Cant make up my mind for 36" deep tank

Benh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havnt been able to find much info for lighting on a 36" deep tank. I have been reading and researching for a week. tank i'm building is 48x24x36 I have tossed around the idea of multiple lighting ideas. looking to be under a $1500 budget. Closer to $1000 would be ideal. tank will primarily be LPS, Softies, and nems, but would also like to be able to keep a clam or 2

My current options im tossing around are
1. single orphek atlantik
2. 2x radion xr15
3. 2x radion xr15 + 48" t5
4. 2x hydra 32 parallel with the tank + 48" t5
5. 3x hydra 32 perpendicular to the tank
6. single ap9x with or without some sort of supplemental light.

my biggest hang up with the hybrid setup is not being able to program them with the other lights, and dont want to have to mess with multiple programs and or timers. would like to be able to set everything up in one deal and go.

Do any of these seem like a sufficient lighting option for the tank? Is there a good, reasonably budget friendly option I'm missing?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as you plan to mainly keep lps and soft corals i think any of those lights would end up working for you.
I have radions over my 24" deep tank and i only have them at 65% strength and im hitting over 200 PAR on my sandbed.

Im also second what Subsea said, I took a look at your build thread, and where you have the tank at, its gonna be a NIGHTMARE to get inside the tank or do any work, id try considering moving it somewhere else if at all possible.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to derail this thread, but I agree with @Subsea above. That is a deep tank and I don't see how you can realistically do any maintenance on that tank. I would strongly consider an alternate location if you can.

OP
OP
Benh

Benh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at your tank journal thread. How much clearance from top rim of tank to ceiling in alcove that you placed your tank. Looks like a maintenance nightmare to me.
That has been in current considerations. more than likely I will not run the canopy on the tank. Before it gets filled i'm going to be determining whether I can live with the space I have, I am also going to be looking in to why the ceiling in that part of the basement drops down the way it does, possibly I can move it up. I have also considered the idea of shortening the stand by several inches to gain some room on the top side. thankfully I am pretty handy and hands on so tackling some remodeling projects to make it work wont be an issue. but I also dont have another spot as convenient as this for a tank as right on the other side of the wall to the right of the tank is an access to the main water drain for the house. as where water supply comes in to the house. so this gives me a great place to set up RO/DI and a water mixing station, as well as plumb straight from it to the sump for water changes. I also do plan on an auto water change + ATO setup so being able to store ample amounts of water a few feet away as well as have the drain for the wastewater sure beats having to do anything by buckets

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That has been in current considerations. more than likely I will not run the canopy on the tank. Before it gets filled i'm going to be determining whether I can live with the space I have, I am also going to be looking in to why the ceiling in that part of the basement drops down the way it does, possibly I can move it up. I have also considered the idea of shortening the stand by several inches to gain some room on the top side. thankfully I am pretty handy and hands on so tackling some remodeling projects to make it work wont be an issue. but I also dont have another spot as convenient as this for a tank as right on the other side of the wall to the right of the tank is an access to the main water drain for the house. as where water supply comes in to the house. so this gives me a great place to set up RO/DI and a water mixing station, as well as plumb straight from it to the sump for water changes. I also do plan on an auto water change + ATO setup so being able to store ample amounts of water a few feet away as well as have the drain for the wastewater sure beats having to do anything by buckets
What is the largest system that you have operated?

I assure you that your deep tank will stretch your long arms to a point that maintenance is a headache instead of a time to focus on tank rhythm. After 53 years of Reefing, I am a Laissez Faire reefer.

Good fortune on your path.

OP
OP
Benh

Benh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I assure you that your deep tank will stretch your long arms to a point that maintenance is a headache instead of a time to focus on tank rhythm. After 53 years of Reefing, I am a Laissez Faire reefer.

Good fortune on your path.
I have done multiple 100-150g freshwater but never a large saltwater.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My current display being 30" tall I can agree with you and others. The height is nice. Some fish love it. My Pink Square Anthias make use of it. But as you noted maintenance is a headache. We try and tell ourselves that it won't be a problem or how often will we be in there after it is set up. Well more than what we thought.

Add in the fact of fleshy corals such as LPS (thinking of hammers, torch, elegance, and what not) will only make it more difficult. Tongs wont' be of much use and as the corals mature then it is a different ball game. I have a basketball size hammer colony that is 12 years old and impossible to move. Frogspawn, torch, similar. One of those things you have to find the right place to start and leave it.

Tall tanks are doable but require planning today and tomorrow. Focus needs to be on how the hobbyist can get in and do work without wearing scuba gear. Honest. You need to be able to use your hands is what I'm saying and also have a visual, eyesight. Just being honest since my display is 54 x 30 x 30.

With regards to lights one of the better lights for tall tanks are the Kessil a360 or a500 series. The reason why is their lens kits. You add magnetic lens that changes the spread to punch down through the depths or focus a specific animal (clam). I believe the a500 may be out of your budget though. In any case you can read up on them to get an idea of how the lens works. They will need regular maintenance though of blowing out dust, etc. All lights will though.

Being a glutton for punishment I'm considering 32" tall display with my last upgrade in progress. I currently place my rocks on 4" PVC pipes and thinking I can make those taller negating the extra height. Looking at the challenges today, ladders, and what not I'm probably going to stick with 30. Maybe even drop down to 28.

TL: DR - Kessil a360 or a500 due to lens. Tall tanks - everyone is speaking true when saying focus on maintenance. Hard to change once the money is spent.

OP
OP
Benh

Benh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current display being 30" tall I can agree with you and others. The height is nice. Some fish love it. My Pink Square Anthias make use of it. But as you noted maintenance is a headache. We try and tell ourselves that it won't be a problem or how often will we be in there after it is set up. Well more than what we thought.

Add in the fact of fleshy corals such as LPS (thinking of hammers, torch, elegance, and what not) will only make it more difficult. Tongs wont' be of much use and as the corals mature then it is a different ball game. I have a basketball size hammer colony that is 12 years old and impossible to move. Frogspawn, torch, similar. One of those things you have to find the right place to start and leave it.

Tall tanks are doable but require planning today and tomorrow. Focus needs to be on how the hobbyist can get in and do work without wearing scuba gear. Honest. You need to be able to use your hands is what I'm saying and also have a visual, eyesight. Just being honest since my display is 54 x 30 x 30.

With regards to lights one of the better lights for tall tanks are the Kessil a360 or a500 series. The reason why is their lens kits. You add magnetic lens that changes the spread to punch down through the depths or focus a specific animal (clam). I believe the a500 may be out of your budget though. In any case you can read up on them to get an idea of how the lens works. They will need regular maintenance though of blowing out dust, etc. All lights will though.

Being a glutton for punishment I'm considering 32" tall display with my last upgrade in progress. I currently place my rocks on 4" PVC pipes and thinking I can make those taller negating the extra height. Looking at the challenges today, ladders, and what not I'm probably going to stick with 30. Maybe even drop down to 28.

TL: DR - Kessil a360 or a500 due to lens. Tall tanks - everyone is speaking true when saying focus on maintenance. Hard to change once the money is spent.
I too am a glutton for punishment. In the past I have had a 34" tall freshwater tank that was always fun to maintain. I know what I signed up for with the height. Price in comparison to some other lights has been my hesitation to the Kessil stuff, I figure I would probably need at least 3 of them to adequately cover the tank especially with the narrow lenses on them. I would be open to that but am fearful I would need to do 4 and at the cost of 4 it seems like there would be some better options out there, but there again im also the type of person that over researches rather than listening as much as I need to to other people with a lot more hands on experience

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orphek makes lighting for deep tanks .
Talk to them.
The big tank in Riverhead (20,000 gallons) uses various led 500W fixtures.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am a glutton for punishment. In the past I have had a 34" tall freshwater tank that was always fun to maintain. I know what I signed up for with the height. Price in comparison to some other lights has been my hesitation to the Kessil stuff, I figure I would probably need at least 3 of them to adequately cover the tank especially with the narrow lenses on them. I would be open to that but am fearful I would need to do 4 and at the cost of 4 it seems like there would be some better options out there, but there again im also the type of person that over researches rather than listening as much as I need to to other people with a lot more hands on experience

Totally understand. I was using 4 of the Kessil a360x over my 210 which is 30" tall. They work but I later switched to a pair of SKY's. Interesting enough if I do end up upgrading here this year I'll pull them back out and include them back in as fillers. I understand the cost point of view. They can be high.

I think one thing to consider is the ReefFi's Uno 2.0 I think are the latest. Check out @telegraham or do a search as he does a good job of talking about them. They will probably be the more reasonable priced kits out of all and may be able to do a deep enough punch for what you are looking for.

One thing to keep in mind is that there is a thing as too much light. I know we don't talk about it and it goes against marketing but it is true. Especially if you are talking about LPS and soft corals. I think you will find that you could also grow SPS. I have acropora growing on the substrate...

OP
OP
Benh

Benh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally understand. I was using 4 of the Kessil a360x over my 210 which is 30" tall. They work but I later switched to a pair of SKY's. Interesting enough if I do end up upgrading here this year I'll pull them back out and include them back in as fillers. I understand the cost point of view. They can be high.

I think one thing to consider is the ReefFi's Uno 2.0 I think are the latest. Check out @telegraham or do a search as he does a good job of talking about them. They will probably be the more reasonable priced kits out of all and may be able to do a deep enough punch for what you are looking for.

One thing to keep in mind is that there is a thing as too much light. I know we don't talk about it and it goes against marketing but it is true. Especially if you are talking about LPS and soft corals. I think you will find that you could also grow SPS. I have acropora growing on the substrate...
After an earlier recommendation on Reefi I have been looking at the Uno 2.0 pro today, seems like a super solid option at an awesome price. It looks like a couple of them would do really well for the tank. I am part of a monthly subscription deal through one of my LFS and with that they will come out and do a free PAR test so I could always dial back lights if what I have is too much.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After an earlier recommendation on Reefi I have been looking at the Uno 2.0 pro today, seems like a super solid option at an awesome price. It looks like a couple of them would do really well for the tank. I am part of a monthly subscription deal through one of my LFS and with that they will come out and do a free PAR test so I could always dial back lights if what I have is too much.
Personal lighting application follows, so grain of sand that crap.

I use three 200W-class lights over a 4', but I like more powerful lights turned down instead of small lights turned up.

Two 100W-class XR15s would need to be dang near under the water to give you maybe enough light over a 4'. I very much doubt you'd be happy with that option, as their PAR per watt is silly low.

The Uno 2 will allow for higher mounting heights, as all in, that little 270W beast can throw some light. The spectrum of the Uno will make you happy. The price will make you happy (it's less than an XR15 but is more powerful than an XR30). The warranty will make you happy.

I bought my Uno 2. This isn't a sponsored comment.

There's also the Quanta Helix on the horizon. When it goes live, you'll find it here. https://www.quantareef.com/ I have some details, but can't share yet.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reefi Uno 2's would be my choice, but I'm with @telegraham I'm patiently waiting for the Helix to be released. If it's anywhere near the Quanta Pro bars (which I'm sure it will surpass them greatly) then it would be my top choice. In fact, just hearing @Lousybreed talk about how he developed this fixture had me from the start.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back