OP
lavoisier

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow going but I've made some progress this week. Cutting the frame for the front panel

DSC00068.JPG

When not using pocket screws, I'll countersink

DSC00069.JPG

These self-taping screws save a lot of time

DSC00070.JPG

Top and sides for viewing panel

DSC00071.JPG
DSC00072.JPG

OP
OP
lavoisier

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this pocket hole jig

DSC00074.JPG

The epoxy and stuff

DSC00080.JPG

I'll be using 10oz cloth. I replaced the scissors with 11" shears!

DSC00077.JPG

This is only the second time I've done this so I cheated with clamps to keep the fiberglass manageable

DSC00082.JPG

The fiberglass "disappears" as the epoxy saturates the fibers. The idea is to press the epoxy into the cloth as you spread it.

DSC00084.JPG

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I do lots of fiberglass, I actually use electric scissors. Black and Decker make a set that was like $20, and goes through glassmatt like butter. It was perfect for cutting hundreds and hundreds of small strips. Saved me so much hand strain.

OP
OP
lavoisier

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I do lots of fiberglass, I actually use electric scissors. Black and Decker make a set that was like $20, and goes through glassmatt like butter. It was perfect for cutting hundreds and hundreds of small strips. Saved me so much hand strain.

Jeeze, I wish I had known! I spent $12 on the shears, because the electric ones I saw were over $40. In my next life I'll get the Black and Decker's.

OP
OP
lavoisier

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made more progress the last couple of weeks. I love using the cordless caulk gun. Here is the side and front viewing panel with glass installed.

Side viewing panel and cordless caulk gun.jpg

Glass installed for front panel.jpg

On my previous tank the MP60s attached to the fiberglass plywood but they could be easily dislodged if given a bump. I used this router "jig" to take 1/4" off. They attach securely with this hack.
Routing for MP60.jpg

Back panel

MP60 mounts on the back panel.jpg

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must say I am very impressed with the plywood fiberglass tanks you fine folks make I been thinking about it for years. just dont have the balls or the space. but some day I will own my place and will have a to decide if I am gonna do it or wuss out...haha

some of my 100 questions...

maybe I missed it but why the remake from the old build?

what did/do find to be the most challenging part of plywood builds?

why did you choose glass over acrylic for the front?
where dose one source a large sheet of starphire glass?

is one epoxy brand better than others for this? how many coast are normally added?

why did you decide to go this why over a glass or acrylic tank? (guessing price point and you like to build stuff?)

any idea on cost per gallon VS glass. or over estimate what it would to do something like this?

keep us updated with lost of pics and details. :D

OP
OP
lavoisier

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must say I am very impressed with the plywood fiberglass tanks you fine folks make I been thinking about it for years. just dont have the balls or the space. but some day I will own my place and will have a to decide if I am gonna do it or wuss out...haha

some of my 100 questions...

maybe I missed it but why the remake from the old build?

what did/do find to be the most challenging part of plywood builds?

why did you choose glass over acrylic for the front?
where dose one source a large sheet of starphire glass?

is one epoxy brand better than others for this? how many coast are normally added?

why did you decide to go this why over a glass or acrylic tank? (guessing price point and you like to build stuff?)

any idea on cost per gallon VS glass. or over estimate what it would to do something like this?

keep us updated with lost of pics and details. :D

A) I am rebuilding for several reasons: 1) My MP60s were not as stable on the 3/4" plywood fiberglass sections; 2) I wanted to eliminate my closed loop; 3) I wanted to use low iron glass in the viewing panels.

B) Doing things for the first time.

C) Glass does not scratch like acrylic and weight was not an issue. I use Glass Cages and they cut to order.

D) You guessed it: Cost and the joy of building.

E) 4 sheets of furniture grade fiberglass=$200
3 gal. of Total Boat epoxy/resin with 2 packages of #10 fiberglass $350
3/4" Low iron glass $35/sq. ft. about $1000
Screws maybe $30

Then you have to take into account tools that you do not have now (unless you can justify future use--which I always justify!) I bought a biscuit jointer, clamps, pocket hole jig, router bits, cutting blade for my dremel, and probably some other stuff. All told my 600 gal C2C tank with 240g sump, 150g & 100g refugia cost me somewhere between $2000 and $2500. Glass Cages sells a similar tank for $4545 without sump and refugia; so the savings is significant to me.

OP
OP
lavoisier

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished fiber glassing the euro bracing last night so the tank is done except for the finish paint. We had another ice day in KC so I'm hoping to sand, prime, and put at least one coat on today. Below is my tentative aquascape. Any thoughts would be welcome. I think I'll post these as a thread on the Aquascaping board as well.

20190227_091047.jpg

20190227_091128.jpg

20190227_091222.jpg

From side viewing panel

20190227_091155.jpg

OP
OP
lavoisier

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had water since April and thought I would post some pics. What follows is from my phone so quality is not great and I still have a ton of work to do but I thought I should update.

Livestock (introduced over the last 2 weeks) currently consists of 5 Yellow Tangs (small), 2 Kole Eye Tangs (small), Blue Hippo (tiny), Sailfin (small), Juvenile Emporer Angel, 5 Blue Green Chromis (small), and a Maxima Clam, First Grade Blue/Turquoise (tiny). The first two weeks were a sand storm as you can see in this pic. Sand stablized after about a month with the 65x turnover rate. Next week I will add another Blue Hippo, 2 Clown Tangs, and 2 Powder Blue Tangs, all small.

Maxima Clam, First Grade Blue Turquoise.jpg

I picked up 3 live rocks from LFS to start coraline and for more/different bacterial.

Temporary rock.jpg

Large island.jpg

OP
OP
lavoisier

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life Reef Skimmer is doing its job.

Skimmer.jpg

Skimmer Cup.jpg

I've added about 15,000 pods into my two refugiums--140g and 90g (all will be painted black next week to match DT. Both fugs gravity feed the DT and are lighted by inexpensive leds;
140g Fug.jpg

90g Fug.jpg

and the phyto culture is doing well though I'll switch to 2 liter bottles soon.

Phyto culture.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back