lavoisier

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?

Not a lot going on right now. I'm "curing" my dry rock so not too darn exciting! I have some pics (ran another circut to a 3rd EB8, sifted plumbing after giving myself another foot behind the tank) and a couple of questions to you all about water storage that I hope to post in the next day or two.

OP
OP
lavoisier

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using these two "tubs" for my salt water mixing (100g and 40g).

DSC00057.JPG

DSC00058.JPG

I use an automatic water change system through my skimmer and a float valve to the sump from the tubs.

I am replacing the 40g above with either another 100g RubberMaid (less expensive) or with an enclosed vertical tank (3x more expensive). What are your thoughts?

corbzmorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, the joys of cycling rock... exciting times haha. For a cleaner look I'd do the vertical tank but if you are using a 100g rubbermaid already, I would just get another one if you can find space for it. I'm guessing you are covering it up with something to stop evaporation?

OP
OP
lavoisier

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather than just twiddle my thumbs until my rock is cured, I’ve decided to build another tank while I’m at it. I like the dimensions of my current tank (4’ x 8’ x 30”) with C2C. I’ll use the same materials: ¾” furniture grade plywood, 2 part epoxy (Jamestown 5:1 Total Boat Fast Cure), and fiber glass. I will switch to Low Iron glass this time around rather than the tempered glass I used last time.

I’ve decided to forgo the “Closed Loop” and use the Reeflo Hammerhead as a backup to my return pump (also a Hammerhead). I’ll add a 4th MP60 which will add flow and cut down on operating costs. With current electrical rates here in KC, the Hammerhead cost about$26/month or $312/yr. while the MP60 will cost about $1/month or $12/yr., so it will pay for itself in 2 years or so.

One question I am considering is whether to keep the 2 viewing panels (front and side) or add a 3rd side glass panel in place of the plywood/fiberglass I have now. The additional side panel would not be for display viewing as it is only a few feet from the wall but would add visual access for maintenance purposes. I have the glass available so cost is not an issue. It will add labor and complexity to the construction so I’m just wondering how valuable an additional side view panel would be? Thoughts?

Pics to follow.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't imagine not being able to see down a 4' end panel, it seems like the glass would be a good idea. Plus I want to watch you install another piece of glass lol

OP
OP
lavoisier

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow I have always been interested in plywood tanks. just never the space to do it...
do you have any pics of the process of adding the epoxy how many coats did you use? could ask you a 100 questions...but i will not :D

Devaji, I will post pics as I work. This epoxy is easy to work with a 6 hour dry time (no vocs) so I will able to do the two coats in a day without having to sand between coats. I'm a teacher at the end of the semester so I will probably not start until next weekend. Please feel free to ask questions that is what we are all here for--as many as you have.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build! I watched the last build a few years ago and was sad to see it go. I thought you were unhappy with the solar tubes in that application. What has changed in this build to make it more effective?

Love the dimensions of the build. This is exactly the size tank I would like to build. Definitely following along on this one!

OP
OP
lavoisier

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build! I watched the last build a few years ago and was sad to see it go. I thought you were unhappy with the solar tubes in that application. What has changed in this build to make it more effective?

Love the dimensions of the build. This is exactly the size tank I would like to build. Definitely following along on this one!

Yes, the solar tubes would have been ideal but with a basement build I had to use 2 90s and that weakened the PAR too much. This build is driven by aesthetics as much as anything. I will use Starfire glass and a fancy exterior. The technical change is removing the closed loop as it is neither efficient nor needed. I will replace it with an additional MP60.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome, nice to see you here

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question I am considering is whether to keep the 2 viewing panels (front and side) or add a 3rd side glass panel in place of the plywood/fiberglass I have now. The additional side panel would not be for display viewing as it is only a few feet from the wall but would add visual access for maintenance purposes. I have the glass available so cost is not an issue. It will add labor and complexity to the construction so I’m just wondering how valuable an additional side view panel would be? Thoughts?

I doubt I would ever use a side panel like that, (ie, one that wasn't really for viewing, mostly for maintenance) It just sounds like more glass to scrape to me.

Back