63g CAD Lights Rimless Tank

specvjeff

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 12, 2009
Messages
390
Reaction score
16
Location
San Diego, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first time I've started a build thread on Reef2Reef. To bring those up to speed that haven't seen my build thread on another forum, I had a 63g leemar rimless tank. It was up and running for 20 months. During a tank move, the tank got a small chip on the side panel near the front corner of the tank. I sent pics and a detailed description to Leemar and they assured me it would be safe to fill. I had never been happy with the tank. My main issue was the overflow. It took up a lot of room and made aquascaping awkward. So I decided to use this as an excuse to order a new tank. I ordered a CAD Lights 36"x20"x20" rimless tank. CAD Lights has caught my attention recently. They build very high quality aquariums and their product line that includes protein skimmers and media reactors is very innovative.

The tank will have a 12" external overflow with three 1" bulkheads to accommodate the beananimal style drain that I will be using. Two 3/4" returns will be drilled directly into the back of the back panel. I opted again to not use Starphire glass. I've personally never been able to notice a difference between the two. The one time I had a Starphire tank, the glass scratched very easily.

Once the tank is finished, the set up will go rather quickly. I already have everything I need in order to get the tank up and running. I will be keeping the Super Reef Octopus xp1000sss skimmer. The only thing I may consider changing is the return pump. With having the split returns, the Water Blaster 3500 I have now may not supply enough flow with the extra distance it has to go with the split returns. The sump is still the 24"x14"x16" sump that AquaC built. The tank will be controlled by the Apex that I won at MACNA. Flow will be handled by two wireless Ecotech Vortech MP10's. The tank will be lit by a 36" 6 bulb Tek Elite T5 fixture. T5's will be new to me as I've never used them on a personal tank.

Hopefully the tank will be here soon!
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new