60 gallon cube

jeffskaggs

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 14, 2011
Messages
146
Reaction score
1
Location
fort pierce, florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to get a deep blue 60 gallon rimless tank, just going thru and getting everything together, just wanted to ask what skimmer you think I should go with, looking at skimz sk181 or the reef octopus sro2000, and getting ai vega lights but wondering if I should get 1or 2, just trying to get some help?
 
reef octopus sro2000 < ------- I LIKE !!
 
what are the dimensions of the tank? the vegas are supposed to be able to cover an area of 24"x24".
 
You would probably be ok with just one. I am putting four over my 36x36x26 cume but that is waybover kill. Coming yp with a good way to cover cube proportions can be tricky and i couldnt figure out how to fet food coverage with less without looking odd. I dont have a hood so it needed to look clean. You could always add a second in the future if need be but the 24x24 coverage is per ai.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app
 
Jeff, I will let you know in the next day or 2. I have a 60 cube and have been running 2 sol whites on it for 2 yrs. They did not have the sol blue and I did not know they would release one a few months after buying the whites. So I have a vega color in hand this morning and will try to mount it today or tomorrow here at my office. This is my office cube. I am going for 1 now as is does seem to have good spread playing with it last night at home. I have a dual t5 setup I can always add. I actually have been thinking of getting 3-4 of the UV led chips 410-420 and doing a little 4 led add on for UV since they left that out of there build to date. As far as skimmer I run a cone SWC 160 cone and its a dang good skimmer. If you wanted to really rock it out maybe a 180 swc cone but actually I think it may be to much. With my sump I am roughly 70 gallons.
 
Thanks, I have one vega on order, and was told one should be enough, I know that are much brighter then the sols, as far as the skimmer I went with the reef octopus, my buddy had one in stock, the only problem was finding a sump, but he had one custom made for me from next reef, thinking about adding a doser, looking at the ghl and the bubble magus
 
I run a couple GHL controllers and dosers 1 each on this cube and 1 each on my 240 at home. BM looks good also but I am 100% sold on everything GHL makes.
 
Im looking at the bubble msgus doser but who is ghm

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app
 
I have ran 1 flawless for a few yrs to date and my other has never had a problem either. Actually dosing alk/ca and vinegar with both setups and add Mg when needed. Thinking of just adding another motor and then add Mg 1x a week with the doser.
 
I'm running a SK181 on my 100G. It took a few weeks to get running properly with a low bio load, but now I love it. It's constantly pulling a nice thick layer of skimmate out. You might want to look at the 161 for a 60G.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 20.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 35 32.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 15 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new