60 cube algae scrubber using captivate MT

Sbourque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 cube mixed reef and I have been keeping coral and reef tanks since 2009. I have always done regular water changes to keep everything happy, but I have started to dose captivate MT at a fraction of the recommended dose, with great results. The only set back so far is algae in one tank and bacteria in my other one.
Recently, I changed my stand on the 60 and I added a scrubber. I am hoping for people to share their success and or failures running a scrubber.
Thanks

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 cube mixed reef and I have been keeping coral and reef tanks since 2009. I have always done regular water changes to keep everything happy, but I have started to dose captivate MT at a fraction of the recommended dose, with great results. The only set back so far is algae in one tank and bacteria in my other one.
Recently, I changed my stand on the 60 and I added a scrubber. I am hoping for people to share their success and or failures running a scrubber.
Thanks
I have a small Icecap scrubber in the sump of my redsea reefer 350, it grows thick mats of algae weekly and my nitrates are never an issue.

OP
OP
S

Sbourque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small Icecap scrubber in the sump of my redsea reefer 350, it grows thick mats of algae weekly and my nitrates are never an issue.

OP
OP
S

Sbourque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for some feedback. If you don’t mind me asking, how many hours a day do you run the scrubber? Also, how big is your bio load? How many big fish do you have in that system?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's a ~90 gallon total volume system with ~70 gallon display, fish stocking list below. No "big" fish as of now. I run the scrubber light for 18 hours a day (6pm-12noon), I could probably run less.

2 ocellaris clowns
1 coral beauty angel
1 yellow tang
1 six-line wrasse
1 molly

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a scrubber and haven’t done water changes in 2+ years.
Nitrates consistent 0
Phosphate 0-.02

I have to add liquid supplements to get to 2-5 / .05

Fish load is low, 4 fish in 75. But I heavy broadcast feed coral food (benereef, goniopower, reef blizzard s, aminos)

I run the scrubber light 18 hours a day, I probably could reduce this a bit but everything is thriving so I don’t want to mess with it

OP
OP
S

Sbourque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's a ~90 gallon total volume system with ~70 gallon display, fish stocking list below. No "big" fish as of now. I run the scrubber light for 18 hours a day (6pm-12noon), I could probably run less.

2 ocellaris clowns
1 coral beauty angel
1 yellow tang
1 six-line wrasse
1 molly
Are you dosing something for the scrubber?

OP
OP
S

Sbourque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a scrubber and haven’t done water changes in 2+ years.
Nitrates consistent 0
Phosphate 0-.02

I have to add liquid supplements to get to 2-5 / .05

Fish load is low, 4 fish in 75. But I heavy broadcast feed coral food (benereef, goniopower, reef blizzard s, aminos)

I run the scrubber light 18 hours a day, I probably could reduce this a bit but everything is thriving so I don’t want to mess with

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back