Return Plumbing Help

hondacbr600rr

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 1, 2025
Messages
135
Reaction score
45
Location
East Coast
What state or country do you live in
Delaware
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Need some advice. I am in the process of connecting my 150 gallon tank to a basement sump. This sump will also be connected to my 310 gallon tank.

The total vertical to the 150 upstairs is about 16’, with 2-3 90 degree fittings, and about 4-6’ of horizontal.

I planned to use an Iwaki MD-100-RLT pump. I believe even at that head it’s going to be bigger than what I needed, so I can T off of this line to supply my UV, and reactors.

The plumbing on the pump is 1”, and my tank has 2- 3/4” return lines. Right now the 2 return lines are connected under the stand for an existing sump. This sump will be removed when I connect the tank to the basement sump. I need to figure out if I should reduce the 1” to 3/4” in the basement by the pump, or run 1” through the floor and reduce to the 3/4” T near the bulkheads of the 150 gallon tank? Not sure if it makes a big difference either way, but figured I should ask.
 
Have a similar setup but 1 1/4” at pump and 1” at returns. Not sure if it matters but my
logic was not to restrict outflow near pump but more on return side. Less back pressure on pump was my thinking and it has worked fine.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new