What Lights for New Setup With Nyos Opus 300?

rhpmiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm about to begin setup of my Nyos Opus G2 300 (36"L x 22"W x 21"H) and wanted to get some advice on lighting setup for the tank...

I'm upgrading from a 20g Red Sea Max Nano mixed reef setup that used the Red Sea LED 90--fine, but want better spread and less hot spots--and plan on having an SPS dominant tank.

I'm really down to considering 2 Radion XR 15s vs. 2 AI Hydra 32 HDs. The below visual is what I tried to map out with the AI Hydras, as far as coverage (yellow) and overlap (orange), and seem to have enough coverage and distance from the sides/front/back of the tank.

What i'm hoping to get some insight into is:
1) Would the proposed setup of 2 of each type of light, whichever brand I choose, be appropriate for a 3ft long SPS-dominant tank?

2) I've read all the threads about people providing pros/cons for both Radions and Hydras, but does it really matter? All other things consistent--nutrients, flow, etc.--you can succeed with SPS dominant with both, right?

3) Any other thoughts, items of notes, recos, etc. that you would share or suggest?

Screen Shot 2024-02-28 at 8.27.06 AM.png

Really appreciate any thoughts, advice and guidance!

Last edited:
OP
OP
rhpmiller

rhpmiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Finn450

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just setup the Opus G2 300...Running the Ap9x inside a 24" Aquatic Life T5 fixture...lights the tank perfectly. SPS dominant.

Finn450

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started setting up the same tank, 24" Aquatic Life fixture with 2 XR30 Radions Gen5. Also 3 OPUS tanks in the thread and no build threads ? :face-with-tongue:
That's a nice lighting setup...I'm waiting on multiple issues with the tank to be answered and rectified before posting anything! I'm considering it a courtesy to Nyos.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%

Back