What Lights for New Setup With Nyos Opus 300?

rhpmiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm about to begin setup of my Nyos Opus G2 300 (36"L x 22"W x 21"H) and wanted to get some advice on lighting setup for the tank...

I'm upgrading from a 20g Red Sea Max Nano mixed reef setup that used the Red Sea LED 90--fine, but want better spread and less hot spots--and plan on having an SPS dominant tank.

I'm really down to considering 2 Radion XR 15s vs. 2 AI Hydra 32 HDs. The below visual is what I tried to map out with the AI Hydras, as far as coverage (yellow) and overlap (orange), and seem to have enough coverage and distance from the sides/front/back of the tank.

What i'm hoping to get some insight into is:
1) Would the proposed setup of 2 of each type of light, whichever brand I choose, be appropriate for a 3ft long SPS-dominant tank?

2) I've read all the threads about people providing pros/cons for both Radions and Hydras, but does it really matter? All other things consistent--nutrients, flow, etc.--you can succeed with SPS dominant with both, right?

3) Any other thoughts, items of notes, recos, etc. that you would share or suggest?

Screen Shot 2024-02-28 at 8.27.06 AM.png

Really appreciate any thoughts, advice and guidance!

Last edited:
OP
OP
rhpmiller

rhpmiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Finn450

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just setup the Opus G2 300...Running the Ap9x inside a 24" Aquatic Life T5 fixture...lights the tank perfectly. SPS dominant.

Finn450

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started setting up the same tank, 24" Aquatic Life fixture with 2 XR30 Radions Gen5. Also 3 OPUS tanks in the thread and no build threads ? :face-with-tongue:
That's a nice lighting setup...I'm waiting on multiple issues with the tank to be answered and rectified before posting anything! I'm considering it a courtesy to Nyos.

ClownMother

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a nice lighting setup...I'm waiting on multiple issues with the tank to be answered and rectified before posting anything! I'm considering it a courtesy to Nyos.
Could you please share issues with the tank?! I'm like 20 minutes away from purchasing as I'm in love with the tank....lol

RoanokeReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you please share issues with the tank?! I'm like 20 minutes away from purchasing as I'm in love with the tank....lol
Since you're close to purchasing I believe his only issue was the valve his came with. There was an old design valve that is very finicky for adjustments and had a chance to rust (1 case I could find). This was corrected by NYOS however, but some US suppliers still have the old design. I had two and one came with the old design and one came with the new design. He did finally get NYOS to replace the old valve. I love the tank and venture to guess you will as well, very well built. I recommend ordering from BRS since they are owned by the importer for NYOS.

ClownMother

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you're close to purchasing I believe his only issue was the valve his came with. There was an old design valve that is very finicky for adjustments and had a chance to rust (1 case I could find). This was corrected by NYOS however, but some US suppliers still have the old design. I had two and one came with the old design and one came with the new design. He did finally get NYOS to replace the old valve. I love the tank and venture to guess you will as well, very well built. I recommend ordering from BRS since they are owned by the importer for NYOS.
Awesome! Thank you So much! If you don't mind what equipment are you running on yours?
Below is what I'm considering:
Sump - Standard
Lights - (2) XR15 G6 Pro
Powerhead - (1) MP40 OR (2) Nero5 ** I like that MP40 wires are outside tank
Return- Vectra S2 OR Vectra M2
Heater- Helio 400 Watt (2x 200 elements)
Skimmer - Very undecided.... Nyos 120 OR Red Sea RSK 300 OR Reef Octopus ??? OR Bubble Magus Curve 7

Plan on a mixed reef with Med - Heavy Bioload
I have never had a sump before.

RoanokeReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump - Reefmat 500
Lights - 2 XR30 Gen5 Blue; 36" Aquatic Life T5 Hybrid
Powerhead - Orbit 4 and Nero5
Return - Cor15
Heater - Helio500w
Skimmer - NYOS 120

I'm going heavy on SPS. Your plan looks good to me, I would go with the Vectra S2 over the M2 if it was me as the M2 seems like overkill for this tank. Another thing you may want to order is an ATO, I use a Neptune ATK but Tunze makes a nice one also.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we are going to discuss Lights, lets get in depth. This is a chart I grabbed from https://www.reefi-lab.com/reefi-uno-2-0-pro/
It lists the wattage output, diode count per channel, cost per watt etc. You can pour over this data yourself but you will find the Reefi Lab UNO 2.0 light is hands down the best bang for your buck currently and with a 3yr warranty, 1yr longer than anyone else I believe it's hard not to like these lights, then ya see the price...HALF what Radion's or Kessil's will cost and More Wattage and Channels!!
1714487613638.png

I totally get it if Money is Not a Problem, I can only dream of having wealth like that someday so when I start looking to invest my pennies, I look for not only the best Long Term Value, but Cost to Use ratio is huge also especially with recent attacks on the economy forcing the cost of everything thru the roof!!!

How do they preform? Here is 2 of mine, pictures taken a year apart. My tank is just over 1yr old now so most of the growth has actually taken place in the last 4 months or so.

stylo1yr.jpg

I'll add one last tidbit, Dana Riddle uses Reefi's on one of his tanks I believe I saw in his Build Threads. Neptune Sky on his other I think.

Pertinent Link https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reefi-led-uno-testing-soon.766239/

ClownMother

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump - Reefmat 500
Lights - 2 XR30 Gen5 Blue; 36" Aquatic Life T5 Hybrid
Powerhead - Orbit 4 and Nero5
Return - Cor15
Heater - Helio500w
Skimmer - NYOS 120

I'm going heavy on SPS. Your plan looks good to me, I would go with the Vectra S2 over the M2 if it was me as the M2 seems like overkill for this tank. Another thing you may want to order is an ATO, I use a Neptune ATK but Tunze makes a nice one also.
Awesome! How is the Reefmat 500 working out? I'm literally so excited to get this tank. Would you mind a few pics of your display and sump?! Also, Do you think the pro-line vs. slim line would be worth the extra $400... lol

I'll probably eventually get a doser or auto tester and I feel the extra room may be nice? BUT not sure if it's totally worth it.

ClownMother

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we are going to discuss Lights, lets get in depth. This is a chart I grabbed from https://www.reefi-lab.com/reefi-uno-2-0-pro/
It lists the wattage output, diode count per channel, cost per watt etc. You can pour over this data yourself but you will find the Reefi Lab UNO 2.0 light is hands down the best bang for your buck currently and with a 3yr warranty, 1yr longer than anyone else I believe it's hard not to like these lights, then ya see the price...HALF what Radion's or Kessil's will cost and More Wattage and Channels!!
1714487613638.png

I totally get it if Money is Not a Problem, I can only dream of having wealth like that someday so when I start looking to invest my pennies, I look for not only the best Long Term Value, but Cost to Use ratio is huge also especially with recent attacks on the economy forcing the cost of everything thru the roof!!!

How do they preform? Here is 2 of mine, pictures taken a year apart. My tank is just over 1yr old now so most of the growth has actually taken place in the last 4 months or so.

stylo1yr.jpg

I'll add one last tidbit, Dana Riddle uses Reefi's on one of his tanks I believe I saw in his Build Threads. Neptune Sky on his other I think.

Pertinent Link https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reefi-led-uno-testing-soon.766239/
I'll check these out! I just already have 1 XR15 PRO G6 on my 30 gallon AIO so wanted to keep them uniform... BUT I totally get the prices of electricity.... lol

RoanokeReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! How is the Reefmat 500 working out? I'm literally so excited to get this tank. Would you mind a few pics of your display and sump?! Also, Do you think the pro-line vs. slim line would be worth the extra $400... lol

I'll probably eventually get a doser or auto tester and I feel the extra room may be nice? BUT not sure if it's totally worth it.
There's pictures in my build thread, Click the My Tank Thread under my name on the right :) I went with the slim because I know I would eventually drip water and didn't want to deal with the rubber seal on the pro line. I like the reefmat so far but only have had the tank fully running for a few days. Just as an FYI I modified my sump for the reefmat so I could hard plumb. It will fit with the flex hose with no mods.

Finn450

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is correct. The valve was the issue that was corrected by Nyos. The System is fantastic.

javajaws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rhpmiller - I'd be concerned about SPS limitations and not enough PAR for an SPS dominant tank with only XR15s. And you'd probably have to run them all channels (or near all channels) at max which would limit your ability to adjust spectrum without losing too much PAR. I think those are much better for LPS or shallower tanks. For roughly the same price as 2 XR15s get these:

Oh - and I'm in Austin (Round Rock)

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 81 48.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back