OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been awhile but finally have some updates! So in an effort the have the stand be as nice as it could be I recruited the help of my brother to help out with that as he is a master wood worker on the side. He pretty much took over the stand project but due to his schedule it took awhile for it to be complete. Any how got it back and it came out awesome! Was so stoked to get it in the house and actually be able to set it in the couple locations we had picked out for it and see something there rather than just trying to imagine. Found the spot and wanted to go a step further so let’s throw the tank up there! Really get a look for how it will all look once in place. In the process I ended up finding the bottom corner of the tank is chipped off through to the silicone. What a bummer, contacted aqueon and sent them some pics and I’m thinking they will send a replacement but I’m almost just saying what the heck and having a tank built by Glasscages, still on the fence.
IMG_3769.jpeg
IMG_3770.jpeg
IMG_3771.jpeg

And here’s a pic of her on the stand (doors are removed)
IMG_3773.jpeg

It is 56” tall to the top of the tank which is awesome, just kinda dwarfs my 125 gallon cichlid tank sitting beside it lol so might have to do something about that in the near future.

Equipment updates also, since my last few post I’ve got quite a pile of parts sitting and waiting.

Radion g6 pro (would trade for AI blades)
Reef octopus 110sss skimmer
Modular marine 1200gph overflow
Nero 5
Jebao DCW-3500 return pump
Will be doing a tunze ATO
A synergy ATO 5 gal container
I’m sure there’s a couple things I’m missing.

Any how small update but it’s getting close and I’m super excited, was supposed to paint and drill the tank but with the chip issue still very up in the air about what to do now.

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any more updates?
Got a new tank, need to paint and drill it. I bought a jetski and also with what I do for a living I’ve just been really busy, and the tank being chipped set me back. Also, I goofed on my rock cycle so that’s been about three months of waisted time, but glad I made the mistake with the rock in a brute rather than in the tank so that’s a plus. With that being said once I get the tank set up and operational I’ll be doing a 50/50 split or something close to that ratio with the rock I currently have (Marco dry) and also be going to Tampa Bay live rock and picking up 25-30 pounds from them! I’m sort of leery, just with potential for pest and all but I’m big on real, natural biodiversity and think having some rock In tank that came from my home States ocean will be pretty cool.

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a new tank, need to paint and drill it. I bought a jetski and also with what I do for a living I’ve just been really busy, and the tank being chipped set me back. Also, I goofed on my rock cycle so that’s been about three months of waisted time, but glad I made the mistake with the rock in a brute rather than in the tank so that’s a plus. With that being said once I get the tank set up and operational I’ll be doing a 50/50 split or something close to that ratio with the rock I currently have (Marco dry) and also be going to Tampa Bay live rock and picking up 25-30 pounds from them! I’m sort of leery, just with potential for pest and all but I’m big on real, natural biodiversity and think having some rock In tank that came from my home States ocean will be pretty cool.
So they replaced the tank under warranty then?

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I had to get a hold of the company that supplies Petco with the aqueon tanks and they were nice enough to send me a reimbursement check. However, I bought the tank on sale, so I had to wait for them to run the 50% off sale again before I could get another one…. Was considering going custom, but if I’m going to spend $1,000 on a tank I’d much rather it be a larger, 2nd hand tank.
So they replaced the tank under warranty then?

LaBounty2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I had to get a hold of the company that supplies Petco with the aqueon tanks and they were nice enough to send me a reimbursement check. However, I bought the tank on sale, so I had to wait for them to run the 50% off sale again before I could get another one…. Was considering going custom, but if I’m going to spend $1,000 on a tank I’d much rather it be a larger, 2nd hand tank.
I just purchased one of the 60 gallon Cubes from Petco on sale over the weekend and found this thread. I was wondering if you were picking up this project again and if you drilled your tank already. I am a little bit hesitant to drill it out of fear it might be tempered glass.

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased one of the 60 gallon Cubes from Petco on sale over the weekend and found this thread. I was wondering if you were picking up this project again and if you drilled your tank already. I am a little bit hesitant to drill it out of fear it might be tempered glass.
I did a lot of looking around for that reason and I’m 99% sure if it’s tempered glass it will have a sticker on the bottom saying so. There’s also a couple of test you can do with a pair of polarized glasses and putting something on your phone screen and then looking at it through the glass, don’t know the specifics but I’m sure a quick google search would have ya going… all in all I have the overflow purchased along with the drill bit and all the parts and pieces for the return and fully intend on drilling the tank. If it breaks, it’ll suck, but then again I guess that’ll be the second hint aside from the chipped glass on the first tank that I shouldn’t have cheaped out. But In all seriousness I’m sure it’ll work just fine, many, many aqueon petsmart tanks out there drilled and running fine.

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a lot of looking around for that reason and I’m 99% sure if it’s tempered glass it will have a sticker on the bottom saying so. There’s also a couple of test you can do with a pair of polarized glasses and putting something on your phone screen and then looking at it through the glass, don’t know the specifics but I’m sure a quick google search would have ya going… all in all I have the overflow purchased along with the drill bit and all the parts and pieces for the return and fully intend on drilling the tank. If it breaks, it’ll suck, but then again I guess that’ll be the second hint aside from the chipped glass on the first tank that I shouldn’t have cheaped out. But In all seriousness I’m sure it’ll work just fine, many, many aqueon petsmart tanks out there drilled and running fine.
Historically on Aqueon tanks only the bottoms have been tempered.

shadowlink12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! I am a couple of steps ahead of you. Just finished the final plumbing this weekend and starting on the rock work
1681401635538.png
What tank and stand are you using, I really like the way your stand and tank look together, I am going to be starting a 60 gallon cube tank soon.

shadowlink12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been awhile but finally have some updates! So in an effort the have the stand be as nice as it could be I recruited the help of my brother to help out with that as he is a master wood worker on the side. He pretty much took over the stand project but due to his schedule it took awhile for it to be complete. Any how got it back and it came out awesome! Was so stoked to get it in the house and actually be able to set it in the couple locations we had picked out for it and see something there rather than just trying to imagine. Found the spot and wanted to go a step further so let’s throw the tank up there! Really get a look for how it will all look once in place. In the process I ended up finding the bottom corner of the tank is chipped off through to the silicone. What a bummer, contacted aqueon and sent them some pics and I’m thinking they will send a replacement but I’m almost just saying what the heck and having a tank built by Glasscages, still on the fence.
IMG_3769.jpeg
IMG_3770.jpeg
IMG_3771.jpeg

And here’s a pic of her on the stand (doors are removed)
IMG_3773.jpeg

It is 56” tall to the top of the tank which is awesome, just kinda dwarfs my 125 gallon cichlid tank sitting beside it lol so might have to do something about that in the near future.

Equipment updates also, since my last few post I’ve got quite a pile of parts sitting and waiting.

Radion g6 pro (would trade for AI blades)
Reef octopus 110sss skimmer
Modular marine 1200gph overflow
Nero 5
Jebao DCW-3500 return pump
Will be doing a tunze ATO
A synergy ATO 5 gal container
I’m sure there’s a couple things I’m missing.

Any how small update but it’s getting close and I’m super excited, was supposed to paint and drill the tank but with the chip issue still very up in the air about what to do now.
Any updates on this project?! Thanks!

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What tank and stand are you using, I really like the way your stand and tank look together, I am going to be starting a 60 gallon cube tank soon.
Custom planet aquarium stand. It is all wood with a dark walnut finish. I got it as a package including the tank. the stand is very solid and would have gone for tslot but needed something the SO would sign off on

shadowlink12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Custom planet aquarium stand. It is all wood with a dark walnut finish. I got it as a package including the tank. the stand is very solid and would have gone for tslot but needed something the SO would sign off on
Im really versed in freshwater however not so much in saltwater and am going for my first ever tank and stand, I really wanna take this slow but you and reefr have inspired me on this thread around how much did your tank and stand setup cost? If you have specs available as well id love to know what they are. Your tank and stand are just what I have envisioned in my head. I am terribly afraid to buy the aqueaon 60 gallon cube as it has many terrible reviews and I find mixed answers as to it being tempered or not.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im really versed in freshwater however not so much in saltwater and am going for my first ever tank and stand, I really wanna take this slow but you and reefr have inspired me on this thread around how much did your tank and stand setup cost? If you have specs available as well id love to know what they are. Your tank and stand are just what I have envisioned in my head. I am terribly afraid to buy the aqueaon 60 gallon cube as it has many terrible reviews and I find mixed answers as to it being tempered or not.
Yes I had the same concerns also the aqueon cube is not low iron glass. Originally I went into it thinking I was going to do a t slot build with the aqueon cube. Given I will have this tank for a few years, I decided to just do it right.

I bought a returned custom planet aquariums 60g cube (24x24x24) with the match stand you see. It was around $1300. Only negative about my purchase is that it already had two holes drilled. I had to get a custom modular marine overflow box made for it. which was an additional $200 expense.

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some work today, finally. Drilled tank, plumbed it and ran it. Need to add a ball valve into the drain line to slow things down there a bit and also drilled the hole a bit high so my water level is only about 1/4” maybe 1/2” below the rim. And moved the tank, now it will be mostly viewable from 4 sides.

Attachments

• IMG_4230.jpeg
    IMG_4230.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4231.jpeg
    IMG_4231.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4236.jpeg
    IMG_4236.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4235.jpeg
    IMG_4235.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4234.jpeg
    IMG_4234.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 54

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some work today, finally. Drilled tank, plumbed it and ran it. Need to add a ball valve into the drain line to slow things down there a bit and also drilled the hole a bit high so my water level is only about 1/4” maybe 1/2” below the rim. And moved the tank, now it will be mostly viewable from 4 sides.
Can't see in the overflow box, could lowering your drain stand pipes help drop the DT level a little?

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't see in the overflow box, could lowering your drain stand pipes help drop the DT level a little?
That’s what I’m seeing, and that’s what I will try is to shorten the drain pipes some. I also tee’d the secondary drain into the primary just above the sump, wondering if that may also be playing a part.

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the updates below, drilled the tank yesterday two drains and a return. Absolutely no problems

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.6%
Back