70 gallon tank stocking list for a new person

billy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am brand new to reefing.
I have a 70 gallon tank that is cycling. My plan is to make it a reef tank.
I wanted to see if the below stocking idea would work or if there are any other fish you recommend I look at. Also if there is a order I should add them besides clown fish first. Is this to many fish or can I add more?
Thanks for any advice

2 clown fish
1 foxface
1 flame angle
1 watchman golby
1 Hippo Tang
1 royal Gamma
2 cardinal Fish
1 wrasse (not sure type)
Purple fire fish

clean up crew

Widdlyscudds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditch the clownfish, once they they get settled in they are the biggest jerks on the planet, or if you really want a pair add them last. Mine try to murder anything and everything that goes in the tank these days and adding new fish is a giant hassle as a result

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also dwarf angelfish can be coral nippers in reef tanks but they are hit or miss.
Clownfish as well can be a--holes, sometimes and sometimes not. My last couple of pairs have been super friendly but they can get territorial in smaller tanks. Percula, ocellaris, and skunk clownfish are the least aggressive, while maroon clownfish and tomato are some of the most aggressive

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice balance for a 70. May want to consider a tomini or related tang in place of the blue due to size (and utility)

Start with a SMALL fox face

In regards to the clownfish comments, personal experience is (as dedragon suggests) tomatoes and cinnamon clowns
tempImage6bTLmi.png
should be avoided, but I find a young pair of of ocellaris are fine They are in each of my 3 tanks, (and in most of my friends) and in a tank this size should find their territory and not be a burden

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up with the following in one of my 65g:

-bicolor angel
-keyhole angel
-spotband butterflyfish
-blue headed fairy wrasse
-orchid dottyback
-squirreflish

The angels are fine with coral. The butterfly is a dedicated corallivore (and nori chomper and mysis devourer). It's an amazing fish -- very personable -- and I wouldn't want the tank without it. It leaves soft corals alone, so the tank is populated with them. The butterfly is also the only fish that I've ever seen that eats majanos -- I had a major problem with them in this tank -- so it's nice that I've found a natural control.

If I started again where you are, I'd build a tank around the fish, and forget about corals. FOWLR tanks are great, because you can often get outstanding fish that people want to rehome because they're destroying expensive SPS colonies. You can then experiment with coral when the fish become established. FOWLR tanks are also much easier to maintain than reef tanks for the novice aquarist. Softies really are underrated, and most fish won't touch them. If you want a beautiful reef tank, then get an Evo, use it for a quarantine tank, and turn it into a mini reef after your fish have cycled through it.

Katherine Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with the others posting, the FoxFace and the Blue Hippo will outgrow your tank. If youre looking for a good algea eater, I recommend a Lawn Mower Blenny. Theyre small, but BUSY! You could also consider a Bristletooth Tomini Tang. Theyre a bit shy, but are the only tang I would recommend for a tank your size.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 72 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back