72x30x24 220 - 3 or 4 4th gen XR30W for mixed tank

ShepherdTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting back into the hobby and will be purchasing a 30” deep 72” long 220 galling tank and am contemplating going with 3 or 4 of the 4th gen XR30W Pros. It will be a mixed tank with fish and SPS, LPS, softies running on an Apex. The coverage is advertised as 30”, but wanted to be sure three would be sufficient. I plan on a clam eventually and want to be able to support that as well. Anyone know if three of these will be sufficient?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some folks will advise you to use 6 XR15s so that you can spread them out more than 3x XR30s - same cost. You can always add more if you need to. Softies and LPS are not all that light demanding. SPS can be, but you can place them smartly under the "cones" of the light from the LEDs and avoid having to light every square inch of the tank like you were keeping acropora in it.

Clam might be an issue on the bottom of 30 inches, but if you get a rock dwelling clam, then you can move them way up into the rockwork.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some folks will advise you to use 6 XR15s so that you can spread them out more than 3x XR30s - same cost. You can always add more if you need to. Softies and LPS are not all that light demanding. SPS can be, but you can place them smartly under the "cones" of the light from the LEDs and avoid having to light every square inch of the tank like you were keeping acropora in it.

Clam might be an issue on the bottom of 30 inches, but if you get a rock dwelling clam, then you can move them way up into the rockwork.
Thanks jda,

Would you go with 6 - 15's or 3 - 30's for spread?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no doubt that 6 xr15s can cover better, but I have no personal experience with this. I would not use either, so I cannot offer any real advice on this from actual experience - my only experience was with an xr30 over a smaller tank and it was not long-lived. Sorry for not being more helpful.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree greatly with what they consider the amount of usable light a radion gives. I need two XR30's for my 24" cube.

I would tell you 5 minimum.

OP
OP
ShepherdTech

ShepherdTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can probably spring for two more, totaling 5. 6 is a bit out of reach though. Appreciate the feedback.

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ShepherdTech ,

Welcome to Reef 2 Reef!!

@Rakie @fabutahoun

Do you guys have any incite to the above post?

Thanks, Freddie
Sorry Don't know how I missed this ,
I would suggest to start up with 4 Radions XR 30 Pro, and you may need to add more in future if needed.

I am running now 3 XR30 and 1 XR15 on my 180 gallon reef tank, all pro

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, if I were to use the Radion lights on this system, I would go with 6 XR 15 pros as others have stated. With the XR 15's you can space them a little further apart and have a lot better coverage and less shadowing. You could always add more in the future if the need arises. Now if this were my system, I would use 3, maybe 4 Mitra LX7206 lights, as I believe these to be the best LED lights on the market, and they are in the same price range as the Radions. I like the parabolic reflectors on the Mitra,s compared to lenses and light diffusers used by the Radion's.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks jda,

Would you go with 6 - 15's or 3 - 30's for spread?
Except that 15s are rated for a max of 24” depth with 18” being optimal. I use one on my 24” cube but if it had been 1” deeper I would have gotten the xr30. Personally, I would go with 4 - xr30s.

You can always cut them down but you can’t make them brighter!

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many like to use 2 XR15 instead of 1 XR30. the main problem is you will have a lot of cables running around.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShepherdTech

ShepherdTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many like to use 2 XR15 instead pf 1 XR30. the main problem is you will have a lot of cables running around.
I am with you there. I’m sold on the Radion XR30 Pro 4th gens and will be purchasing all of the tank/equipment from my LFS to support a local business. The owner seems to be a real stand up guy as well. Having them setup/deliver as well. I’m tweaking a few things here and there with the build (number of lights, getting a quote for low iron glass, deeper sand bed/more sand, etc.), but think I will be really happy with the final product. Looking forward to having clowns with an anemone again and finally being able to eventually support a tang.

Wings317

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for this post. i too have a 220 gallon that i am setting up and i want to upgrade the lighting that came with this tank. some off brand chinese light from amazon is where the previous owner got them.

OP
OP
ShepherdTech

ShepherdTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked with the LFS about adding an additional radion and he pointed out the tank I'm ordering has two braces. I'll be going with a T5 retrofit instead of adding another radion and it solves the shadowing problem, at a much lower price point as well. He showed me a pic of his personal tank at home with 3 Kessils and a T5 retrofit and I really liked it. He had pics of it just with the LEDs and then with the T5s added. It will be plenty bright and his Kessils aren't as bright as the XR30s.

MikeW9788

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 gen4 pros on a 180 with the diffusers. The diffusers really enhance the evenness of the coverage and enhance the look greatly. Running sps ab+ at 80 percent overall intensity. My tank has two crossbraces so 1 radion in each of the 3 openings. I dont like the look without the diffusers, too much disco ball effect and from the brs video not even par distribution. The diffusers seem to be game changing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back