7 yo Clown with suspect swim bladder disease - Likelihood of curing? (Vid)

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 7 year old male clown that I think has a swim bladder issue. I came home from vacation and he was swimming tail up, slightly upside down. I dosed prazipro because both clowns had pretty beat up dorsal fins (bones showing) which I suspect from repetitive scraping on a cave opening trying to get my flame hawk that messes with them, but just in case it was flukes.

anyways, I was able catch him and put him in a separation box. I have been doing 24 baths of API general cure and Neoplex and then 24 hours in the tank for the last week, as per recommended by @Humblefish in another post.

My question is, how long should I put this guy threw this if it’s a possible infection? And what’s the general prognosis this will cure him? I have considered aspiration on the swim bladder but that sounds stressful for both of us. I don’t want to euthanize unless the chances of him pulling thru are good.

Edit: lastly, his activity is getting slower and slower, which I suspect is from not eating.
video doesn't seem to work for me, so I am going to upload to youtube

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 7 year old male clown that I think has a swim bladder issue. I came home from vacation and he was swimming tail up, slightly upside down. I dosed prazipro because both clowns had pretty beat up dorsal fins (bones showing) which I suspect from repetitive scraping on a cave opening trying to get my flame hawk that messes with them, but just in case it was flukes.

anyways, I was able catch him and put him in a separation box. I have been doing 24 baths of API general cure and Neoplex and then 24 hours in the tank for the last week, as per recommended by @Humblefish in another post.

My question is, how long should I put this guy threw this if it’s a possible infection? And what’s the general prognosis this will cure him? I have considered aspiration on the swim bladder but that sounds stressful for both of us. I don’t want to euthanize unless the chances of him pulling thru are good.

Edit: lastly, his activity is getting slower and slower, which I suspect is from not eating.
video doesn't seem to work for me, so I am going to upload to youtube

Swim bladder issues are generally positive buoyancy issues, and this fish is showing more negative buoyancy symptoms.
I think the fish is becoming moribund, as fish die, they aren’t able to position themselves properly. It also seems the clown is breathing heavy, but it is tough to see.
I can’t explain the dorsal fin issues, but it is unlikely to be from rubbing on rocks.
When was the last fish added to the tank?
Is the other clown doing ok?
With a 7 year old clownfish, mycobacterium is a good possibility - it is considered an “old age” disease and isn’t treatable.
Jay

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there’s a battle in the tank between hawk and clowns that complicates any prognosis for them all. Can’t make odds if it’s a battle to the death or just for domination going on. I would probably not have intervened unless I was going to separate them for good.

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there’s a battle in the tank between hawk and clowns that complicates any prognosis for them all. Can’t make odds if it’s a battle to the death or just for domination going on. I would probably not have intervened unless I was going to separate them for good.
Yeah, the thing is they don't fight, the flame hawk just acts like a flame hawk almost egging the clowns on by posting up near the torch that hosts the clowns... then the clowns chase him. flame hawk comes out unscathed only to go bug another fish. So i didn't think too much of it since I never have seen physical altercations, just the hawk getting chased away as if he enjoys the action.

Swim bladder issues are generally positive buoyancy issues, and this fish is showing more negative buoyancy symptoms.
I think the fish is becoming moribund, as fish die, they aren’t able to position themselves properly. It also seems the clown is breathing heavy, but it is tough to see.
I can’t explain the dorsal fin issues, but it is unlikely to be from rubbing on rocks.
When was the last fish added to the tank?
Is the other clown doing ok?
With a 7 year old clownfish, mycobacterium is a good possibility - it is considered an “old age” disease and isn’t treatable.
Jay
I added some fish recently from clean sources, but I guess something that only affects older fish could be likely. QTed fish several months ago and captive bred fish from Biota more recently. I am afraid the female could be next as she has a similar dorsal fin issue, but acts normal otherwise. All other fish are about as health as it gets and get fed well.

The male in the video has been breathing pretty heavy. Doesn't seem as fast lately, but that could be because he isnt as active. It almost seems like his spine is permanently curved one way. I did get him to eat some mysis today, but do you think I should start thinking of euthanasia if this isn't curable? I'd hate to see him suffer longer than he needs to.

Edit: If mycobacterium, is that something I should worry about passing on to myself?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the thing is they don't fight, the flame hawk just acts like a flame hawk almost egging the clowns on by posting up near the torch that hosts the clowns... then the clowns chase him. flame hawk comes out unscathed only to go bug another fish. So i didn't think too much of it since I never have seen physical altercations, just the hawk getting chased away as if he enjoys the action.

I added some fish recently from clean sources, but I guess something that only affects older fish could be likely. QTed fish several months ago and captive bred fish from Biota more recently. I am afraid the female could be next as she has a similar dorsal fin issue, but acts normal otherwise. All other fish are about as health as it gets and get fed well.

The male in the video has been breathing pretty heavy. Doesn't seem as fast lately, but that could be because he isnt as active. It almost seems like his spine is permanently curved one way. I did get him to eat some mysis today, but do you think I should start thinking of euthanasia if this isn't curable? I'd hate to see him suffer longer than he needs to.

Edit: If mycobacterium, is that something I should worry about passing on to myself?
People can get fish myco from open wounds and if they have immune issues. Myco is found in virtually every aquarium and many seafoods.
I would give he clown a few more days and then consider euthanasia. Fish don’t feel pain like humans do.
Jay

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay. I was about to put him down but noticed he looked a little more straight this morning and was able to keep himself more upright than normal. I will see if he continues to improve but he's still breathing heavy and his gill slit on onside seems a lot more flaired out than the other.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay. I was about to put him down but noticed he looked a little more straight this morning and was able to keep himself more upright than normal. I will see if he continues to improve but he's still breathing heavy and his gill slit on onside seems a lot more flaired out than the other.
I watched the video a couple of more times - I'm just not seeing a treatable issue here, so if it recovers on its own, that's about all I can tell you to hope for. I don't like suggesting treatments on a guess, so if I don't have a good idea what the problem might be, I tend to just say "wait and see".

Jay

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched the video a couple of more times - I'm just not seeing a treatable issue here, so if it recovers on its own, that's about all I can tell you to hope for. I don't like suggesting treatments on a guess, so if I don't have a good idea what the problem might be, I tend to just say "wait and see".

Jay
Thanks for your help! Its been a good 12 days since I got home from vacation and noticed him. So I will keep an eye to see if there is any hope of improvement.

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankfully the female is recovering completely and her dorsal fin is growing back. She has some skin infections and her dorsal fin had completely wasted away.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back