Clownfish swimming down + shaking

407Hunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear R2R community,

Maybe some help with my new tank. 6 weeks in. Topped off RO last night. Placed 6 new soft corals in last week.

Darker clownfish affected in videos.
Lighter clownfish will occasionally nudge him at his belly to move or play.

Last evening: Clownfish pointing downwards, hanging in corner of tank.

This early morning: same but with more movement. Ate something off the substrate twice and started shaking. Did spit some out. Not sure if was bloated and belched. But yesterday evening ate nothing.

An hour ago: swimming freely as if nothing wrong. Not pointing down as much. Not hanging in corner. Barely ate.

Parameters today
Salinity (yesterday) 1.026 pre top off
GH 170 ppm (mg/L)
Alkalinity (yesterday) 16!! Pre top off
KH 120 ppm (mg/L)
pH 7.7
No2 ppm <1
No3 ppm <10
Ammonia (yesterday) 0.5 pre top off

Not sure if swimming bladder disease was due to bloating or actual parasite. If meds are needed can someone recommend where to purchase? And if local that would be a plus. CFL area.

Also, how soon would clownfish need a nem or coral to host? Didn’t want to place something that big early in the tank but local market has nice hammerheads that I could afford 3” for $49.
Last Q: wanted to change water today 20%, recommended to wait?

Sorry for the long videos. And thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_5252.MOV
    37.4 MB
  • IMG_5251.MOV
    74.3 MB
Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This can be a behavioral issue or pre spawning but- is fish eating and breathing normal?

dave001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph and kh are both low, but doubt that's the problem, is it like Jerry spasm movement? L....that's normal

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not an expert, but the two clowns I have are really odd. They have been in 2 different tanks and in both they spent 99% of the time in the top right of the tank “swimming down”. They are captive and I have had them for 2 years now.

During that time, I haven’t had a Nem. In the old tank, I had some really nasty GHA, and they would leave their corner to “nest” in it.

They also have attempted to spawn in my old 20g and some of the behavior your talking about seems similar.

What you are observing may just be normal activity.

OP
OP
407Hunter

407Hunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This can be a behavioral issue or pre spawning but- is fish eating and breathing normal?
As of yesterday didn’t eat the new pellets I tried. But had a bare minimum today with frozen brine shrimp.
No gaping at mouth, no accelerated gill movement.

Thanks for your swift response!

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did this about a month ago as well. Freaked me out at first but definitely seemed to be spawning behavior as mentioned. Have had no issues with them and are fat and healthy since.

Same exact biting and everything, just on my overflow instead of substrate/rock

OP
OP
407Hunter

407Hunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph and kh are both low, but doubt that's the problem, is it like Jerry spasm movement? L....that's normal
Hoping to fix that today. I thought KH was high?
Not sure, he’s acting normal but less movement now.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As of yesterday didn’t eat the new pellets I tried. But had a bare minimum today with frozen brine shrimp.
No gaping at mouth, no accelerated gill movement.

Try brine shrimp and small plankton

OP
OP
407Hunter

407Hunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not an expert, but the two clowns I have are really odd. They have been in 2 different tanks and in both they spent 99% of the time in the top right of the tank “swimming down”. They are captive and I have had them for 2 years now.

During that time, I haven’t had a Nem. In the old tank, I had some really nasty GHA, and they would leave their corner to “nest” in it.

They also have attempted to spawn in my old 20g and some of the behavior your talking about seems similar.

What you are observing may just be normal activity.

Still observing them as they are new. They were so playful. He’s chilled out now but is slowly observing the tank.

OP
OP
407Hunter

407Hunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did this about a month ago as well. Freaked me out at first but definitely seemed to be spawning behavior as mentioned. Have had no issues with them and are fat and healthy since.

Same exact biting and everything, just on my overflow instead of substrate/rock
Thanks for sharing!
Yea whatever what he grabbed off substrate but immediately after spitting out whatever (or belching) he started swimming upwards and bit normal.

Last edited:

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a normal clownfish to me.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dear R2R community,

Maybe some help with my new tank. 6 weeks in. Topped off RO last night. Placed 6 new soft corals in last week.

This early morning: same but with more movement. Ate something off the substrate twice and started shaking. Did spit some out. Not sure if was bloated and belched. But yesterday evening ate nothing.

An hour ago: swimming freely as if nothing wrong. Not pointing down as much. Not hanging in corner. Barely ate.

Parameters today
GH 170 ppm (mg/L)
KH 120 ppm (mg/L)
pH 7.7
No2 ppm <1
No3 ppm <10

Not sure if swimming bladder disease was due to bloating or actual parasite. If meds are needed can someone recommend where to purchase? And if local that would be a plus. CFL area.

Also, how soon would clownfish need a nem or coral to host? Didn’t want to place something that big early in the tank but local market has nice hammerheads that I could afford 3” for $49.

I can't see the video. I would just point out that your ammonia is higher than usual, and your pH is a little low - which is probably what's protecting your fish from being somewhat ammonia toxic. Since your alkalinity is so far off (also probably not affecting your fish) - I wonder if your testing is correct. If you calculate the assumed mg/l based on an alkalinity it would be 288 not 120.

Last edited:

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the clowns picked a home/host? As suggested, the "spasm" may be pre spawning. I keep a small clay flowerpot on its side in my tank. My pair of clownfish lay eggs in the flowerpot about every 12 days. Swimming in an upward or downward manner seems to be normal, at least for mine.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear R2R community,

Parameters today
GH 170 ppm (mg/L)
KH 120 ppm (mg/L)
pH 7.7
No2 ppm <1
No3 ppm <10

I don't know if anyone else caught this. And it could be an error reading. But, .5 Ammonia? Why do you have ammonia? Alk at 16? That's toxic? Alk should be no higher than 8-12 DKH. And I've seen some pretty bad stress levels in fish with alk 10-12. Above 12 I've seen tanks crash quickly.
With the alk at 16, Ammonia at .5 and nitrites detectable, your tank is cycling for some reason.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know if anyone else caught this. And it could be an error reading. But, .5 Ammonia? Why do you have ammonia? Alk at 16? That's toxic? Alk should be no higher than 8-12 DKH. And I've seen some pretty bad stress levels in fish with alk 10-12. Above 12 I've seen tanks crash quickly.
With the alk at 16, Ammonia at .5 and nitrites detectable, your tank is cycling for some reason.
Yes - I caught it - but thanks for reminding the OP - These values are off Not sure why.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since I've gotten a couple notifications - The results on pH All, etc. - are questionable.

OP
OP
407Hunter

407Hunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the clowns picked a home/host? As suggested, the "spasm" may be pre spawning. I keep a small clay flowerpot on its side in my tank. My pair of clownfish lay eggs in the flowerpot about every 12 days. Swimming in an upward or downward manner seems to be normal, at least for mine.
Good idea. Thanks for the input! Will try that at the moment better than laying another coral at this time.

OP
OP
407Hunter

407Hunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think those jumped after adding new corals. Usually my ammonia is undetectable. I topped off last night and should do a water change today about 15% and see readings. Thinking of another 15% by tomorrow. Suggestions?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back