70 gallon Artisan II tank build in Long Island

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been an adventure starting a reef tank. I started this tank in Jan 2017. I have a 70 gal Cadlights Artisan II tank build with a refugium sump. I love it. I was skeptical with getting a tank from cadlights as I have heard not so good things regarding their customer service. Thankfully, I have not had any issues and could not be happier.

I chose to use black sand for my tank since it was different from the norm. I like the way it looks and it makes many of the corals that rest in it pop. I have a total of 10 fish. You might notice a trigger in the tank. He has been good thus far. Will watch him as he grows.
Niger trigger
Yello tang
2 mandarins
Fox face
6 line wrasse
4 clowns

I have a mixed tank when it comes to corals. I have been paying very close attention to the water parameters. I have had a coral bleach on me and I believe it was due to the lighting change. Was not happy about that.

I love the soft corals. They are great to watch and are captivating. It is amazing what can thrive in a reef tank. My little cove of gorgeous marine nature.

Thanks for checking it out and I hope you enjoy. Will add to this thread as I progress and continue to learn.
IMG_0225.JPG

One of my mandarins looking no for pods to eat.
IMG_0226.JPG

Elegance coral. What a beautiful creature. One of my favorites in the tanks.
IMG_0214.JPG
IMG_0216.JPG

Scoly catching some rays.
IMG_0221.JPG
IMG_0222.JPG

The trigger
IMG_0223.JPG

Acan and chalice hanging out.
IMG_0224.JPG

Started this tank in January 2017. The tank, overall, is a good one. The stand and glass are great.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, the tank looks great and corals are nice and healthy.

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. There is a main drain into the sump and an emergency overflow as well. Will take a pic of my messy sump and post it. :)
Thanks! Was thinking of going with the cheaper 68G Versa but really like the idea of an emergency drain.

OP
OP
Mal11224

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic of the messy sump. It is a 4 stage/chamber sump. 1st chamber is where the water comes in and the skimmer is in it with my heater. 2nd is where I have marine pure and will be adding more rock to it. 3rd chamber is the fuge. Miracle mud and chaeto. Works great. Last is return where I have my dosing, apex probes and fluval sp4 return pure, which is and excellent pump and very quiet.

Notice in the far left chamber, the horizontal gray pipe is the main drain, the green hose is the overflow drain. Was not difficult puttin this tank together, despite some review you might read. It is a great tank.

The over flow is important. The sump should be able to hold any liquid that flows from the emergency overflow in case the main drain gets clogged.
IMG_0236.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG

IMG_0233.JPG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 52 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back