OP
OP
S

sumithnarayanan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the comments, I bought one of the lights that was recommended by sfin52

This is having a fan and I am finding trouble hanging its even though I initially thought it was OK.

I will check out ATI although LED seems to be an easy one.

I came across a 72 inch dual light from Orbit, what do you all think about this?

"Yes, I need to bump up my budget."

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across a 72 inch dual light from Orbit, what do you all think about this?

"Yes, I need to bump up my budget."

The Orbit USA lights are nice in that they provide a good amount of control, but they are pretty low wattage compared to a lot of other lights. The two 72 inch lights you mentioned are a total of 144 watts for both lights. Whereas the viparspectra light you mentioned is 165 watts for the single light. You could get three viparspectra lights for about the same cost as the Orbit USA ones and have well over three times as much light.

OP
OP
S

sumithnarayanan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Orbit USA lights are nice in that they provide a good amount of control, but they are pretty low wattage compared to a lot of other lights. The two 72 inch lights you mentioned are a total of 144 watts for both lights. Whereas the viparspectra light you mentioned is 165 watts for the single light. You could get three viparspectra lights for about the same cost as the Orbit USA ones and have well over three times as much light.
Newbie question : what are the benefits of higher wattage?

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie question : what are the benefits of higher wattage?

The higher the wattage the brighter the light, but this comparison only works between lights of the same type. An LED light with higher wattage will be brighter than another LED light with lower wattage. A fluorescent light with higher wattage will be brighter than another fluorescent light with lower wattage. But you can’t compare the wattage of a flourescent light to the wattage of an LED light because they are different technologies.

As far as benefits to a brighter light it kind of depends on what you want to keep. If you’re going with a fish only tank then it doesn’t really matter at all. If you want corals, some corals require brighter lights than others. If the light you get isn’t bright enough it may limit the type of coral that you can keep.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back