Clownfish with Swim Bladder Disease

MacieKnis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi group,
After much research and reading I’m 99% convinced my Picasso Clown has Swim Bladder Disease. He was in a tank with parameters of
no3 10
po4 0.07
Salinity 1.024
Temp 76.0 F
With another Picasso, 6th line Wrasse, YWG, and a CB Shrimp.
All others are doing well.
however, my clown has recent lost its buoyancy and is now in a qt tank (10g). I’m on day 3 of Maracyn Two (Minocycline) Gram Negative for bacterial infections. It says if not better by day 5, to repeat treatment. He isn’t eating and although I’m worried, if it’s constipation I don’t think he should eat??
I’ve read a lot about NeoPlex, MetroPlex, KenePlex, doing Epsom Salt Baths, or soaking its food in castor oil that’s used as a laxative.
He seems to be fine otherwise but won’t eat and is off balance. Can anyone help me on what direction I should go next?
If the Fritz Maracyn Two (bacterial) doesn’t help, I’d like to cross that off then start for parasite treatment? Or maybe he just really needs to fart!
I really need some direction for what I should be doing.
Thanks so much.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi group,
After much research and reading I’m 99% convinced my Picasso Clown has Swim Bladder Disease. He was in a tank with parameters of
no3 10
po4 0.07
Salinity 1.024
Temp 76.0 F
With another Picasso, 6th line Wrasse, YWG, and a CB Shrimp.
All others are doing well.
however, my clown has recent lost its buoyancy and is now in a qt tank (10g). I’m on day 3 of Maracyn Two (Minocycline) Gram Negative for bacterial infections. It says if not better by day 5, to repeat treatment. He isn’t eating and although I’m worried, if it’s constipation I don’t think he should eat??
I’ve read a lot about NeoPlex, MetroPlex, KenePlex, doing Epsom Salt Baths, or soaking its food in castor oil that’s used as a laxative.
He seems to be fine otherwise but won’t eat and is off balance. Can anyone help me on what direction I should go next?
If the Fritz Maracyn Two (bacterial) doesn’t help, I’d like to cross that off then start for parasite treatment? Or maybe he just really needs to fart!
I really need some direction for what I should be doing.
Thanks so much.
Switch from maracyn 2 to seachem Kanaplex as Maracyn 2 more effective in freshwater. Need prefereably 20-30 second video of fish as it can also be edema or other condition. Epsom salt is also a freshwater remedy and useless in saltwater as fish is already in salt. Temp is a hair low )77-79)

OP
OP
MacieKnis

MacieKnis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switch from maracyn 2 to seachem Kanaplex as Maracyn 2 more effective in freshwater. Need prefereably 20-30 second video of fish as it can also be edema or other condition. Epsom salt is also a freshwater remedy and useless in saltwater as fish is already in salt. Temp is a hair low )77-79)
Here is a video. This is the best I could do without stressing him out any more..

Should I still do Kenaplex? Anything else? Do I need to empty the tank out of the Maracyn?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here is a video. This is the best I could do without stressing him out any more..

Should I still do Kenaplex? Anything else? Do I need to empty the tank out of the Maracyn?

I dont see evidence of swim bladder but rather, fish appears to be moribund and will likely not swim or eat normal. Can be impact injury, internal, or other cause. You can try Kanaplex but likely wont change this

OP
OP
MacieKnis

MacieKnis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see evidence of swim bladder but rather, fish appears to be moribund and will likely not swim or eat normal. Can be impact injury, internal, or other cause. You can try Kanaplex but likely wont change this
I have the worst luck with clownfish. This is my 5th clown. :(
Thank you

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This seems like an infection - which can also cause a moribund condition. (except its floating on the top - as compared the bottom of the tank) - I would change to a different antibiotic - additionally I would double-check the parameters in the tank

OP
OP
MacieKnis

MacieKnis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems like an infection - which can also cause a moribund condition. (except its floating on the top - as compared the bottom of the tank) - I would change to a different antibiotic - additionally I would double-check the parameters in the tank late to try a different antibiotic?

OP
OP
MacieKnis

MacieKnis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your advice. Do you think it’s too late to try a different antibiotic?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you for your advice. Do you think it’s too late to try a different antibiotic?
Not much will change the state the fish is in unfortunately

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you look at the thread with my discus tank (which is different than this assumedly) - all of the fish survived.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown does seem positively buoyant - that is pretty rare in clownfish, usually we seem them negatively buoyant.

Maracyn II is minocycline, and despite the label, that class of drugs is not very effective in seawater (the calcium interferes with it). You could try Neoplex or Kanaplex.

Is the fish still able to eat? If not, it may be too far gone to save.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back