70 gallon set up

Reef Hammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys...need some advice...
I have been out of the hobby for a couple years now and am getting back into it. Question revolves around plumbing. I scored a 70 gallon Oceanic that has never been used. Pre drilled with 2 holes 1 3/4”. Was going to set up 1 inch Herbie and then run a return line up the back and over the top. Thought one 3/4 return line should suffice. I have a Sicce Syncra 5.0. Making my sump out of a 20 gallon long with 3 chambers (want to use triton method). Is my Sicce overkill for a return pump? Is one 3/4” return line sufficient? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys...need some advice...
I have been out of the hobby for a couple years now and am getting back into it. Question revolves around plumbing. I scored a 70 gallon Oceanic that has never been used. Pre drilled with 2 holes 1 3/4”. Was going to set up 1 inch Herbie and then run a return line up the back and over the top. Thought one 3/4 return line should suffice. I have a Sicce Syncra 5.0. Making my sump out of a 20 gallon long with 3 chambers (want to use triton method). Is my Sicce overkill for a return pump? Is one 3/4” return line sufficient? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
What is the GPH and head pressure? How much do you estimate the overflow will dump GPH?

OP
OP
Reef Hammer

Reef Hammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure head pressure to be around 12.5 and my pump can be adjust from around 700 to 1300 gph. I am figuring that I can probably get between 700-900 gph from the Herbie main drain pipe.

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure head pressure to be around 12.5 and my pump can be adjust from around 700 to 1300 gph. I am figuring that I can probably get between 700-900 gph from the Herbie main drain pipe.
Sounds like it would work to me run a ball valve to adjust flow. If it's noisy from too much restriction buy a bigger TANK no J/K lol if it runs quite why not

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 152 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back