60 gallon drain and return size??

Bruster45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on a 60 gallon reef build it's going to be a slow project, but mostly this j I have it figured out just got to get the materials.
The tank was already drilled in the bottom with two 1" bulkheads (one in each back corner). I believe I have room to add another 1" bulkhead to one corner for a second drain. My concern is will it still be ok to have a 1" return? I'm planning on using the hydro 750gph as a return pump. Or do I need to make it a 3/4" return?

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4 is certainly large enough, that’s what I use on my 60. You could put a reducer on each side of the bulkhead and that way you can utilize the 1” hole. So are you adding an overflow box? Or are there 2 overflow boxes? I’m trying to picture this

OP
OP
Bruster45

Bruster45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4 is certainly large enough, that’s what I use on my 60. You could put a reducer on each side of the bulkhead and that way you can utilize the 1” hole. So are you adding an overflow box? Or are there 2 overflow boxes? I’m trying to picture this
Im still trying to decide if I want to bent a acrylic sheet for each corner or if I'm going to add an overflow box. Still playing with ideas, possibly having the box but with the pipes exposed surrounded with live rock to utilize the space versus doin the wier from top to bottom and loosing space .

Urtoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could do it over, I would have gone larger. I would do Coast to coast overflow box, and 1.5” for the main drain. I have 2 1” currently. One emergency and one full siphon

OP
OP
Bruster45

Bruster45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200419_172844.jpg

This is the tank I'm planning using.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back