Bonding Foam Background to Glass under water

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A friend has a foam background on a glass that popped off the glass a few years after it was installed and filled. Is there any way to glue the panel back without breakdown the entire tank?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend has a foam background on a glass that popped off the glass a few years after it was installed and filled. Is there any way to glue the panel back without breakdown the entire tank?
I think it could be done but no one can say how long it would stay put the second time.

Epoxy putty, attached to the foam, (quickly) and then coated in superglue gel and after that good luck getting it back into the proper place and holding it there until everything dries. I know a carpenter, named Jesus who could probably help but I wouldn't attempt this repair myself. Too many moving parts with water trying to float the background foam.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lots of super glue gel might do the trick… that’s about the only option with a wet tank.. silicone will work but you have to drain and empty the tank.
Thank you for the idea. It's a rather large peace, I doubt enough glue can be spread out quickly enough and to hold t in place. CG sets very quickly.

I think it could be done but no one can say how long it would stay put the second time.

Epoxy putty, attached to the foam, (quickly) and then coated in superglue gel and after that good luck getting it back into the proper place and holding it there until everything dries. I know a carpenter, named Jesus who could probably help but I wouldn't attempt this repair myself. Too many moving parts with water trying to float the background foam.
Thank you for the comment. I had to read the Jesus part a few times. :) Thank you for the Laughs.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the idea. It's a rather large peace, I doubt enough glue can be spread out quickly enough and to hold t in place. CG sets very quickly.

Thank you for the comment. I had to read the Jesus part a few times. :) Thank you for the Laughs.
You are welcome. I am not that handy with glue and I cannot imaging that most folks could repair this in a full tank. We shall see, as there are a lot of folks on here who DYI a lot and have some skills I don't.

Maybe post a picture of the project and that may help get real answers or solutions that may/will work?

And I'm kicking myself because I should have asked up front; "What are your tank parameters?" (Sorry. I had to. :face-with-hand-over-mouth: ) :cool:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff works like a champ! It’s a pint bottle and comes out fast!
IMG_2635.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back