260 gallon build

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past 6 months, I went through my first tank build and had a ton of success (150.4 waterbox) making the tank almost 90% hands off and automated. Based on this (and I warned my wife ahead of time), I've decided to up my game to a 300 gallon-ish sized aquarium.

I just purchased a "used" Planet Aquariums 260 gallon custom tank - specs below - from World Wide Coral for approximately $2,500.

I have yet to deal with Planet Aquarium as a company and don't necessarily have a great pulse on their pricing structure given this is a custom aquarium, but this seems like a great deal in comparison to the LX Waterbox aquariums I was looking at.

It's important to note that what I purchased includes the steel stand and aquarium itself exclusively.

With that being noted, I'm looking to start a larger build than my current Waterbox 150.4 and am looking for advice on anything I need to consider.

Sump
Bashsea PRO Series 60
- new via New Year's sales
vs
Royale Premier Reef - used sump that was with the tank for $250 (unsure if this can support a fleece roller without customizations)

Fleece Roller
ReefMat 1200 Fleece Roller Filter
- I'm a bit unsure about this one, as I needed to bump up to a 1200 for my Waterbox 150.4. I'm slightly afraid this might be a tidbit undersized.
If I could find a sump sized around 65 gallons with a build in roller, I might go for that but I'm currently unaware of any.

Controller
Apex DOS - ATO
Apex DOS - for any chemical dosing - I'm still debating on having a FOWLR setup so maybe not
Apex DOS - for water changes
2x Apex EB832
1x Apex Trident - I'm still debating on having a FOWLR setup so maybe not
Apex Pro
1x Apex COR20 - Debating on a backup/second return pump

Protein Skimmer
Nyos Protein 300
- I've had good experiences with Nyos so far
vs
Regal 250SSS - Everyone seems to go with Reef Octopus at this point so maybe?

Media Reactors
I'm unsure atm - I will have a refugium though

Powerheads
3-4x MP40s - A bit worried I may not get the shimmer effect I want with these, but their look and maintenance is a cinch. Maybe I'll bump up to MP60s but I don't think I need to.

Lid
The tank comes with a premade ClearView or TopLid top

Autofeeder
100% The Plank again

Lights
2x Kessil - AP9X - I have 2x AI Blades on my Waterbox, although they're great at distributing light, I really want the shimmer effect on this tank.

Livestock
I want something to compliment the size of the tank, but I'm unsure yet. If I run a FOWLR tank, really looking for exotic fish. I'll probably eventually move my Purple and Gem Tangs into it. Really have been tempted to get a Epaulette Shark in it eventually but unsure if this tank is just under the comfort zone size for that ("around" 300 gallons).

1703620558503.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, a few new decisions and discoveries made for my second tank.

Controls
I did a pretty thorough investigation to identify if I wanted to give Hydros a shot. Each time, Hydros came up short lacking proper 1st or 3rd party application integration controls I want (example DOS and lighting).

Refugium
I tickled the idea of using an Algae Scrubber in my first aquarium and decided to go with a full on battle tested and well known refugium. Time to mix things up.

This tank will be hosting a ClearWater v2 CW-200 scrubber. I'm still looking at alternative brands just in case, but this guy hits all the right marks.

I plan on combining that with some Algaebarn media cubes.

Livestock
My wife and I have convinced ourselves of hosting a shark in our home. Coral Catsharks are just too darn amazing to pass up.

We plan on purchasing an egg and hatching it, raising it from start to finish.

Fine grain sand will be used on the bottom, with an Aquascape consisting of smooth surface flat dry rock.

Cabinetry
The tank I bough came with a steel stand, but no surrounding cabinetry. I plan on creating something with a 3D drift wood look to go around the stand mirroring other parts of my home.

Feeding
Given my hell bent need on automating everything, these decisions couldn't have come at a better time. I plan on giving the world's first automated frozen fish food feeder a shot with my shark -- we'll see how that goes.

acrocapital

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited to see this build, following along!
I vote for Reef Octopus Skimmer.

acrocapital

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a barely used 250s octo regal protein skimmer on Facebook Marketplace -- picking it up this weekend for a "whopping" $300.
Wahoo! Seems like a good deal if it’s barely used, that’s a good skimmer. I have a 6000SSS they are a solid work horse.

RJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great deal on the tank, stand and lid. Reef Octopus make great skimmers. Bashsea sumps are awesome. I have one with a mat roller.

OP
OP
T

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wahoo! Seems like a good deal if it’s barely used, that’s a good skimmer. I have a 6000SSS they are a solid work horse.
Scratch this, wasn’t as advertised (of course), but now I’ve decided to pivot to a Bashsea protein skimmer as well:

OP
OP
T

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve decided to run everything off of my current Apex Pro system — 2 tanks 1 system.

This makes my ATO and salt station management pretty easy and saves me some decent coin on things like the mobius module, controller, etc which I can spend elsewhere.

I just performed my first round of purchases including the following:

PRO Series 60 Filter Roller Sump - Bashsea
Quantity: 1

ReefMat 1200 Fleece Roller Filter - Red Sea

AP9X Aquarium LED Light - Kessil
Quantity: 2

Apex TRIDENT (Alk, Cal, Mag) Monitoring Device - Neptune Systems

Apex PM2 - Salinity, Temperature, I/O Expansion Module - Neptune Systems

Energy Bar 832 Apex 1LINK Power (EB832) - Neptune Systems

Fluid Monitoring Module (Module Only) - Neptune Systems

Ecotech Marine Custom WHITE Controller Board - Adaptive Reef

600 Watt Titanium Heater Element - Bulk Reef Supply
Quantity: 2

Apex Lab Grade Salinity/Conductivity Probe - Neptune Systems
Vortech Driver Bracket Mount Metal - Ecotech Marine
Quantity: 4

VorTech MP40wQD QuietDrive Propeller Wave Pump - Ecotech Marine
Quantity: 3 — I have an extra laying around for 4

8-24 Twisted Protein Skimmer - Bashsea

Syncra SDC 7.0 WIFI Return Pump (800 - 1900 gph) - Sicce

OP
OP
T

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st round of plumbing purchases just went in as well. I have some spare plumbing items at home and plan on doing a few purchases in this area after I have the sump.

Aquarium Silicone Adhesive - Black 10 ounce1
1 1/2” ABS Bulkhead Slip X Slip 2
1” Schedule 80 90° Elbow Slip x Spigot (Street) 2
Schedule 80 Reducing Bushing 1” Spigot x 3/4” Slip 2
3/4” Bulkhead ABS Thread x Slip2
NPT Connector for 3/4” Modular Hose - Loc-Line2
Y Fitting for 3/4” Modular Hose - Loc-Line2
3/4" Modular Hose (6 segments) - Loc-Line4
3” Flare Nozzle for 3/4” Modular Hose - Loc-Line4

acrocapital

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scratch this, wasn’t as advertised (of course), but now I’ve decided to pivot to a Bashsea protein skimmer as well:

Holy, I didn't even know they made a skimmer that looks sick! Excited to see the results.

OP
OP
T

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so another update on some equipment choices.

I just received a Kraken lid for my Waterbox 150.4 and wow. I'm absolutely in love with it. I'm in talks with Kraken now to see if they'll make a lid for this tank which seems very promising.

Algae Scrubber
Apis-300 - After doing some research and knowing I wanted the best for this tank, this is where I landed.

Sign
I was always planning on getting a fun aquarium sign to go with my home theme, so bought one from here from a guy I met at Aquashella.

Lid
Kraken - hopefully

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back