High Ammonia after adding nitrifying bacteria

CFish4812

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 7, 2018
Messages
33
Reaction score
12
What state or country do you live in
Kansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I added 2 ppm of ammonium chloride and dosed one small bottle of Dr Tim’s nitrifying bacteria at the beginning of this month. This is for an observation/quarantine tank.

The tank is bare bottom with pvc for the fish to hide, a heater and HOB filter with sponge and ceramic media.

The ammonia is still at 2 ppm after almost a month and I’m not sure what to do. I added additional bacteria a week ago but there has been no change.

Does anyone have any advice? Should I leave the tank alone and keep waiting, do a water change?
 
Check your test kit or have LFS test your water.

Either your bacteria in a bottle is dead or your test kit is bad.
Good idea will do. I’ve used two bottles of bacteria now. One at the beginning of the month and one about a week ago so I’m leaning toward the test kit possibly being bad.
 
Dr. Tim's bacteria can take +/- 3 weeks to "work", despite what it might suggest on the bottle 🙃

I'd give this a little longer without a water change to see if the ammonia starts to decline.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new