70-75" TV - Spend my money!

  • Thread starter Thread starter d2mini
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 2, 2013
Messages
5,141
Reaction score
8,418
Location
Houston, TX
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking to upgrade our 55" Sony LCD.
Sony has always been my favorite for picture quality, but open to suggestions.
Never owned one but Vizio has some nice looking offerings and the reviews I've seen have been pretty good... but quality?
LG I do not like at all. My dad has one and I hate the picture.
Trying to keep the price at or below $2k.
I do have a costco membership and amazon prime membership.
A tv of this size would probably need to be delivered, too. Doubt it will fit in our cars.
Don't give a hoot about 3D. Probably don't need 4k either.

What say you?
 
I actually have an LG 79 inch 4k tv, and it's okay, but since you don't like the picture, that's a no go for you. My original go to for this size was the Sony 80 inch, but I didn't like the speakers on the sides, as I don't use the speakers on the TV, and they look bad. The picture on the Sony is excellent though. For budget considerations, the Vizios are good TVs. If you aren't concerned with 4k, etc., Best Buy has a Sony Bravia 70 inch for 1999.99 right now. That doesn't sound like a bad deal at all.
 
Samsung has the best picture hands down. I have had 65" Sharp Aquos LCD and now have the Samsung 65" LED amazing picture. Unfortunately for a 70-75" i dont see you coming out with the best picture for under 2k. Doesn't even have to be their top models, they are still better. Sony IMO fell off the top years ago and they are still probably the most expensive.
Dont get me wrong Sony is great, just dont think they have the best picture and for their prices it makes the matter worst.
a 65" you can get for 2k or less depending on the model/brand.
LG are nice just have no experience with them first hand.
 
Agreed! Samsung outperforms all other brands in picture quality. I worked for Dish Network for 10 years and Samsung always had the better picture.
Samsung has the best picture hands down. I have had 65" Sharp Aquos LCD and now have the Samsung 65" LED amazing picture. Unfortunately for a 70-75" i dont see you coming out with the best picture for under 2k. Doesn't even have to be their top models, they are still better. Sony IMO fell off the top years ago and they are still probably the most expensive.
Dont get me wrong Sony is great, just dont think they have the best picture and for their prices it makes the matter worst.
a 65" you can get for 2k or less depending on the model/brand.
LG are nice just have no experience with them first hand.
 
The best advice I ever received about TVs was to ignore any number listed on a sticker attached to the front of the unit, and to focus on the number and location of inputs and outputs.
 
Looks like Samsung doesn't even offer a 70"? I see 65 and 75 and 75 is too much dough.
I feel like if I get a 65 I'm going to wish i got bigger. At least with a 70 I feel like I moved up 15".

I have heard that about Sony.
Although I've been pretty happy with the 55" LCD i got about 4 years ago. But that's why i'm open to other brands.
I also turn off all that extra motion blur stopping features and turn the sharpness way down.
TV's these days are trying to fix stuff that ain't broke! They're like needle wheel skimmers! :lol:
 
Still researching this.
Went to Costco this weekend to check out some stuff.
The Vizio 4k TV is insane. In demo mode. Unfortunately there's really no content worth mentioning to take advantage of it. So that's out.
The curved samsungs are just silly IMHO. That's a solution to a non-existent problems. In fact, I'd rather have a flat screen. So those are out.
And then Samsung doesn't even offer a 70" and their 75's are more than I want to spend.
What I'm liking the best right now is the 70" Vizio M702i-B3 for $1499.
Great price and great picture. Also gets great reviews. Seems to have the connections i need.
And then if I want to move up to a 4k tv 4-5 years from now when there is actually 4k content to view, it won't hurt as much. haha

My finger is on the trigger but I haven't pulled it yet (the trigger, not my finger).
If anyone has some last minute thoughts...

Oh, and it looks like the connections are vertical, so the wires will hang straight down.
If I wanted to hang this tv on the wall, what's the cleanest way to run the wires down a coupe feet to the AV equipment?
 
The VIZIO looks great with the full array led back lighting . The remote has a querty keyboard which makes it a plus for using the smart feature's to browse on the web . I would definitely check out how the browser is since most tv's are not up to snuff especially SONY . I took back the Sony and got an LG . Samsung are great and the picture quality is hard to beat . As far as lasting is meh !Curved TV's are a mixed bunch since you have to sit in an optimal spot to get immersed .
I own a LG 3d smart tv and love it . It replaced a model within a year under warranty with BB . The picture is not as good as the older unit which was a Cinema Series . Mine doesn't have the magic remote this time either .They made up for that with better use of flash content . (a must for me ) . It's amazing on the price differences of units. BB refunded my full TV price and I got another LG TV with 3 year geek warranty plus a 400.00 gift card since the TV was paid off . Power surge killed it .U know no interest for blah,blah.
4K content is limited but the picture is still better when watching 1080 or blue ray . U also have to take in mind when using prime or netflix that you don't consume too much bandwith cuz a lot of ISP's are capping you . It more than likey comes from homes that have kept the internet and cut the cord on TV services because a lot of content is on the web now . That's a whole diff subject by itself but it sounds like you already picked out your new TV so what are you waiting for . LOL
Good luck shopping .
I also forgot Miracast/Intel WIDI is a good feature when the TV browser is not up to snuff for a wireless push to the TV from a LPTP or some Mac's
Dang I keep forgetting stuff to mention . Always use a TV/video calibration disc for the TV . It improves picture quality by leaps n bounds .
 
Last edited:
I basically only use the TV for... tv. :lol:
Don't care about 3D, don't need to browse the web, don't have a netflix account. Just satellite tv, and the occasional dvd.
Do these "smart tvs" hook up to my Mac like my AppleTV does or do I still need that? I hardly ever use it but wondering what the differences would be?
 
I basically only use the TV for... tv. :lol:
Don't care about 3D, don't need to browse the web, don't have a netflix account. Just satellite tv, and the occasional dvd.
Do these "smart tvs" hook up to my Mac like my AppleTV does or do I still need that? I hardly ever use it but wondering what the differences would be?

Well the smart tv will have its' own aps and the apple tv may have some the tv won't . If you have a amazon prime acct the tv should have an ap for tv,movie content The mac version of miracast is called "Mirror" . U know the top left hand side on the mac screen . I know it works since my buddy has the same Vizio and a new macbook . U push the mac desktop to the tv via wireless . So the TV is the mac's display . Your TV or receiver will see a DD signal if it's available .

HTH
 
Last edited:
How far away from the TV you will be sitting will determine what resolution you need.

Is This Retina? - DPI/PPI Display Calculator

Make sure you get a reasonable frame rate. Higher FPS movies are going to be trickling in soon and you don't want to be outdated too fast. (24FPS video will be 24FPS on a 60FPS TV, but 60FPS video will be seen as 24FPS on a 24FPS TV) Make sure that the frame rate is true frame rate. They will sometimes try to trick you with interpolation and say the TV is higher hz than it really is.

Example, that Sony TV is 120hz native, which is good.
 
Last edited:
Well the smart tv will have its' own aps and the apple tv may have some the tv won't . If you have a amazon prime acct the tv should have an ap for tv,movie content The mac version of miracast is called "Mirror" . U know the top left hand side on the mac screen . I know it works since my buddy has the same Vizio and a new macbook . U push the mac desktop to the tv via wireless . So the TV is the mac's display . Your TV or receiver will see a DD signal if it's available .

HTH
Cool, thank you. :)

How far away from the TV you will be sitting will determine what resolution you need.

Is This Retina? - DPI/PPI Display Calculator

Make sure you get a reasonable frame rate. Higher FPS movies are going to be trickling in soon and you don't want to be outdated too fast. (24FPS video will be 24FPS on a 60FPS TV, but 60FPS video will be seen as 24FPS on a 24FPS TV) Make sure that the frame rate is true frame rate. They will sometimes try to trick you with interpolation and say the TV is higher hz than it really is.

Example, that Sony TV is 120hz native, which is good.

This particular tv says... "Clear Action 720 – Enhanced motion clarity with 240Hz effective refresh rate"
 
Cool, thank you. :)



This particular tv says... "Clear Action 720 – Enhanced motion clarity with 240Hz effective refresh rate"

Look for something that says "actual" or "native" refresh rate.

"Effective" means that they are using interpolation and other tecnhinques to create something that apeears to be 240hz. Most TVs now have this and it is something that you can turn on and off. They like to use this as a selling tactic because people just see a higher number of some feature and the mistake it for being better.
 
Last edited:
This is all I could find on that particular TV. Seems like they haven't officially stated what the native frame rate is. LED TVs Guide: E700i-B3 vs M702i-B3 (Vizio E vs M series)

If this is something you will only be using for TV and movies, I think you will be good. The native rate is probably somewhere between 60-120hz based off the effective rate. Most likely on the higher end of that. So that is plenty good (For perspective, 144hz is the maximum in the industry at the moment. It would cost an arm and a leg for a TV with that capability and would be completely unnecessary)

I would be more concerned about it not giving a clear statistic if this were a 4k TV since higher FPS video and 4K video are most likely going to come hand in hand in the future (Avatar 2 is rumored to be 120FPS). 4K would be more of a long term investment as well. In the mean time this should be quite adequite for what you need it to do.
 
Last edited:
This is all I could find on that particular TV. Seems like they haven't officially stated what the native frame rate is. LED TVs Guide: E700i-B3 vs M702i-B3 (Vizio E vs M series)

If this is something you will only be using for TV and movies, I think you will be good. The native rate must be somewhere between 60-120hz based off the effective rate. Most likely on the higher end of that. So that is plenty good (For perspective, 144hz is the maximum in the industry at the moment. It would cost an arm and a leg for a TV with that capability and would be completely unnecessary)

I would be more concerned if this were a 4k TV since high FPS video and 4K video are most likely going to come hand in hand in the future. 4K would be more of a long term investment as well. In the mean time this should be quite adequite for what you need it to do.

ok from what I'm finding in reviews and forum posts so far, the native frame rate is 120 hz.
 
Sony 70x850b all the way love mine nothing compares in my opinion except 65x950b(wasn't available when I purchased mine) but 850 Def best bang for you buck I hate Samsung worst customer service ever and fake colors, the x reality pro engine is awesome in the sony
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new