6" Rabbitfish gone, no body?

  • Thread starter Thread starter IPT
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

IPT

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 30, 2023
Messages
576
Reaction score
404
Location
Alaska
What state or country do you live in
Alaska
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday my 2 barred Rabbitfish didn't show up for the evening feeding. I don't even know how old he was, many years. This morning he's a no show as well and he has NEVER not been in sight. He is always tracking me and visible. He was acting fine the other day eating and same behavior though I did note over the last month or two he was looking thinner.

Its a bummer, and I am certain that he died, but now my concern is the tank. That's a lot of biomass and I don't see a body anywhere! Its a 120 gallon jam packed with SPS, LPS and Zoas. I can't really move rocks easily if at all to search for a body. I might try and move what I can but, the tank is stuffed to the gills (I dose over a gallon a day of Kalk and about 140ml of part A and B daily).

How bad do you think my parameters will swing? I'll be testing Po4 and N03 daily for a while. I know I have a healthy bristle worm population and some asternia starfish. My Pod population was decimated when I had white bugs a few months ago and doses interceptor.

It's so odd, being in this for 30 years I have lost some fish over time. It always amazes me how they just "disappear" without a trace.
 
Yesterday my 2 barred Rabbitfish didn't show up for the evening feeding. I don't even know how old he was, many years. This morning he's a no show as well and he has NEVER not been in sight. He is always tracking me and visible. He was acting fine the other day eating and same behavior though I did note over the last month or two he was looking thinner.

Its a bummer, and I am certain that he died, but now my concern is the tank. That's a lot of biomass and I don't see a body anywhere! Its a 120 gallon jam packed with SPS, LPS and Zoas. I can't really move rocks easily if at all to search for a body. I might try and move what I can but, the tank is stuffed to the gills (I dose over a gallon a day of Kalk and about 140ml of part A and B daily).

How bad do you think my parameters will swing? I'll be testing Po4 and N03 daily for a while. I know I have a healthy bristle worm population and some asternia starfish. My Pod population was decimated when I had white bugs a few months ago and doses interceptor.

It's so odd, being in this for 30 years I have lost some fish over time. It always amazes me how they just "disappear" without a trace.
It's common for the clean up crew to have eaten him overnight. Every fish I've ever lost too looked to have vanished. Sorry about the loss and may he rest in peace; I'm sure he had had a long, happy life.
 
Thanks guys. Well, I feel a little reassured. I'll test for the next 2-3 days just to be sure nothing radical happens.

Now to find a good vendor to replace him (and time to catch and get rid the the three terrorist damsels I have - they seemed to have moved the aggression up a notch without the Rabbitfish around and they were bad enough as it was!).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new