6095 rust on impeller shaft

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing some routine maintenance on my 6095’s this morning and discovered what appears to be rust on the impeller shafts. One is worse than the other.

This isn’t a removable part as far as I know. Are my 5ish yr old pumps a lost cause?

a896457e46acfe7019e91fefdb776333.jpg

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't look like the shaft is actually rusting, what I have seen happen a lot is some calcium deposits form and GFO dust gets rubbed into it and stains it. I would pour some straight white vinegar in the well and let it sit for a couple hours and see if it goes away. If they are really rusting we would see pitting and deterioration and that looks like just superficial staining.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't look like the shaft is actually rusting, what I have seen happen a lot is some calcium deposits form and GFO dust gets rubbed into it and stains it. I would pour some straight white vinegar in the well and let it sit for a couple hours and see if it goes away. If they are really rusting we would see pitting and deterioration and that looks like just superficial staining.
I will do as you say and see how it turns out. I would not have expected the shafts to rust. Is it a possibility even?

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. The shafts I believe are titanium. They can’t rust. Mine do the same, the magnets cause iron deposits. Just brush it off or vinegar and scrubbing. Hasn’t hurt my pumps yet.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. The shafts I believe are titanium. They can’t rust. Mine do the same, the magnets cause iron deposits. Just brush it off or vinegar and scrubbing. Hasn’t hurt my pumps yet.
That's what I was thinking but was thrown a bit when I saw it. It's hard to get down in there to clean it off, but I did my best.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just serviced my Mp40’s, noticed same thing on the shafts, I guess it is inevitable. Some pumps however ever have gone away from metal shafts which I like. I dont hink it is anything to worry about.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As has been said they are titanium and cannot rust, the only exception is pre 2010, those were 316 ss and they could rust, but that was more of an issue with the quality of the stainless steel than with 316 itself. I can be reasonably sure this is just a stain and not the shaft rusting.

Converted to Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. I would stick a magnet to the end of the shaft. If its magnetic(almost positive its not) then it could,be rust.
Don't think it's magnetic. Don't think its rust. Not from the shaft anyway.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back