqua maxx 1.5 is great. Ive been using it for 6months on a 37gal. There are some micro bubbles for about a month but they eventually clear up. I wouldn't buy it from that amazon link way overpriced. Should be $200-220.

OP
OP
ScottyD36

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont need media for the protein skimmer. The aqua maxx 1.5 is great. Ive been using it for 6months on a 37gal. There are some micro bubbles for about a month but they eventually clear up. I wouldn't buy it from that amazon link way overpriced. Should be $200-220.
Thank you. I just found one at $197.

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as powerheads go I love my Vortechs. An inexpensive way to go that many choose are the Jebaos. Just be sure maintain them. If you keep them clean (mine are on a 3 month schedule) they will last much longer.

Merry Christmas

Christmas greeting.gif

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back