View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
70 Gallon Reef Tank Project

By: Weam Hasan

Please Note the original condition of the Tank

First Step : Sanding the cabinet

Using 3 steps of sanding pads (60,100, 150) starting with the rough (60) and smoothing it using (100) then finishing with (150) till the old color disappear.

Second Step: painting and polishing

Using a minwax wood stain that matches the trim color of the tank , apply two to three coats (with a few hours between each coat) with a cloth or a big piece of cotton to avoid uneven coloration.

After the final paint, you can spray a wood finish (semi-gloss or gloss) depends on your preference

(Please note the Final picture below)

The Tank

First: Repairing The Background

Using a drop ceiling panel from Home depot , break it in pieces and attached it to the back of the tank, please not to use a 100% silicone and make sure to let it try before the next step.

Second Step: The Rock texture background

Using a great stuff pond and stone foam a black and fish safe foam, to apply it you need to know a few things

1-It is impossible to remove the stain from your hands , will take a couple of weeks to be removed , use a gloves

2- The foam will expand a lot after a period of time, so practice first on anything before start working on an actual project to have a sense of how much to apply.

3-You can't use the can nozzle after it dries, so either to use the whole can in one application or to have more than 1 nozzle.

After a applied the foam in a random mater , i applied a light coat of sand on it and stick a few shells and rocks , i left a couple of places empty to assure a place for the equipment.

The light Hangers

I used a scrape pieces of wood to design and build this hangers, each hanger should be used to hold one light , I only have one now , so i used it like this to spread the light evenly.

The Final Product

I use to have 2 (27 Gallon Tank) That I merged into this 70 Gallon one, in the near future will add a sump to it. You can see in one side of the Tank i have created a small frag holder.

1-Before.jpg

2-Before.jpg

3-Sanding.jpg

4-Sanding.jpg

5-Sanding.jpg

6-Background Preparation.jpg

7-Background Preparation.jpg

8-Background Preparation.jpg

9-Background Preparation.jpg

10-Background Preparation.jpg

11-Lighting Mount.jpg

12-Lighting Mount.jpg

13 Final (1).jpg

13 Final (2).jpg

13 Final (3).jpg

13 Final (4).jpg

13 Final (5).jpg

13 Final (6).jpg

13 Final (7).jpg

13 Final (8).jpg

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!
Nice looking tank ;)

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 134 74.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 27 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back