5 feet Immersive Build (slow and steady updates)

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers (and happy 420 to the other reefers), the time has come to upgrade my 45 gallon acrylic tank to a 3x sized custom glass aquarium. So far I’ve inquired from a number of custom tank manufacturers and I have two options to pick from (CTC and Crystal Dynamics). I want a power coated steel stand and both of these companies make one to match the tank.

I’ll continue to think about the two options as I haven’t finalized the details with either company, more on that to come. For now, here is the vision!!

IMG_2457.JPG

OP
OP
Picesduh

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What dimensions are you thinking of going with?

72x22x20 - Any drawbacks that I should consider with these dimensions?

72 inch long because I like the horizontal swim space.
22 inch wide so it’s not too obtrusive in the hallway that it’s going in
20 inches high because I want to be able to reach to the bottom easily

Tank is going to be on a 40 inch tall stand.

Still haven’t decided if I want closed loop or just a bunch of powerheads in the display. I like the fact of having flow in the far side of the tank using closed loop but I can’t stand the nightmare of a leak - even though the odds of that happening are as equal to a leak at the overflow drains/return bulkheads, but then those can be fixed without having to the drain the tank. In fact, I’m not sure what the solution is for a closed loop that leaks.... What should I do?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Picesduh

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am basically thinking of uping the size of this build to a million or so gallons. I have to thank @Streetdoc77 for this.

Here is the sketch of what’s to come ( I drew this on the train while going home )

Reef mural will be placed on the wall behind the tank. Since it’s a peninsula style the back is clear and it will allow for the viewer to be immersed as if diving on a reef in the ocean (except for the getting wet part). I want to angle the outline of the mural slightly, as shown, and the side left of the mural and bottom will be wall painted sand color, as if one is stepping off the beach into the ocean. Now I just need a name for it. Any suggestions?

Here is the mural I picked out since it works with the angle (basically the top left will be cut off). I’m not 100% set on it but it does work with what I’m going for.

https://www.muralsyourway.com/p/mioskon-turtle-mural/

IMG_0004.JPG

a3115b756f3d3dd391c7f882651d7dc2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Picesduh

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still can’t decide between CTC and Crystal Dynamic? I’m leaning towards CTC because they are local and I can pick it up myself and save on shipping , but CD will also build the wood wrapping for the stand. Any advice?

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool design.

I'm a bit confused by the peninsula design, with no space to walk around the back side... just flat to the wall on that side? With clear glass, you're going to want to keep that side clean, might make for a challenging rockscape in a 22" wide tank, leaving enough room to be able to regularly scrape the back glass.

I went with Planet Aquariums for my 60" x 30" x 18" peninsula. Had the stand built by a local fab shop for way less than what the aquarium companies were quoting me. Built my own surround... You might call around to local fab shops... might save you some money on the stand.

My daughter runs a muraling business, St. Louis, MO. If you're local to CTC (New Jersey, right?), it'd be too far to travel, or I'd recommend you speak to her about your mural. She painted the surrounding shelf on my peninsula, worked out very well for me. Mine was a bit of a different idea... here's a shot of the paint, before I framed it out and covered it with a quarter inch of bar top epoxy.

Paint2.jpg

OP
OP
Picesduh

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was waiting for someone to comment on why it is a Peninsula if it’s against a wall. The thing is, I want a peninsula style and right now I don’t really have the space for it. But I like to think ahead and know that when Im ready to start a family I’ll move from my current condo and will be able to set up a true peninsula with three sides open and will not have funds for a new tank because, well the family will be priority then. Also, I have seen tanks with a clear background and it does look nice to be able to see through the back of the tank.

You have a point about cleaning the back. I won’t be able to get a magnet cleaner there since it’s going to be against the wall and would have to scrape/clean from the inside. The alternative is to just let the back get covered in coralline algae (it will come off when I’m ready to move right???). The mural would then not show so there is a negative. My current tank has a 15 inch width and the hardest part to clean is the very bottom of the back but the rest is pretty okay. I thought a 22inch width would be easier (height on both tanks is the same).

Btw I followed your build thread for the PA tank and it was great! I didn’t notice the mural around your tank before, I mean I knew you have that area but didn’t know it was hand drawn (maybe I missed it if you had posted that fact) sorry. You did something very unique. I’m going to keep going ahead on my plan and also going for something really unique.

Im in New York so it’s far from MO but thanks for the suggestion. Having something custom drawn would be pretty cool to have. I’m still tinkering with the mural idea in general

Last edited:
OP
OP
Picesduh

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added Miracles Aquarium to the list of options. Now I need to start planning for Equipment - sump, gyre, mixing pump, plumbing. Plus the wall mural!

I think I’ll be going with this one:
https://www.muralsyourway.com/p/beautiful-reef-19290358/

Does anyone have a recommendation for a sump with a Refugium chamber? I’m not looking to spend more than $3-400, higher if there are more options. I took a look at Bashsea but the colors are too dark for my liking. Plus I want a viewing pane into the Refugium.

OP
OP
Picesduh

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to make a checklist for the build:

Equipment:
1) Sump (39x18) max dimensions
2) Return Pump
[Check] 3) Protein Skimmer - Bubble Magnus Curve 5
[Check] 4) BRS reactor
5) Alternative for Filter Socks!!!! (Klir ?)
6) AI Prime Lighting (Already have 2 AI prime)
7) Lighting mount

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You off to a great start. I can’t wait to see how the progression goes! :)

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t notice the mural around your tank before, I mean I knew you have that area but didn’t know it was hand drawn

Yeah.. photos really don't do it justice. Maybe I'm just not much of a photographer... but the painted shelf with clear plastic over it is somewhat muted, the dimly lit shelves, and the blast of light from the T5's... all in a rather dark corner. I've never been able to get a photo that really shows what it looks like. Oh well, looks great in person :)

I was waiting for someone to comment on why it is a Peninsula if it’s against a wall.

Makes sense. I'd think cleaning that back panel would be a major pain, but it'd sure look better if you could keep it clean :)

Looking forward to seeing what you make of it!

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to watching this build. Just a thought since the idea is to change this to a true peninsula one day. Why not use vinyl or window tint on the back glass. Then when are ready for the back to be clear again its just a matter of pealing it off and cleaning it up a little. Less permanent than paint but would still cover the back for you.

OP
OP
Picesduh

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to watching this build. Just a thought since the idea is to change this to a true peninsula one day. Why not use vinyl or window tint on the back glass. Then when are ready for the back to be clear again its just a matter of pealing it off and cleaning it up a little. Less permanent than paint but would still cover the back for you.

That would be the way to go but only if I wasn’t going for the mural. I want to be able to see through the back and the mural which then continues up to the ceiling. Going for a bold look.

OP
OP
Picesduh

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Greybeard I followed your footsteps and went with a 60x26x19 tank. Ordered mine through SCA after seeing quotes from about 5-6 different manufacturers (excluding PA). I’ll include my experience with each of them and why I went with SCA in a later post. I’m also having http://www.fandl8020.com/ design the custom stand. I’m sure some of you will recognize this stand design.

IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
72x22x20 - Any drawbacks that I should consider with these dimensions?

72 inch long because I like the horizontal swim space.
22 inch wide so it’s not too obtrusive in the hallway that it’s going in
20 inches high because I want to be able to reach to the bottom easily

Tank is going to be on a 40 inch tall stand.

Still haven’t decided if I want closed loop or just a bunch of powerheads in the display. I like the fact of having flow in the far side of the tank using closed loop but I can’t stand the nightmare of a leak - even though the odds of that happening are as equal to a leak at the overflow drains/return bulkheads, but then those can be fixed without having to the drain the tank. In fact, I’m not sure what the solution is for a closed loop that leaks.... What should I do?
I am going through the same decision. I'll be starting a 63" peninsula soon.

I was very close to planning out my CL. I wasn't going to do any drilling and considered just running PVC internally under the rock/sand to the far end. My current plan is to place a powerful, but low form factor powerhead at the waterline on the far side of the tank, with the cord running under the substrate. I'm going to wait on the final decision until I get the tank. Then I'll throw in my gyres and return and watch the water flow pattern before I begin cycling. If I notice a problem at that point then I can reconsider the CL. I really think I can avoid that with a Neptune Wave or Tunze nanostream at the water line or bottom of the tank. either of those options should be pretty hard to notice.

That's going to be a cool office. I like the desk.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice :)

You doing an internal overflow?

OP
OP
Picesduh

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, internal because I don’t want to go through the wall or see the overflow on the back shirt side. The overflow will be internal coast to coast.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back