6 line wrasse keep dying

Deago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on my second 6 line wrasse. the first one died within a month. this second seems sick. I have 2 clownfish some zoas and anemone. all other live stock seems happy and good

'swimming wierd and resting on rocks breathing heavy. and seems to have mucus around gils.

last 6 line wrasse had similar mucus around body.

trying to figure out whats going ON. I would like to keep a 6 line in my tank.

20231109_161702 (2).jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm on my second 6 line wrasse. the first one died within a month. this second seems sick. I have 2 clownfish some zoas and anemone. all other live stock seems happy and good

'swimming wierd and resting on rocks breathing heavy. and seems to have mucus around gils.

20231109_161702 (2).jpg
Assure good acclimation but also assure no clown aggression as they can get territorial. To see if clowns are cause,
set your cell phone on video mode for about 40 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a bully at feeding time.
Review the video and see if clowns are an issue. Also these 6 lines dart into rocks and scrape themselves.

OP
OP
D

Deago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assure good acclimation but also assure no clown aggression as they can get territorial. To see if clowns are cause,
set your cell phone on video mode for about 40 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a bully at feeding time.
Review the video and see if clowns are an issue. Also these 6 lines dart into rocks and scrape themselves.
I thought of aggression on the first one. Mostly the female sometimes. In this case what you recommend putting the aggressor in like a acclimation box til the 6 line recooperates?

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of aggressive clowns. It's not like they beat it to death. They just basically terrify fish to death. Constant threat, with no where to escape. Try an acclimation box. Don't rule out disease that clowns are effectively immune from

OP
OP
D

Deago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of aggressive clowns. It's not like they beat it to death. They just basically terrify fish to death. Constant threat, with no where to escape. Try an acclimation box. Don't rule out disease that clowns are effectively what

OP
OP
D

Deago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to get a acclimation box now and put the clown in it. What do you do or how did you add new fish with your aggressive clowns

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, don't get a six line. They will become aggressive and kill off other fish

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I thought of aggression on the first one. Mostly the female sometimes. In this case what you recommend putting the aggressor in like a acclimation box til the 6 line recooperates?
Box would be fine but still confirm if there is any aggression
My 6 line of 4 years is a model citizen

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah clowns can crazy aggro. When I initially added my bristletooth tang it wanted to hang out in a mini cave in the rocks in their main hangout spot. Clowns were crazy upset and went into “my territory” display mode for a few days. Settled out but I expected a bloodbath for a brief period.

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to get a acclimation box now and put the clown in it. What do you do or how did you add new fish with your aggressive clowns
I traded my clowns to a clown breeder for different ones. Even though I was able to make it work through habitat manipulation and feeding my other fish were never really happy and always stressed. My tank is so much more chill now. I love it

OP
OP
D

Deago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I traded my clowns to a clown breeder for different ones. Even though I was able to make it work through habitat manipulation and feeding my other fish were never really happy and always stressed. My tank is so much more chill now. I love it
nice I took the female back to the LFS and they let me traded it for a wyoming white

just added him and they got along instantly

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20231109_161702 (2).jpg
The mucous is likely remnants of the cocoon they make for protection at night so they can sleep.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back