6105 and 6040 click loud while start up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6105 and 6040, bought them brand new last November. Until now they are still making super loud clicking sound when the intensity starts from 0%. Cleaned several times but it didn't help anything. This sound is so loud that it always scares my fish...This sound is also appeared on both external control and 7090 controller, when setting 7090 as pulse with pulsing from 0% to set intensity. If it is from 1% to set intensity there will be no click. Couldn't find any useful info about this, and it makes me thinking of returning the powerhead...Anyone can help would be appreciate!

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tunze recommend not to start from zero. In my apex program i start 30 to 100 percent and no problem at all

OP
OP
coweyes298

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that sucks. I saw some threads from ReefCentral talking about the kicking when starting from zero. So many mixed information, one of the tunze US rep posted it shouldn't happened so if it has kicking you need to contact Tunze. Then some said don't start from zero. But it is silly to not start a real pulse from 0% to xx% that I want. The kicking sounds not right. I also couldn't find other contact info about Tunze. I did sent them question directly from their website in regards another issue of my powerhead before Xmas but never heard back anything...Though I figured out myself for that separate issue. I am still lost of who and how to contact Tunze in regards of the kicking sound and also setup with GHL profilux 4 controller @@

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some click is normal at a start from zero, but it should not be so extreme. The click is caused because the electromagnetic coil energizing from off to full power and the drive unit then jerks down and slaps the bottom of the pump. If the speed was changed from a low speed to a high speed this does not happen. If it is very loud, the main things to check are first that we have no hard surface contact, i.e. the side of the pump is not touching a wall and the silicon buffers are all in place. If that checks out, the usual cause will be either that the drive unit is sticking and not smoothly moving down, since they have done this since new, the issue is likely a drive unit which fits too tight and not calcium or debris but it is worth checking this as typically a tight fit wears in and seats itself within 6 weeks, though a continuous operation is faster than off and on for wear in. In some cases a second disk which is under the drive unit down on the shaft can solve the problem as well and it is worth checking that the disk is there, 3005.740 in the 6105 and 6055.740 in the 6040, these may be missing or lost and that will definitely cause a loud noise. Let me know what you find.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can use 0-100%, off and on is fine, but it will have a click, it just should be not that obtrusive.

OP
OP
coweyes298

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some click is normal at a start from zero, but it should not be so extreme. The click is caused because the electromagnetic coil energizing from off to full power and the drive unit then jerks down and slaps the bottom of the pump. If the speed was changed from a low speed to a high speed this does not happen. If it is very loud, the main things to check are first that we have no hard surface contact, i.e. the side of the pump is not touching a wall and the silicon buffers are all in place. If that checks out, the usual cause will be either that the drive unit is sticking and not smoothly moving down, since they have done this since new, the issue is likely a drive unit which fits too tight and not calcium or debris but it is worth checking this as typically a tight fit wears in and seats itself within 6 weeks, though a continuous operation is faster than off and on for wear in. In some cases a second disk which is under the drive unit down on the shaft can solve the problem as well and it is worth checking that the disk is there, 3005.740 in the 6105 and 6055.740 in the 6040, these may be missing or lost and that will definitely cause a loud noise. Let me know what you find.

My 6105 and 6040 is mounted on the back wall near side panel, but never touch anything.

6105 :I only set it to run from 0% to 7% and it will click. Same as 1% to desired %. But from 2% up there will be no click. I did check from 0% to 7% and from 0% to 100%, sounds like the click has same intensity. I did check the silicon buffer on both wet and dry side magnet and they are all intact. I did took out the powerhead once to do a cleaning but didn't notice any wear on the shaft. I run the powerhead with first 5 weeks using the continuous mode (no on off). I did change it to pulse from 0% or 1% to x% this weekend since I got the controller working, but the sound is still there.

6040: If I started from 0% pulsing there will be loud click. If started from 1% pulsing there will be no click. Running 6040 for 5 weeks too for continuous intensity.

No calcium build up nor any debris on the shaft, thus I cannot tell if the shaft is too tight or not (the magnet is strong tho). As for the disc, I didn't notice any disk like parts under the drive/shaft unit for both 6040, 6105.

These 6105 and 6040 are bought from Fragtastic Reef around Thanksgiving, and it is a drop ship directly from Tunze Texas I believe. New version of boxing (white with modern graphic).

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Permissible speeds are 0% (off) and 20-100% on new 7090 equipped pumps, 30-100% on older non 7090 equipped pumps. Please check if the disks are present, speeds between 1% and 20% can harm the pump.

OP
OP
coweyes298

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use GHL profilux 4. I changed the voltage from 1-10 V to 3-8 V and did the 1% setting as listed above. I followed this on some thread I found on Reefcentral and thought it was correct.

I took the 6105 shaft and impeller out and there is no disk at the end of impeller shaft. Shined a light to the inside end of driver but couldn't see clearly if there is a disk part present... did shake it but nothing comes out. Same as 6040.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shaft does not come out, it should never be removed it is press fitted in the motor, can you clarify what you removed? The shaft is the titanium part and is a permanent part of the motor. The missing disk is likely the issue. These fit loose and can fall out if the impeller is removed, if you email me your address I will send them. Tunze at sbcglobal dot net

pompeyjohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Roger - sorry to hijack this thread but I have two super quick questions about the 6040. I'm building a bubble tip nem only 50 lagoon. Should I go with one or two of the pumps in wave mode? ... and second question, what product do i need to control a 30% > 100% pattern with an apex. Thanks.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to create an actual wave 2 would be the minimum and 2 6055's would be better and the 6208 would be the best choice since it would be nearly impossible for an anemone to be harmed by the pump. I could not answer the Apex question as I have no experience with the Apex. I know they do offer an adapter cable and at least older units needed a low voltage control module.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back